Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2021, 04:41 PM   #1
art1046

Trailer bumper specs

Does anyone know how to find the specs on the 4"x4" steel bumper for carrying bikes or other extra items? I have a Springdale 257RLLSWE (my spec sheet has everything you would want except the bumper).
art1046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Are you looking for weight limits?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
Canonman

The rear "bumper" is for the most part a complete misnomer. At best it is a holder for the stinky slinky and not much more. Do NOT consider adding a bolt on receiver hitch to this flimsy excuse for a bumper. The steel is too thin. The weight of bicycles or any cargo will (not might) tear the metal of the bumper from the welds that hold it ot the frame.
Go to a good welding fab shop and have a receiver hitch installed to the trailer frame. Then add your cargo with confidence using a rated receiver cargo rck rack or bike rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8241.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	33377  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by art1046 View Post
Does anyone know how to find the specs on the 4"x4" steel bumper for carrying bikes or other extra items? I have a Springdale 257RLLSWE (my spec sheet has everything you would want except the bumper).
It's rated to haul the sewer hose & not the best option for that, after it rust inside it'll rub tiny holes in the hose.
Agree, have a real hitch welded to the frame then add bike racks or whatever you need to haul.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:52 AM   #5
spicercars

Do not attach anything to the rear bumper without some kind of reinforcement. They are very light steel. You would be better off installing a receiver hitch and using that for a bike rack or cargo carrier.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:06 AM   #6
notanlines

Art, almost invariably there will one 'member' who will now post about their bumper holding two spares and three bikes for 10K miles and not one problem. Ignore them. Instead, listen to what was said above^^^^ and you'll be miles ahead.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:36 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

The rear bumbers are maxed out with a spare tire. There have been several threads on this subject, some with photos of the aftermath of failed bumbers from bike racks. If you search the forum use Google to search, example type in "bumper mounted bike rack Keystone forum" and you will find the threads.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:02 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Art, almost invariably there will one 'member' who will now post about their bumper holding two spares and three bikes for 10K miles and not one problem. Ignore them. Instead, listen to what was said above^^^^ and you'll be miles ahead.

I'll be the one! I'll be the one!

Well, kind of.....

Actually, I have successfully carried bicycles on my previous sewer-hose bumper travel trailers without any problems. I guess I was just lucky.

I wasn't aware of a potential problem of loosing my bumper for quite a while, until running into these internet-RV-camping forums and then I had the ... OH NO moment. I went out, checked the bumper on my "then" current travel trailer and checked the welds. They were welded across all the joints, not just spot welded in a 2 places. The extra welding is what saved the sewer hose bumper from ripping off. What I didn't notice right off, until I did some measuring, was the actual bumper was slightly twisted from the weight of the bicycles and the carrier itself. The welds held fine, the actual bumper was not strong enough, even though it was a square tube, it was just too thin of metal to support the weight with mega G-forces bouncing the bicycles up and down.

Well, I removed the bicycle carrier, and never did that again. BUT! The bumper never ripped off either!
Old 05-05-2021, 06:02 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't know the statistics and it's not worth the time to look them up, but I'd guess there are hundreds (probably thousands) of people who use their rear bumper for years without ever having a problem... There are probably hundreds (or even thousands) who are "clueless" that they were "on the verge of a complete bumper failure, from broken welds or bent/broken metal bumper material...

Here are a few photos of the "other category", people who weren't quite so lucky.....

Even with "excellent insurance" is the inconvenience of having to file a claim worth the convenience of having a precarious storage space..... Not to mention the vehicles following behind you having to dodge the debris you drop on the road (hopefully they won't have an accident trying to avoid your stuff)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper failure 1.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	33386   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper failure 2.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	33387   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper failure 3.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	33388   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper failure 4.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	33389  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #10
travelin texans

There's also a product out there that reinforces the welds, but it does nothing for the flimsy thin walled material in the center section where you would most likely mount a bike rack.
If you have a TT they make a rack that goes up/over the propane tanks in the front which is a better location, at least they're visible in the mirror.
Well I guess they'd be visible in the mirror mounted on the bumper.............. once you're 1/2 mile from it laying in the road.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:08 AM   #11
notanlines

I wanna report Dutchmansport! He's "That Guy!"
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #12
Urbish

I went with a Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk (like Travelin Texans mentioned above) that mounts to the A-frame of my TT. I disassembled the cheap bike carrier I have and reversed the arms for the bikes so they sit close to the front of the TT and so my hatch will clear the bikes when everything is hooked up. They aren't secured in the photo, but sit well clear of the front of the TT when I have them strapped in. As a bonus I can see them in the rear view mirror as well as in my back up camera.

One caveat: Stromberg Carlson had their own QC issues and the first Bike Bunk I got was missing several critical welds. See my thread here:
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=46528

Urbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #13
dwdlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
The rear "bumper" is for the most part a complete misnomer. At best it is a holder for the stinky slinky and not much more. Do NOT consider adding a bolt on receiver hitch to this flimsy excuse for a bumper. The steel is too thin. The weight of bicycles or any cargo will (not might) tear the metal of the bumper from the welds that hold it ot the frame.
Go to a good welding fab shop and have a receiver hitch installed to the trailer frame. Then add your cargo with confidence using a rated receiver cargo rck rack or bike rack.
I can tell you from experience that Canonman is right on the mark on this one. It's not a question of if it will happen, it is a question of when. Mine busted loose on a longer trip, and I dropped two expensive bikes in the middle of the highway...not to mention other damage.
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #14
lcarver02

Close to zero. It just holds the crapper hose. If you want to carry some bicycles, get a hitch receiver ball, and buy some kind of bicycle mount that attaches to the ball.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 07:11 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasilvan View Post
Have you checked the manual? It can be useful
Welcome to the forum. Just curious, why tag on to a 2 yr old post and recommend that the OP "check the manual" when he said that was the first place he looked?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 05:03 AM   #16
Urbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Welcome to the forum. Just curious, why tag on to a 2 yr old post and recommend that the OP "check the manual" when he said that was the first place he looked?
That's because this individual or bot is a spammer whose only purpose here is to get people to click on the link they posted.
Urbish is offline   Reply With Quote