Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
Canonman

Not just the trailer tires

Just posted a reply regarding Carlisle HD tires which prompted me to "really" inspect my HD's. While crawling around on my hands and knees I thought it a good time to thoroughly check the truck tires as well.
Found a large bulge and major deformation in the tread of one rear tire.
These are Wrangler LR Es with about 35k miles on them. Tires have been well maintained, and rotated. Been watching them pretty close lately since they are not wearing as well as I had hoped so I know the problem hasn't been there long. But now, replacement is imperative.
I bring this up only as a reminder, since we pay so much attention to our trailer tires, to inspect the truck tires with the same passion. I feel pretty lucky I wasn't half way to Grand Junction, CO next week and found this problem the hard way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0694.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	23896  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
busterbrown

Good catch. Attention needs to be on the TV rubber too. A between tire rotations, oil changes, and pre-trip walk-a-arounds, my vehicle tires are always scrutinized. It's a good habit to get into.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I often think when reading all the tire stories "how many people will ignore the spare".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I often think when reading all the tire stories "how many people will ignore the spare".
Timidly raising my hand..... I always check the spare on the truck and trailer. In fact, I've turned them so they face down and the valve stem is accessible without having to remove the spare, just crawl underneath with a pressure gauge and check..... HOWEVER: We just sold the DW's Escape and as a part of getting it ready to sell, I pulled the spare tire out (It's never been on the ground) to clean under it and decided to check the pressure. It's one of those "high pressure mini-spares" that's inflated to 60PSI. When I checked, it was less than 10PSI. Good thing she never needed to use her spare. I'll check her spare now, like I check the truck and trailers, tractor, ATV's, UTV and all my power equipment..... GAWD, now I'm going to wear out a pressure gauge with all this "checking spares" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
Tbos

Ditto on checking the truck tires too. I found a very large washer molded into the side of a Uniroyal years ago.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

About 2 years ago less than 1/4 mile from home heard the dreaded hiss, quite, hiss. Got home and found an object imbedded between the tread of the 20" Pirelli Scorpion on the 150 King Ranch. We live just over a mile from a marina and public Park with boat ramp. Apparently someone didn't get their hitch pin locked and lost it. I guess he made it to his destination as I didn't hear of any trailer accidents.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:52 AM   #7
German Shepherd Guy

Canonman, You have obviously been doing something right. I will be inspecting my tires on the TV before I set out next week across the mountains.
Thanks for the heads up!

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
5J's

I wonder how many put their spare on the ground during tire rotations. I made it a habit years ago to rotate my spare in. But, as John mentioned I've failed to check the spare for DW. [emoji17]

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
I wonder how many put their spare on the ground during tire rotations. I made it a habit years ago to rotate my spare in. But, as John mentioned I've failed to check the spare for DW. [emoji17]
Most manufacturers have made rotating the spare to the ground "nearly impossible".... With the advent of the "mini-spare" it's not an option on most cars or SUV's, and with the advent of aluminum or specialty chrome wheels and a "black steel wheel for the spare" it's not an option on most trucks.... My F250 Lariat has "raised white letter Michilens" on cast aluminum wheels (or did) and a blackwall spare on a black steel wheel. Then, even with "changing out the spare to a road wheel", on many trucks with 20" wheels, the spare is still an 18" wheel/tire assembly, making rotating the spare to the ground even more difficult.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most manufacturers have made rotating the spare to the ground "nearly impossible".... With the advent of the "mini-spare" it's not an option on most cars or SUV's, and with the advent of aluminum or specialty chrome wheels and a "black steel wheel for the spare" it's not an option on most trucks.... My F250 Lariat has "raised white letter Michilens" on cast aluminum wheels (or did) and a blackwall spare on a black steel wheel. Then, even with "changing out the spare to a road wheel", on many trucks with 20" wheels, the spare is still an 18" wheel/tire assembly, making rotating the spare to the ground even more difficult.
Both trucks in the driveway here are that way. I remember some posts popping up a while back about trailer spares (which are typically steel wheels) that the lug nuts from the aluminum wheels would not work on. I'm ashamed to say I don't know if that's the case with my trucks.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
kksfish

Quote:
John

If I recall correctly you were getting ready to put new rubber on the TV....I think you were looking at Salien? Did you get them hey and if so how do you like them so far?
Old 10-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #12
Canonman

Just got back from Sam's tire department with a new set of Goodyear Wranglers.
Sam's stood behind the Goodyear mileage warranty and a set of LR E tires for the Ram were $89 each.
OUTSTANDING!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL5605.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	23904  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
John

If I recall correctly you were getting ready to put new rubber on the TV....I think you were looking at Salien? Did you get them hey and if so how do you like them so far?
Yes, I installed the Sailun Terramax AT4S 275 70R18's on the truck the middle of August. I also installed Bilstein 5100's at the same time. So far, after about 2,000 miles, I'm satisfied and have no complaints. The ride is as quiet and smooth as the Michelins, fuel mileage is about the same. Towing the trailer feels no different, although we haven't towed for any extended trips, just locally and up to about 65MPH. I usually tow on the interstate at about 70MPH, so I haven't done that yet.

So far, I'm thinking I made the right choice as the Sailun's were $644 with tax and Michelin's were $1182 with tax. Install/balance/road hazard was $100 for the 4 tires and was the same with either Sailun or Michelin.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-03-2019, 03:27 AM   #14
kksfish

Quote:
Yes, I installed the Sailun Terramax AT4S 275 70R18's on the truck the middle of August. I also installed Bilstein 5100's at the same time. So far, after about 2,000 miles, I'm satisfied and have no complaints. The ride is as quiet and smooth as the Michelins, fuel mileage is about the same. Towing the trailer feels no different, although we haven't towed for any extended trips, just locally and up to about 65MPH. I usually tow on the interstate at about 70MPH, so I haven't done that yet.

So far, I'm thinking I made the right choice as the Sailun's were $644 with tax and Michelin's were $1182 with tax. Install/balance/road hazard was $100 for the 4 tires and was the same with either Sailun or Michelin.
Sounds like a good tire so far...... I think in the spring I will be looking at new tires and will definitely think about these!
Old 10-03-2019, 06:17 AM   #15
5J's

Quote:
Hmmm........I would've not thought about a different size spare on a truck. I guess I'll find out soon if I'll continue thus practice on my 6.0. I've not had it long enough to do a rotation yet but, it's on the list to do. Thanks for the heads up.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

Old 10-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
Hmmm........I would've not thought about a different size spare on a truck. I guess I'll find out soon if I'll continue thus practice on my 6.0. I've not had it long enough to do a rotation yet but, it's on the list to do. Thanks for the heads up.
On a 2006 model, chances are very, VERY slim that you have the OEM tires on that truck, but, when it was new, the info I posted "should be accurate".

If you have 18" wheels on your truck, the spare is a BSW 18" tire on a steel wheel. If you have 20" wheels on your truck, the spare is a BSW of the appropriate "diameter" also mounted on a black steel wheel. When I bought my 1993 F250, all the wheels were 16" but the tires were OWL mounted on aluminum wheels on the ground and BSW on the spare which was on a steel wheel.

It was the same with my BIL's 2009 and with my 2013 and 2015. Ford "cheaps out" by using a "full size spare" without the OWL and by installing it on a black steel wheel, not a matching "pretty wheel" like you see on the ground.

I'd advise you to crawl under your truck and read the size on your spare and compare it to what's on the ground. While under there, you can also see whether it's a "high priced cast wheel" or a "XL priced steel wheel"... My bet's on the XL priced 18" wheel and tire.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #17
travelin texans

Don't know about Ford or Ram trucks, but my dually GMCs had aluminum wheels that the inside duals & the spare were silver steel wheels. In order to rotate at least 5, always rotated in the spare, of them had to be dismounted/remounted, fortunately Discount Tires had a package deal that was affordable to get this done annually.
Nowadays a lot of the compact vehicles don't have a spare due to no place to store them, which would bother me greatly to be at the mercy of some else to change a flat for me.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #18
5J's

Yep, I always had my wheels broke down to rotate the spare. I'll have to check the spare size on this truck. I guess the manufacturers cut corners where they can to save costs all the while raising prices.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

Old 10-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #19
atkinsb3

[QUOTE=JRTJH;361460]Timidly raising my hand..... I always check the spare on the truck and trailer. In fact, I've turned them so they face down and the valve stem is accessible without having to remove the spare, just crawl underneath with a pressure gauge and check..... HOWEVER: We just sold the DW's Escape and as a part of getting it ready to sell, I pulled the spare tire out (It's never been on the ground) to clean under it and decided to check the pressure. It's one of those "high pressure mini-spares" that's inflated to 60PSI. When I checked, it was less than 10PSI. Good thing she never needed to use her spare. I'll check her spare now, like I check the truck and trailers, tractor, ATV's, UTV and all my power equipment..... GAWD, now I'm going to wear out a pressure gauge with all this "checking spares" LOL[/QUOTE

I have always dreaded checking the pressure of the spare (now I feel a slight tinge of stupidity for over looking the obvious solution!?!? ). I see a simple modification in my TV's near future.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #20
mjeronimo

Extension

My buddy has a 1951 Chevy can’t remember The model but it has a Schrader valve mounted just under the trunk lid and a hose runs from there to the spare inside the trunk. I guess they thought about things like that back in the day. You could run an extension hose back to the hitch just remember to unhook it before you crank down the spare.
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires