Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
May

Question Toilet Paper-I see it !

I could really use some suggestions... 2007 Keystone Springdale 299bhds
With COVID, my park isn't letting us use their bathrooms. So we've had to use our toilet for poops (ew... yes I used that word) when we have never done that before.

I can see the wad of toilet paper... How do I get it down into the black holding tank like the liquid waste ? I've tried baking soda and vinegar... hot water with dish soap.

It's way too far down to reach by hand. Is there a miracle liquid that will dissolve it (without wrecking my pipes/plumbing?)...My teenager thought he'd help me, and went and got a big stick from the marsh behind our trailer and pushed it down further ! (UGH!)

Thanks a bunch !
May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

May, toilet paper "you see it"? Where? Stuck in the chute under the commode before it gets to the tank? Pushed it "down further" with a stick? How is that paper stuck there that close?

Some things; water is your friend with the black tank and commode. Put lots of water in the tank before using it (valve should be closed). Use lots of water every time you use it. Use MINIMAL paper in the tank; you are not in a S&B house on a city sewer system. I've never had toilet paper stick to the wall of the chute in all my years; ever. Sounds like you are using way too much paper and way too little water. Hopefully all the "stuff" hasn't built up under the commode and solidified.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
May

Yes it's in the chute on the way to the tank...
I think you're right-we're not using enough water... Yes I think it's probably become stuck to the side ! frig... This has only been over the past month...
Old 06-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Since you said that you "normally only use the trailer toilet for #1 and use the campground toilet for #2, I'd ask, do you normally leave the black tank (toilet tank) valve open and let it drain continuously???

If you do, and if, for the past month, you've been using the trailer toilet for #2 with that valve open, I'd guess you have a "dreaded poop pyramid"... That's a "mound of poop and paper" that's dried in a pyramid shape, now, blocking your toilet "chute" preventing more poop and paper from entering the black tank....

If you've ever used a pit toilet in a primitive campground or an outhouse, if you looked down the hole, you saw a solid mass directly under the hole... That's something like what you have under the "chute hole" in your black tank...

Toilet paper, when it gets wet and then dries, becomes "concrete"... very difficult to break up (especially with a stick from the marsh out back)… The best thing to do is to spend some time closing the black tank valve, filling the black tank full, letting it sit (to soften the paper) and empty the tank, fill it again, let it sit overnight, empty in the morning and repeat until you soften and break up the poop pyramid...

You might "cautiously and gently" use that stick to help break up the pyramid, but use extreme caution. Your black tank is made of plastic and over the years from 2007 to now, that plastic has aged and has become brittle, so slamming a stick down the toilet and hitting the bottom of the black tank is a good way to break through the plastic and create even bigger problems...

Soften the paper by soaking it with the black tank full...

And: NEVER, EVER, use the black tank with the valve open. ALWAYS keep a good volume of water in the tank so the solids that get flushed "down that chute" have the water to help "float them away from the hole, making way for the next flush"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
Huntme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Since you said that you "normally only use the trailer toilet for #1 and use the campground toilet for #2, I'd ask, do you normally leave the black tank (toilet tank) valve open and let it drain continuously???

If you do, and if, for the past month, you've been using the trailer toilet for #2 with that valve open, I'd guess you have a "dreaded poop pyramid"... That's a "mound of poop and paper" that's dried in a pyramid shape, now, blocking your toilet "chute" preventing more poop and paper from entering the black tank....

If you've ever used a pit toilet in a primitive campground or an outhouse, if you looked down the hole, you saw a solid mass directly under the hole... That's something like what you have under the "chute hole" in your black tank...

Toilet paper, when it gets wet and then dries, becomes "concrete"... very difficult to break up (especially with a stick from the marsh out back)… The best thing to do is to spend some time closing the black tank valve, filling the black tank full, letting it sit (to soften the paper) and empty the tank, fill it again, let it sit overnight, empty in the morning and repeat until you soften and break up the poop pyramid...

You might "cautiously and gently" use that stick to help break up the pyramid, but use extreme caution. Your black tank is made of plastic and over the years from 2007 to now, that plastic has aged and has become brittle, so slamming a stick down the toilet and hitting the bottom of the black tank is a good way to break through the plastic and create even bigger problems...

Soften the paper by soaking it with the black tank full...

And: NEVER, EVER, use the black tank with the valve open. ALWAYS keep a good volume of water in the tank so the solids that get flushed "down that chute" have the water to help "float them away from the hole, making way for the next flush"....

well said.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:45 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The (in)famous poo pyramid.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:32 AM   #7
notanlines

May, I fully agree with the above comments. And one more thing: Keep your teenager AWAY from this situation. If he were to do something stupid, as teens are want to do, you'll pay the price. If even a small piece of that stick broke off in the tank you'll possibly have a thousand dollar repair on your hands. Handle this as recommended above, and DON'T LEAVE THE TANK while it is filling with water.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:14 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

In May's defense, if the trailer was purchased used and they never used it for "solid waste" then it may have been the previous owner's doing.

That said you have been given good advice and irregards to who made the mess it's yours to deal with. The other option if you are connected to full hook ups is to get a toilet wand which is a length of plastic pipe that screws onto a garden hose and has a hole in the other end to direct the water. You could pout that down the commode (USING A DIFFERENT WATER HOSE, DO NOT USE YOUR HOSE FOR SUPPLYING DRINKING WATER) open the dump valve and let it run.Periodically rotate the wand to direct the spray in another area and monitor it.

If you don't have one now get a clear sewer hose connection and connect it inbetween the camper and the sewer hose. They are about 5" long and around $8-$10. That will allow you to monitor how well it's draining and if the solids are breaking up and moving as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
travelin texans

As for not using the RV toilet as it was designed, not going #2, just remove it & put in a cabinet or something useful.
We've met several that will ONLY use the toilet for #1 at night, never #2, & won't use the shower, what a waste.
Sorry not trying to be a smart a##, but it's a toilet, just like in the public facilities that are closed due to CV19, you use it, you flush it, the difference being is you have to (or should) open a valve occasionally to get rid of it.
Close the black valve, use plenty of water per flush & use the toilet, about every 5-7 days you'll have drain & flush out the black tank.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I know someone that won't use, nor allow anyone else to use the toilet or shower in their camper. I told him to rip it all out except the sink and install a kegerator, an ice machine, and wine fridge. Then put a sign on the door "wet bar". May as well get some use out of the space!
Old 07-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #11
May

HI John
I have a big black tank where my grey and dirty tanks release to. Inside I have a dirty tank (toilet), and a grey tank (dishwater). Normally the park comes around on Mondays with the waste truck, and will pull the valves to release the dirty tank, and the grey tank, into the big black tank at the back of the trailer/underneath. Sometimes it's full (will come up into the tub) from the grey tank being full, and I will release it before they come on a Monday, then close it again. They will re-release it on Mondays when they come to empty it all.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:21 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I am assuming the "big black tank" at the back of the trailer is not part of the trailer but a separate tank ; sort of a holding tank until the waste truck arrives??

If the valve is staying closed and only opened for/by the waste truck it would seem your issue is too much paper and not enough water. How big/bad the situation is will be determined by the "pyramid". Then it's back to getting rid of the pyramid by whatever means (not poking with a stick) and using proper amounts of paper/water going forward.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
Johnnyfry

Maybe not for everyone, but we never put TP down the toilet, we use a bag. That said, I recommend Scott single ply TP. It seems to be popular as many prople on the groups use it. Lots less expensive than the Camping World RV TP!
As for the stuck paper, I suggest using a hook made from a wire coathanger and pulling the stuck piece(s) back out. Bringing in a hose with a nozzle and aiming it down the hole might also do the trick and take off whatever is making the paper stick to the pipe.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by May View Post
HI John
I have a big black tank where my grey and dirty tanks release to. Inside I have a dirty tank (toilet), and a grey tank (dishwater). Normally the park comes around on Mondays with the waste truck, and will pull the valves to release the dirty tank, and the grey tank, into the big black tank at the back of the trailer/underneath. Sometimes it's full (will come up into the tub) from the grey tank being full, and I will release it before they come on a Monday, then close it again. They will re-release it on Mondays when they come to empty it all.
I would suggest you contact the honey dipper (the waste water evacuation truck) and explain your situation. As them if they can perhaps schedule a few extra stops until you get the situation resolved.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

May, Not to be "pointing fingers at someone I have never met" but are you sure the "honey wagon guys" are actually closing the black tank valve? Or is it possible that they just leave it open until they pump the big tank????

If they have been doing that, it would easily explain why you have a poop pyramid. If they have been closing the valve (and doing that part properly) then it would seem that someone "inside the trailer" is simply putting too much TP down the chute....

At this point, you don't want to add more TP to the problem, at least not until you get the pyramid resolved and broken up. So, I'd suggest a trash can beside the toilet with a self closing lid and a plastic bag as a liner. Just do your business, then put all the TP in the trash can. That will prevent the additional paper from compounding the problem and will also allow you to keep the black tank at least half full of water to help soak and soften the hardened pile.

As said, use something rigid to help break up the pile (from the top) but don't get too aggressive as you don't want to poke holes in the tank itself...

It may take a week or more of soaking and breaking up the pieces before things flow again. In the mean time, don't add to the problem if you can avoid it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
Maybe not for everyone, but we never put TP down the toilet, we use a bag. That said, I recommend Scott single ply TP. It seems to be popular as many prople on the groups use it. Lots less expensive than the Camping World RV TP!
As for the stuck paper, I suggest using a hook made from a wire coathanger and pulling the stuck piece(s) back out. Bringing in a hose with a nozzle and aiming it down the hole might also do the trick and take off whatever is making the paper stick to the pipe.
Definitely NOT happening in our rv!!!!!
Referring to storing used tp nor hooking the stuck crap & dragging it up through the rv. YUUUUK!!!!!! to both!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
May, Not to be "pointing fingers at someone I have never met" but are you sure the "honey wagon guys" are actually closing the black tank valve? Or is it possible that they just leave it open until they pump the big tank????

If they have been doing that, it would easily explain why you have a poop pyramid. If they have been closing the valve (and doing that part properly) then it would seem that someone "inside the trailer" is simply putting too much TP down the chute....

At this point, you don't want to add more TP to the problem, at least not until you get the pyramid resolved and broken up. So, I'd suggest a trash can beside the toilet with a self closing lid and a plastic bag as a liner. Just do your business, then put all the TP in the trash can. That will prevent the additional paper from compounding the problem and will also allow you to keep the black tank at least half full of water to help soak and soften the hardened pile.

As said, use something rigid to help break up the pile (from the top) but don't get too aggressive as you don't want to poke holes in the tank itself...

It may take a week or more of soaking and breaking up the pieces before things flow again. In the mean time, don't add to the problem if you can avoid it.

To piggyback on the comment in red, my son purchased a used 5th wheel to move into temporarily. The black tank would not flush. He knew nothing about RVs so contacted me. It was the proverbial "pile". He was leaving the black tank valve open just as the folks did before him and as he was told to do. It took him days and days of filling, flushing, adding chemicals etc. and it still didn't come out. I finally told him I would come see him (about 6 hours away). Got there and a friend had come by with a wand and they were able to get things "moving" again. From start to finish I believe it was about 10 days. So, as noted above be prepared to spend some time trying ti get it to the point it wants to move and for sure don't add to the problem.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Years ago I bought a Keystone Cabana used that was used as a hunting camp in the mountains of PA. The seller told me about the poonami and said the gray tank drained slow as well. He thought it may have been from puring the backun grease down the sink every morning. Ya think maybe that did it?

Anyway, I stopped at a self serve car wash in a small town and opened up the drain cal and looked in with a flashlight. It was a straight shot into the black tank and the gray tank was into the main line with a "Y". Couldn't be better.

After about an hour and $10 or so worth of quarters it was draining great. I swear I was hitting that change machine like a hot one armed bandit in Vegas. The amount of white chucks of grease from the gray tank was amazing.

And yes, I followed the clean outs from the car wash to the turn down that was in a sewer line and not a storm drain so the water was treated and did not end up in a stream.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #19
May

I will try soaking it this weekend with lots of water, and then do the coat hanger trick... and then the hose/auger... Thank you
Old 07-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #20
May

Correct-the big blank tank at the back/under the trailer is not connected to the trailer. It's only connected via hose

Tags
toilet