Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
MikeG

Leaking Shower supply risers

Hello,
Appreciate any suggestions on how to fix leaking shower supply braided risers.
Both hot and cold leaking at the metal clamp right before the tightening knobs at the underbelly connection to the main water lines.

I tried tightening and putting plumbers tape on the threads and that didn't help.

Can I cut and clamp the braided line? Anyone done that before?

I was going to try "superseal". Any feedback on that approach?

Thanks,
Mike
2008 Cougar 276 RLS
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Handysam

Mike do you have regular PLEX water lines? If so you can get the couplings at Home Depot and splice in a couple of those. Its pretty easy. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 02-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Bob Landry

It sounds like he's talking about the flexible plastic hose that you buy at HD that has the tracer threads in it for reinforcement. If so, then it's perfectly acceptable to clamp the connections. That's the only way to do it where they won't leak. If the hose is long enough, I would cut a clean end and work with that. Also make sure they didn't use mismatched size size hose and connector. The hose should be a snug fit even before clamping it.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
MikeG

Its the braided riser, not the pex that is leaking

Thanks for the advice!

I do have the PEX lines, however where the leaks are happening is from the "Midtec EASYRISER Potable Water Supply Riser 1/2" FIP swivel". It is a braided supply line. Its leaking right at the metal band before the black tightener.

So, if I have to cut the braided line with the metal band before the tighteners, can I couple that line and extend it to the PEX T where it hooks up? If so, what type of tubing/pipe do I use to couple to the PEX T. The braided supply line is not PEX, and the other end of the braided line goes up into the shower.

Thanks again for any tips
Mike
Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Bob Landry

Braided could still be a couple of different things and you still have not verified exactly what you are working with and how it's leaking. A photo of the area would be beneficial towards us helping you solve your problem. I've been in the marine repair business for years and can probably help you, but I can't get a visual on what you're trying to fix.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
MikeG

Leaking Braided Riser to shower

Hi there,
Thanks so much for your willingness to help. The risers are leaking right where my finger is pointed in this picture. At the metal clamp just before the tightening knob.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	043.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	273  
Old 02-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Handysam

Mike make sure you don't Over tighten the black nut, those should just be hand tight. If I were you I would try and replace the "T" and see if that does not help, or replace the whole line. How long is the line off the "T"?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

That looks like a standard ½"FPT X ½"FPT faucet supply. Depending on how long it is it should be available at a home store or plumbing supply. The sealing washer may have kinked from over-tightening or be missing. Some use a cone washer, others a flat one. If you can't find the right length you can put two together. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
JReinhart

don't cut those, just replace them. If you cut them you will never seal them again. Those are standard braided supplies available at home depot, etc. Just check your length. I also suggest getting the one with a metal nut (if possible) instead of plastic as the plastic one tend to loosen off. As a rule of thumb I install these hand tight plus a half turn with a wrench.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #10
MikeG

Leaking shower supply

I would love to replace the braided (plastic) 1/2 inch supply riser, however I can't find how to access the other end's connection point at the shower faucet. It just goes inside a tube from the underbelly.

Do I have to remove the entire shower enclosure? That's more than I can comfortably do and hate to spend the big bucks to have the dealer do it.

Is there any other way to access it?

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I would love to replace the braided (plastic) 1/2 inch supply riser, however I can't find how to access the other end's connection point at the shower faucet. It just goes inside a tube from the underbelly.

Do I have to remove the entire shower enclosure? That's more than I can comfortably do and hate to spend the big bucks to have the dealer do it.

Is there any other way to access it?

Thanks everyone.

My model has an access panel from the rear of the entertainment center. ( TV ) I'm not sure if all models have this.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #12
Handysam

Yes I agree with Hank that there should be an access panel to the rear of the showers faucet. Ours has one also. Or perhaps you could pull out the faucet to reach the back end and replace it that way. You could contact Keystone for a schematic or ask the dealer how they would replace it. They may be able to give you some insight.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
MikeG

Not the shower risers after all

Thanks to all your help, I found the access panel and realized its not the shower riser after all. Rather, they are the connectors to the exterior shower. Do I just break the silicon and unscrew the box to access the other end of the hoses?