Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
Turtlechick68

Murphy bed mattress replacement

We just purchased a passport 239 with the Murphy bed. We definitely want to replace mattress before our first time in November. Has anyone replaced their Murphy bed mattress and if so, what mattress did you get?
Turtlechick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlechick68 View Post
We just purchased a passport 239 with the Murphy bed. We definitely want to replace mattress before our first time in November. Has anyone replaced their Murphy bed mattress and if so, what mattress did you get?
Anything you replace it with will be 10 times better. You may be limited in thickness though if you keep the bed in the stow position. A multi layer foam mattress could be good in this application. Or maybe just a supportive topper?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
cma1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Anything you replace it with will be 10 times better. You may be limited in thickness though if you keep the bed in the stow position. A multi layer foam mattress could be good in this application. Or maybe just a supportive topper?
I have been dealing with this darn mattress for over 4 years. I've tried an egg crate, back-packing mattress, thick mattress cover, folded up blankets, etc. This mattress is THE WORST! We are planning a 2-3 week trip this fall, and the thought of sleeping on that thing every night just makes me cringe! I've been afraid to try a topper, not knowing whether it would roll or fold up in the stowage area with the current mattress in that space also. So I've been wondering if a 7" (or even a 10 inch) memory foam would work. Any experience with a memory foam mattress in the Passport 238?
cma1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
linux3

Which Murphy bed type do you have, the drop down out or tri-fold?
I have the tri-fold type.
I purchased a 3" memory foam mattress topper and put it under the tri-fold and find it quite comfy.
I put it under the factory mattress because I find the foam doesn't breath.
Fold up the factory mattress then roll up the foam that isn't under the factory mattress on top and it all fits well.

The queen size foam mattress is a little longer than the tri-fold so it hangs off the end of the bed a bit when open but who cares.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
cma1975

Murphy bed mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Which Murphy bed type do you have, the drop down out or tri-fold?
I have the tri-fold type.
I purchased a 3" memory foam mattress topper and put it under the tri-fold and find it quite comfy.
I put it under the factory mattress because I find the foam doesn't breath.
Fold up the factory mattress then roll up the foam that isn't under the factory mattress on top and it all fits well.

The queen size foam mattress is a little longer than the tri-fold so it hangs off the end of the bed a bit when open but who cares.
I have the tri-fold and find the mattress to be just plain hard. I like pillow top-cushy and just ordered a gel-infused memory foam mattress topper from Amazon, so we shall see. I’m sure it will feel better, but wondering if it will fold up with the mattress so I don’t have to completely strip the bed to stow it. 😕
Old 02-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
Buckeyexx

I’m in the same boat. I’ll be following this thread because I can’t stand the tri fold either. We put an egg shell on top and it does help but not enough.
Probably the single worst thing about this camper so try not to complain but man the mattress is terrible.
Buckeyexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:34 PM   #7
cma1975

I put a 2.5 inch mattress topper on it today, but haven’t slept on it yet. I did lie on it and it felt pretty good. The mattress and topper with sheets folded well enough to get the wood platform up and latched, although the top 1/3 of it lays along the top of the compartment. I was afraid to get a topper that was any thicker; pretty sure a 4” would not make the fold. Will post again after a few nights on it.

Tags
bed, mattress