Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
hankaye

DM2652 on the fritz

Howdy All;

My turn;

2 weeks ago the light went out, bulb cheched ,ok. Couldn't get continuity between + and - contacts. Figured it is the switch. Not used to a light in an RV's fridge anyway so moved on...

Last night, about 10:25, when I normally take Rascal out for his "Last out" walk I noticed that the Power ON light was not on for the fridge.
The fridge wasn't working neither A/C or D/C sides

When we got back, priorities are priorities, I broke out the multi-meter, flashlight, and screwdrivers.
Popped of the access panel, unpluged the A/C, fired-up the multi-meter, had a good solid 120 vac, check.
switched over to the DC setting, 13.4 vdc, at the screw studs where the 12 volt "connections are, check.

Took the cover off the circut board, checked to see if I had continituity for both fuses. check and check.

Looked very closely for burned looking areas and "sniff" checked for any burnt oders. neg. and neg.

So, I have power TO both sides of the circutboard, I even have power to BOTH (3 amp. D/C and 5 amp. A/C), fuses on the board.

So, anyone have any insights or ideas

Thanks for your thoughts;

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Hank, Is it working on gas? Hank ( is there an echo in here???)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
hankaye

Hank, Howdy;

Hank, no the gas is NOT working. hank

echo, what ...echo oh.

Got lucky an found a "service" person at CW when I called midday.
Went over everything that I had checked and it 's beginning to sound like the circutboard in the back or the controler board. Fingers X'ed for the board outside. I'll haul it up there in the morning ... lucky thing is the reefer 'guy' is open for the next 2 weeks. Just has one to work on tomorrow morning. With luck I should be home tomorrow evening and if they don't have it on hand I ask them to overnight it to me.
Gotta get it fixed. Had to go 10 miles to get to a decient Cheesburger for dinner tonight. Couldn't even call out for a pizza all of the pizza joints are closed on Sunday around here

Oh, well. Positive attitude always helps...

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Hank,

If you do find it's the control board in the back, Dinosaur Electronics makes a replacement board with a 3 year warranty. That's what I put in my HR when the Dometic board died in 1996. It was still working well last we heard from the neighbor that bought our trailer when we left LA headed to MI. That board is now about 15 years old and still perking..... Back then, cost was a wash, not sure about now though.

I suppose you're going to take it to the dealer for service. So if you're covered by a Dometic warranty, suppose you'll get the Dometic board, but if you have a choice, if the Dinosaur board is available, it's a much more reliable board.

You can check them out at: http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/index.htm

Our reefer went out this spring, it's no fun not having a cool "adult beverage" in the afternoons.....

Good Luck

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
hankaye

Howdy All;

Fridge works !!!

The tech. at CW, just chuckled. Told me the next time to take the fuses OUT . I check for voltage I feel small. I was inadvertantly using the meter as a jumper Thinking this is "Stupid Human Trick #32"

Good news is I found out that if the 12VDC 3amp. fuse goes. It ALL goes !
Replaced the fuse, ... fridge is chillin' Go get me some new groceries tomorrow. The 120VAC 5amp. fuse can 'pop' and the 12 volt side will keep on tickin' like an old Timex.
The heart of the fridg. is that 3 amp. fuse in the 12 volt circut ! At least it isfor the DM2652...

Your mileage may vary .....

hankaye

Old 09-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

That's GREAT news!!! As for the "human tricks" part. I taught electronics theory in the Air Force for years, know enough to be totally dangerous around electricity.... Anyway, I also have a habit of never EVER throwing anything away. I keep old fuses (rather than toss them in the woods) to prevent litter. Anyway, Back when most electronics had glass fuses, I had a stereo go out in a camper. It was a "custom install" with all kinds of "stuff" that had to be taken out before you could get to the stereo. When I initially installed it, I purposely wired the power lines so the fuses would be accessable easily.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I checked the fuse, it looked blown, I replaced it with a fuse from my onboard supply, still no stereo, spent the next 3 hours removing it to see what was wrong, got it all out, no power, rechecked the fuse..... YUP, I had replaced the bad fuse with one of my "saved blown ones". So, 3 more hours to reinstall it... 6 hours later, and far too many "choice words" later, I had music again. All this happened in the Colorado mountains, near Colombine, north of Steamboat Springs on the most "miserable" elk hunt I ever went on.... Oh well, I no longer keep old fuses.

Moral of the story: Don't keep bad parts with good parts...... <sigh>

Glad you have cool ones available again

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote