Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2020, 09:10 AM   #61
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
My '06 had a voilent 'death wobble' - fixed with new shocks and bushings. My '11 started to get one at ~40K, again fixed with new shocks and bushings and is still just fine at 125K. The '15-'17 Fords that have a problem are to be fixed via "TSB 18-2268 - Steering Oscillation"

Speaking of Dodge/Rams pick ups, OP, do your research on steering boxes, ball joints and front axle bearings.

What I'm saying is that they all have some sort of front end problem, even *gasp* some years of Rams have a 'death wobble': http://www.dodgeproblems.com/death-wobble/
Dave,
Thanks for the heads up on the TSB. I've experienced that twice on I-87 in NY and two or three times on I-81 in VA. Each time was at a bridge expansion joint followed by rough pavement running at 65-70 mph. Seemed the rough pavement set up some kind of harmonic that got pretty bad. Truck has only 30K on it now and much less the first time it happened and the dealer says he check everything in the front end and couldn't find anything loose. I will show him the service bulletin and get it fixed.
Thanks again.
Jim
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #62
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Dave,
Thanks for the heads up on the TSB. I've experienced that twice on I-87 in NY and two or three times on I-81 in VA. Each time was at a bridge expansion joint followed by rough pavement running at 65-70 mph. Seemed the rough pavement set up some kind of harmonic that got pretty bad. Truck has only 30K on it now and much less the first time it happened and the dealer says he check everything in the front end and couldn't find anything loose. I will show him the service bulletin and get it fixed.
Thanks again.
Jim
Some dealers just don't want to know about things like that. The best local Upstate dealer in our area I've found is Carmody in Greenwich with Jack Byrne in Mechanicville also decent - both a bit of a haul from Northville
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:21 PM   #63
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Some dealers just don't want to know about things like that. The best local Upstate dealer in our area I've found is Carmody in Greenwich with Jack Byrne in Mechanicville also decent - both a bit of a haul from Northville
I bought my F350 from Carmody, it'll go there for the repair this spring when we get home. It was Brown's in Amsterdam that couldn't fix it. In all fairness to Brown I had it in in spring of 18 and the SB is dated Aug 18.

I've had maybe 10 Fords over the years and three chevy's and a couple Rams and none ever had the wobble. This is the first new truck since 1979. That one, a Courier I ran 50K and never put one dime in it except oil changes. Had good luck with all three brands but just seem to prefer the Fords, Maybe cause my dad was a Ford dealer when I was in HS.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:58 AM   #64
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
I bought my F350 from Carmody, it'll go there for the repair this spring when we get home. It was Brown's in Amsterdam that couldn't fix it. In all fairness to Brown I had it in in spring of 18 and the SB is dated Aug 18.

I've had maybe 10 Fords over the years and three chevy's and a couple Rams and none ever had the wobble. This is the first new truck since 1979. That one, a Courier I ran 50K and never put one dime in it except oil changes. Had good luck with all three brands but just seem to prefer the Fords, Maybe cause my dad was a Ford dealer when I was in HS.
Sounds like you have it covered with Carmody. I've bought my last 3 trucks plus the wife's Escape Titanium from them and have been happy with their service dept. - tho the last sales guy wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer - but he is still there 3 years later so maybe there is hope that he knows the product now.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford