Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #21
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Brantel,

Not to question your visual inspection of your brakes, but, are you sure they are Dexter brakes? It is my understanding that everything under the Cougar line in the past 3 or 4 years has all been Lippert. From the axles, bearings, springs, equalizers and brakes, they all come as a single assembly, installed on the trailer frame while it's upside down at the front door of the assembly line, then rotated "wheels down" and tires/wheels are installed....

Not saying your brakes aren't Dexter, just that I'm surprised they aren't Lippert... And, yes, LCI does buy most of their components from the lowest bidder (in China).....
Dexter supplies the east coast trailers made in Indiana and Lippert supplies the west coast trailers made in Oregon.
Steveo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Dexter supplies the east coast trailers made in Indiana and Lippert supplies the west coast trailers made in Oregon.
That may be "the way things are today", but historically, it's not always "Dexter east/Lippert west"... My trailer was made in Indiana and has Lippert axles. One of the "features" listed in the Cougar fifth wheel and Half Ton fifth wheel trailers for the past several years is the "Road Armor Wheel Suspension package with 360 Vibration Protection. That's a Lippert product.

The Half Ton travel trailers are not manufactured in the same facility as the fifth wheel trailers, so components used will differ. I understand that Keystone has (or is) building a new manufacturing line for the Cougar Half Ton fifth wheel series and separating that production from the "full size Cougar fifth wheel line. Until recently, both were "run down the same assembly line on different days".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #23
Brantel

Mine has Dexter axles, brakes and springs but has the road armor equalizer suspension system.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:03 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Mine has Dexter axles, brakes and springs but has the road armor equalizer suspension system.
In this day of "supply chain problems" the factory will use what they have or what they can get to keep the line moving. While there's a "preference for using the same equipment during a model year production run" you can almost count on production changes/substitutions throughout the year. If anyone has "OEM equipment throughout" consider it more luck than intention.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #25
Javi

Quote:
So did my Avalanche before I had the disc brakes installed
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Mine had the same (with self adjusting brakes) until I replaced it all including disc brakes.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #27
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Same here, trailer built in 2017, I believe this is prior to the current supply chain issues. The Dexter self adjusting brakes have been replaced with disc brakes.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #28
Brantel

To update folks on this post, Dexter will be covering the parts under warranty. Thanks Dexter for such great customer service.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:26 AM   #29
Brantel

Finally getting around to replacing all 4 brake systems and drums that Dexter sent me. (Thanks Dexter!)

What I found was that all 3 remaining brake system and drums were totally contaminated by excess grease that apparently came from either the factory or the dealer using the EZ Lube feature on these axles at PDI. I have never used this feature on this rig and have not done a hand repack on them since this was the end of the first season for this 2021 rig.

It is very likely that the grease contamination could have caused the original brake lining to delaminate and that the other 3 brakes would have failed soon also.

Personally I think the EZ Lube axles on RV's is a very bad idea!

The dealer for my next rig will have to prove to me that the brakes are not contaminated during the PDI process before I will take ownership!

On the bright side, I imagine my rig will stop much better now that I will have 4 brakes that are not coated in axle grease!