Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #101
Keystoned

Just got a quote from DT. 126 ea plus 21 ea mounted and balanced. 50 rebate until end of month and another 20 using their credit card (pay off full balance in time or get screwed), so 665 plus tax for 5 tires.
Vs CW at 121 ea plus 27 m&b plus tax, no rebates? So 740 plus tax for 5 tires...or 690 if rebate available.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #102
Craigcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I’ll be interested to hear what the others have to say on this. In my opinion, good ST tires are better for a trailer. From what I understand, ST tires are much stiffer and carry the load of the trailer better. They can be stiffer because they are on axles that don’t turn. A steering axle requires the tire to flex more.

I am by no means an expert, like I said, that is my understanding of it.
I have received the exact opposite feedback. They said a trailer tire needed to "flex". I put firestone LT tires on the 5th wheel and loved them. It seemed like the trailer went down the road much better. Who knows but they were made in the USA unlike any other trailer tire I could find. I went to the firestones after a china bomb detonated.
Craigcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:34 AM   #103
Keystoned

Hoping to ditch the trailer kings today...
Old 02-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #104
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigcounty View Post
I have received the exact opposite feedback. They said a trailer tire needed to "flex". I put firestone LT tires on the 5th wheel and loved them. It seemed like the trailer went down the road much better. Who knows but they were made in the USA unlike any other trailer tire I could find. I went to the firestones after a china bomb detonated.
An industry wide replacement tire requirement.

The replacement tire must have a maximum load carrying capacity equal to or greater than the maximum load carrying capacity of the original equipment tire. Refer to the tire placard on the vehicle for the recommended inflation pressures of the original equipment size tires.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:20 AM   #105
Keystoned

Got 5 GEs for $131 ea, mounted and balanced plus tax, minus $70 rebate...
Old 02-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #106
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Got 5 GEs for $131 ea, mounted and balanced plus tax, minus $70 rebate...
ST225 /5R15 LRE ??? Or ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #107
DDG

I'm glad you got the Goodyear for a fair price on line they where $133.00 and that was without tax and mounting. Have a good weekend it's getting warmer here in Minnesota. Sounds like upper 30's all next week makes me happy. DDG
DDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #108
Keystoned

Yes, st225/75r15 LR E and made the 4th week of 2020
Thanks
Oh, it's gonna get near 60 here today, sorry northerners...
Old 02-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #109
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Yes, st225/75r15 LR E
Thanks
Oh, it's gonna get near 60 here today, sorry northerners...
That's a great price on Goodyear Endurance tires !!!

60 is our "bottom limit" to get the Slingshot out of the pole barn. My guess is we're still at least 2 months away.... Today, lake effect snow, temp is 25F and about 3" of fresh accumulation. It's an "inside day" except for going to the mail box.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #110
dietzldub

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
He has 15" rims and Sailuns are not an option. If he goes from D to E load rating, doubt the rims will blow up (probably 5 lug) if he uses LRE tires at 80 lbs. I have been doing this for quite a few years on my Cougar. Everyone is on the Endurance bandwagon; I use Carlisle Radial HT and have great luck with them. On my second set on this trailer. They are easy to source (like Walmart) around where I live; Maxxis and Endurance not as much. Most small independent tire shops have off brands and I would be leery of those no matter how heavy they feel or what the tire seller says about them.
I ordered my Good Year Endurance tires on line from Walmart they were delivered to the closest Walmart for free. Had them mounted at a local tire shop for $75, I did pull them off and brought them to them.

I pull the Tire Kings off my Cougar as soon as we got it home. There was a big difference in the sidewalk strength, the TK’s were flimsy and very thin feeling. I really like the GE’s.
dietzldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #111
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietzldub View Post
There was a big difference in the sidewalk strength.
Okay, right off, I'm not sticking-up for other name brands or belittling any name brand.

Let's just look at the facts. The GY Endurance tires are a polyester tire with Nylon overlays. A very high percentage of all other brands have that same basic construction. Its all part of the industry standards to standardize designated sizes so they all conform equally to industry load inflation charts.

Oh my goodness, this tire has stiffer sidewalls than that one, it must be better? That's a valid perception until you discover that both tires can support identical load capacities at identical inflation pressures.

With the GY Endurance, GY decided to add a little something to help prevent sidewall damages. They installed a strip of material into the tire sidewalls and called it "Scuff Guard". Adding durability materials into a tire does not increase its strength factors. It may do what it was designed to do, add a little sidewall protection.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #112
mtofell

I just ordered 4 Carlisle tires from Walmart and when they showed up the date codes were over 1.5 years old. Sent them back and did a price match through Discount tire for $83/each - 225 75 15E (one range up from the D stock that I'm taking off).

I'm thinking Wally World buys things at a discount so they get the old ones. They also may just buy in HUGE amounts and have them sit for too long. The ones from Discount Tire are being shipped to the store this week and I'm hoping for newer dates.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #113
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I just ordered 4 Carlisle tires from Walmart and when they showed up the date codes were over 1.5 years old. Sent them back and did a price match through Discount tire for $83/each - 225 75 15E (one range up from the D stock that I'm taking off).

I'm thinking Wally World buys things at a discount so they get the old ones. They also may just buy in HUGE amounts and have them sit for too long. The ones from Discount Tire are being shipped to the store this week and I'm hoping for newer dates.
The last Carlisle tires I bought from WalMart were about 8 weeks old. I was surprised that they were so fresh. Same size as yours... Hey, I wonder if they sent you my old tires ???

Check the date code on the tires at DT too. It's my understanding that around here, they all come from the same "centralized warehouse"... WalMart doesn't stock Carlisle in their distribution center, they order them "as customers make a request"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #114
RET.LEO

Quote:

In full agreement. My son bought a set of tires for his Tundra at Sam's...they were over two years old
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #115
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
In full agreement. My son bought a set of tires for his Tundra at Sam's...they were over two years old
My Carlisles were also 2 months old when bought from WM. They were bigger size, load range E.

WM doesn't stock them so what comes from the warehouse is what is a available. Others have requested dates no more than 6 months old and gotten them. YMMV.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #116
busterbrown

Quote:

I just ordered a new set from Walmart (in the same size and LR). Will pick them up from a local store on Friday and will take note of the DOT date.

The current set on the trailer are 1.5 years old with about 10,000 miles. Only replacing in preparation for our big Alaskan adventure this summer.

My previous purchase experience with a Carlisle set went something like this. Ordered 5 tires (LRD) via Amazon. Upon delivery, the date was about 13 months old. Returned all 5. Went to Discount Tire for a verbal price match. Asked to see the date on the tires. They were all nearly a year old. Adviser couldn't guarantee a any other stock would be newer. He also tried to convince me it shouldn't matter (roll eyes emoji).

Next, I ordered a set from Walmart, same LRD rating. They came in even older (approx 16 months). Rejected that order in the store.

Finally decided to go up to LRE and order from Walmart once more. 1 week later and the tires arrived in store. They were all between 16-25 weeks old. Accepted this order.

From my observation, it's luck of the draw when it comes to acquiring the freshest inventory available among all tire retailers. Walmart is a good starting point as a "pick up" option exists to eliminate the hassle of returning 150 lbs of tires. The UPS store thought I was nuts with my Amazon return order.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #117
busterbrown

41st week of 2019 for all of them. Made the 6 month cut for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200308_112100.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	25485
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #118
curly2001

Had a new set or Carlisle and one totally blew apart and they were my replacement for Power King tires that also granaded on me. Trying a set of Goodyear Endurance and will see what happens with them. Good luck!
Curly
curly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #119
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly2001 View Post
Had a new set or Carlisle and one totally blew apart and they were my replacement for Power King tires that also granaded on me. Trying a set of Goodyear Endurance and will see what happens with them. Good luck!
Curly
If you had a set os Power King tires "self destruct" and replaced them with Carlisle's that also "self destructed", your problem may not be "brand of tire" but rather how you're loading them. Some specifics would certainly help. Tire size, tire load range/ply rating, trailer weight, hitch weight/axle weights... It sure sounds like there's more going on than a 'brand war".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
tires