Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #41
Jfreek65

I’ve been reading this thread off and on this week and was messing around and saw Keystone is advertising one key for their Sprinter tt line. So maybe the future includes campers without a million keys Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3085.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	24997
1965 International Scout 80
Jfreek65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:22 PM   #42
LHaven

Let's hope Keystone's chosen "one key" isn't a CH751.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:56 AM   #43
chuckster57
Site Team

“Keyed alike” or “one key” has been around for a couple of years. One advantage is that a single key does both the entry door and compartment doors. Pass key still only opens the entry handle, not the deadbolt and now not the compartments.

And no it isn’t the CH751

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:13 AM   #44
spade117

I use the same key on both entry doors. I believe it only the same key for the deadbolts and the other locks are keyed differently.

All the compartment doors and outdoor shower are keyed alike with CH751, so I only use 2 of the 3 keys (6 if you count duplicates) that came with the trailer.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #45
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
.........if you are tired of having to fiddle with keys in dark campgrounds to find the proper one for the door you're in front of, you can now remedy this ...............
Ever consider a keyless combination door latch / deadbolt with a wireless fob?
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #46
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Ever consider a keyless combination door latch / deadbolt with a wireless fob?
Adds too many new "maintenance opportunities" for "convenience" I didn't really need.

Also introduces the potential for some Korean/Indian/Russian blackhat to discover an product-wide exploit that immediately renders everybody's locks worthess (examples from my own industry: 1, shortly followed by 2; or here for a scarier one in the automotive world).

I know that if somebody wants to cozen my trailer open now, he at least needs to bring some personal skill to the game, not just buy a download off the darkweb and push a button on his smartphone.

(I guess there is no smiley for vampire-cross-fingers.)
Old 01-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #47
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Adds too many new "maintenance opportunities" for "convenience" I didn't really need.

Also introduces the potential for some Korean/Indian/Russian blackhat to discover an product-wide exploit that immediately renders everybody's locks worthess (examples from my own industry: 1, shortly followed by 2; or here for a scarier one in the automotive world).

I know that if somebody wants to cozen my trailer open now, he at least needs to bring some personal skill to the game, not just buy a download off the darkweb and push a button on his smartphone.

(I guess there is no smiley for vampire-cross-fingers.)
Sounds like the "black helicopters" are hovering nearby.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #48
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Sounds like the "black helicopters" are hovering nearby.
Being in the wireless Internet business as I was until June, the black helicopters strafed me personally twice last year. A whole lot of emergency work that I really did not need, to recover from a zero-day exploit that had been in our routers for 15 years. As a rule, I try not to voluntarily walk into dark alleys I don't have a real need to be in.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #49
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Being in the wireless Internet business as I was until June, the black helicopters strafed me personally twice last year. A whole lot of emergency work that I really did not need, to recover from a zero-day exploit that had been in our routers for 15 years. As a rule, I try not to voluntarily walk into dark alleys I don't have a real need to be in.
So I'm guessing you don't have wireless cames at your place.

It's amazing how "vulnerable" the avg person is with all the wifi connections in appliances, cars, retail environments, etc. And now, folks are "pairing up" their phones to their cars & to the web so they can control the house with Alexa. Meanwhile, their RFDI chipped credit cards are 2 feet away in their wallets.

It's a "brave new world".
Old 01-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #50
Camp CA

Quote:
Adds too many new "maintenance opportunities" for "convenience" .......
OK I just added a new "maintenance opportunity" by installing a RUPSE RV keyless entry door lock latch handle knob deadbolt with keypad & 20 m wireless remote control fob for $159. I got the idea from Changing Lanes and if avoids having to have door keys hidden on the trailer in the battery or LPG compartment doors, which do not lock. I have the original keyed entry door lock as a backup.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #51
daveinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I replace all of my locks with RVLOCK.com, even my compartment doors I replace them all.
Me too. Bought new door and compartment locks from them. All keyed alike and not with the universal key that seems to fit everything.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #52
uechikid

Quote:
Our Cougar that we picked up a year ago is the first trailer we've had that had more than one entry door. We thought we had a warranty problem with the door locks not working intermittently, until the dealer informed us that the doors had completely different keys! It never occurred to us that a manufacturer would set up a trailer with different door locks, as it makes no sense whatsoever. (I assume now that it's just too much bother for Keystone to stock paired locksets for two-door units, they just grab a random lockset out of the bin to install in every door that comes down the assembly line.)

When I read in a recent Trailer Life that the Global Link locksets on our Cougar (purple and gray keys) were built with customer-replaceable lock cores, and that their retail subsidiary offered consumer DIY rekeying supplies, I jumped at the chance.

I immediately sent away for two new cores that matched the key for our "main" door, to install in the bedroom door. They arrived today, and in very few minutes, I had the old cores out, the new cores in, and a significantly less-bulgy key wallet.

The entire project cost me only $20. (I didn't bother to spend the extra $10 renting the "rekey tool," since the trick to it was obvious from the instructional video, and anyone familiar with locks can do the job without it.)

If you want, you can also buy extra cores and rekey your storage compartments to the same key as your entry door -- I decided not to, because there was security value to me in occasionally being able to grant someone access to one area but not the other. However, you can also key them to a completely different (purple) key, because (just like the infamous CH751 hatch key) all Global Link hatch locksets as manufactured are keyed to identical gray keys.

So, bottom line, if you are tired of having to fiddle with keys in dark campgrounds to find the proper one for the door you're in front of, you can now remedy this for only $20 (or $30) and a few minutes effort.

Thanks for the tip. I'm new to the RV world. I have so many question and so much to learn.
2008 Royal Star Venture
uechikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #53
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
OK I just added a new "maintenance opportunity" by installing a RUPSE RV keyless entry door lock latch handle knob deadbolt with keypad & 20 m wireless remote control fob for $159. I got the idea from Changing Lanes and if avoids having to have door keys hidden on the trailer in the battery or LPG compartment doors, which do not lock. I have the original keyed entry door lock as a backup.
Another plus to rekeying all the locks is having lot's of spare keys. I rekeyed our unit and with the 2 exterior doors, the outside kitchen, shower, and storage compartments totals 6 lock sets. Each lockset came with 2 keys so a total of 12 keys. I ordered an extra set of keys that have the small LED light built in so that made 14 keys.

When we camp I just give anyone that needs access a key on a key ring from out insurance agent (he keeps a bucket full of them on the receptionists desk. If they loose it then it's really not that big a deal.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:28 PM   #54
BulletOwner1

In my humble opinion I think a lot of you guys are way overthinking this issue. To remedy the problem of figuring out which key to use I filed out notches in one key. That way, even in the dark, I can find the key I'm looking for. Just filed a couple of notches in the edges of the key and it's easily differentiated from the other.

Or am I underthinking this??
Old 01-31-2020, 03:26 AM   #55
flybouy
Site Team

Overthinking it? For me it was having a camper cleaned out from it's pass thru contents while in storage. Someone with a CH751 key emptied out every camper in the storage lot with the universally used key in the middle of winter. The cops knew it was someone who was aware that the storage facility reused their surveillance tapes every 2 weeks.

So to me it only made sense to get rid of all the CH751 locks by keying them to the front door. At that point it made sense to me to make it unanimous and replace the second entry door lock and throw that set in the toolbox in case one failed. That set came in handy some years later when my Godson was camping with us and his brother broke the key off in the lock of his trailer and destroyed the lock. Gave him my spare and saved him some grief on a Holiday weekend.

So for you filing a notch works, for someone else maybe putting those colored rings on the key works, someone else may use different color fingernail polish to differentiate. We all have different reasons for our "thinking".
Old 01-31-2020, 03:57 AM   #56
chuckster57
Site Team

I make it a point during every walkthrough to inform the customer about the CH751 key. I haven’t changed mine but I store my trailer in my side yard behind a fence.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:41 AM   #57
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I make it a point during every walkthrough to inform the customer about the CH751 key. I haven’t changed mine but I store my trailer in my side yard behind a fence.
Thankfully there are forums such as this for folks to research. My first 2 units were used, private party purchases pre internet forums. It cost me a screen room and a bunch of other stuff to learn that lesson.

I'm amazed to this day how many people are unaware of this. If I see a new owner camped beside me accessing a compartment I'll ask them if they are aware of how many people have a key to open their storage doors. Not all PDI's are as though as yours are unfortunately .
Old 01-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #58
travelin texans

With or without the "everybody has one" storage keys if someone wants in the compartment they will/can be in it faster without a key using a pry bar or large screwdriver & quite honestly not do a lot of damage. Locks only keep honest people out!
Our last 5th wheel the storage didn't have that universal key, but the "lockable file drawer", where you put important papers, did use it. Made perfect sense???
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:08 AM   #59
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With or without the "everybody has one" storage keys if someone wants in the compartment they will/can be in it faster without a key using a pry bar or large screwdriver & quite honestly not do a lot of damage. Locks only keep honest people out!
Our last 5th wheel the storage didn't have that universal key, but the "lockable file drawer", where you put important papers, did use it. Made perfect sense???
The only lock that has discouraged an attempted breach that I'm aware of is is in KY. Of course I'm thinking the 23,000 army personnel along with the Calvary Regiment and the Armoured Brigade may have something to with that.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #60
BulletOwner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Overthinking it? For me it was having a camper cleaned out from it's pass thru contents while in storage. Someone with a CH751 key emptied out every camper in the storage lot with the universally used key in the middle of winter. The cops knew it was someone who was aware that the storage facility reused their surveillance tapes every 2 weeks.

So to me it only made sense to get rid of all the CH751 locks by keying them to the front door. At that point it made sense to me to make it unanimous and replace the second entry door lock and throw that set in the toolbox in case one failed. That set came in handy some years later when my Godson was camping with us and his brother broke the key off in the lock of his trailer and destroyed the lock. Gave him my spare and saved him some grief on a Holiday weekend.

So for you filing a notch works, for someone else maybe putting those colored rings on the key works, someone else may use different color fingernail polish to differentiate. We all have different reasons for our "thinking".
The original post was a comment on the differences in the entry door keys/locks on the same RV. And how difficult it was to determine the correct key in the dark. The next series of comments was discussing how to either buy new locks, re-key the locks to the same key etc. This is what I was responding to.

Without a doubt, the issue of the compartment door locks on so many RV's being identical is worth discussing. It just was not what the original poster was looking to talk about. We don't full time so I don't worry too much about it. If I did I'd probably look to upgrading the situation. Also getting better door locks, possibly keyless entry, would be in the cards.