Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Lidmh

New 303TG and frustrated!

Maiden voyage with my 303TG this past weekend. He is how it started. On Saturday night wife threw some pretzels in the oven. Didn't turn on stove fan and started getting the lp gas detector going off. Hit the button and it went off.

Then forgot to fire up the hot water heater. Hit the gas for the hot water heater and what do you know the lp gas detector went off again. This time it wouldn't reset while the gas was running for the hot water heater. Ended up cutting the power wire to stop it. FRUSTRATING AT 11PM. ANyone with this problem and know of fix?

Put that to rest and returned home. While cleaning the unit the fridge was thawing and I started getting water running down the wood just below the fridge. Pulled the cover and saw a steady stream of water running from the fridge. Best I can figure is the double back tape pulled away from the back portion of the interior of the fridge and the water was making it behind the plastic and out the bottom. Gonna have to call out Keystone on this issue.

Oh yeah, last but not least. My swivel TV mount. What a piece of ****! Got to the campground and found both of the screws that secure the top metal bracket fell out. I'm guessing from the vibration while driving. This one I handled myself by making another bracket to secure above the other bracket in the enclosed cabinet drawer.
Lidmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
DTJ9610

Sorry to hear about the issues. We've had our since March and have been out in it quite a bit this season. There have been a few minor poblems with the only thing needing immediate attention from the dealer was a faulty brake on the rear passenger wheel.

We did have an issue with the fridge draining properly. If you look to the back under the drip tray there is a little drain the gos through the tube out back. The tube should be hanging out of the outside vent. If not then the water is draining right into the camper. If it is then there is the possibility that it is being fed wrong (which was our problem). I had to work the tube down and rerun it so that gravity would pull the water out (they initially had it looping up and the drain in the fridge was overflowing and going into the fridge).

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Lidmh

Thanks, you were right on. Dealer took it and found a "coil pinch" when they removed the fridge. Fixed it, also said my brand new lp detector was faulty. Now all I need is a vent to the outside for the stove fan.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
DTJ9610

I was curios about the stove fan too. Let me know if you find anything else out on this.

On a side note, what are you towing the 303 with?

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Many of the newer RV's do not have a fan which directs odors, smoke, etc. to the outside. You can check to see if you have a direct fan by looking at the exterior wall in line with with your stove. If you see a vent with a flap held in place by two plastic stays, then your stove has a fan to the outside. When using this kind of fan, don't forget to turn the plastic stays so that the the flap is not in the closed position.

If you do not see this vent, then the new version internally re-circulates the fumes, smoke, etc. I believe the Keystone engineers have dubbed it "self-circulating" or something like that. Others have said that it simply blows smoke, fumes and odors back in your face.

Progress???
Old 08-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Lidmh

I'm towing it with my 2010 F150 crew cab. The 5.4 V8. I am using the 1000 pound blue ox hitch kit.

The fan does not have the flaps. I just can't get over how dumb the "recirculation" fan is. I sent anther letter/email to keystone. I'm sure that will get me no response. Oh well. I still love the layout.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Many of the newer RV's do not have a fan which directs odors, smoke, etc. to the outside. You can check to see if you have a direct fan by looking at the exterior wall in line with with your stove. If you see a vent with a flap held in place by two plastic stays, then your stove has a fan to the outside. When using this kind of fan, don't forget to turn the plastic stays so that the the flap is not in the closed position.

If you do not see this vent, then the new version internally re-circulates the fumes, smoke, etc. I believe the Keystone engineers have dubbed it "self-circulating" or something like that. Others have said that it simply blows smoke, fumes and odors back in your face.

Progress???
Same issue with my new Outback. If the window behind the counter wasn't too long, It would be easy to install an outside vent. As it is the window is too long and reaches halfway behind the cooktop. Add the window trim to that and there's no way to install a vent without doing some really creative sheet metal work. It's either a poor design by Keystone(naaaaaaa.), or their buyers got a super deal on a trainload of oversized windows and they have to use them somewhere. Personally, I think it was just poor planning and I'm reading more and more complaints abou Keystones design snafus. Sorry, their "recirculation" idea isn't a feature, it's a screw-up. With all of the things I've had to fix combined with those that I can't fix, I'm starting to question if my Keystone purchase was a wise choice.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
CSM

High output oven with self-venting hood

I have a 2012 303tg. The fan is supposed to be "self venting". What a crock! There's no venting except extremely hot air in your face. They are manufacturing on the cheep. It gets so hot that it sets off the smokey in the trailer and it melted our spice containers. To me its a health and safety issue and should be recalled. I reported it under warranty and they get 3 more chances to fix it under TX lemon law then Keystone gets it back along with the over 50 other defects like the exploding hot water heater. All of you who have this problem should file compaints too. This will put Keystone on notice of a fire hazard. Other than the extremely bad quality of this trailer, like the outside kitchen door falling off on our first run, it has a great layout but thats about all I can say at this point for our $48K Loredo.
CSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
CSM

Hey LIDMH,
Understand your issues. There's more to come friend. I have a couple issues too, more like around 50. look at my other posts and you'll get a clear picture. We need to put Keystone on notice especially with health and safety issues. Have you put together your bed at the kitchen table yet using the cushions? They sent me a sliver cushion to fill it in. What a cheepo way to fix the problem. That should have been my red flag before I bought it.
CSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
66ken

If you paid $48K, I would ask for a refund.