Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #21
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I did a tire, brake inspection about 2 months ago and no problems seen. I just wanted to mention I have 225/75/15 E HD Carlisle tires on my trailer psi at 80. build date on all 5 is 0916. Ever trailer I have owned, that I remember I have upped the load range or old school ply tires just to have more extra reserve in wt and maybe a longer lasting tire. This trailer came with "D" tires at 65psi. If your 14 wheels can accept a E rated tire, if it were me that is what I would go for in any brand you buy.
Edit: check the wheel before buying tires for higher psi.
I went up one range. It came with "C" tires. I don't think I would want to up it two ranges.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #22
Ken / Claudia

I would not go up another load range again either. 1 makes sense, more may not be possible.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #23
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I went up one range. It came with "C" tires. I don't think I would want to up it two ranges.
My Bullet's OEM tire size was the same: ST205/75/14 LR-C. These supported 1760 lbs of load at 50 PSI. These ran on 3500 lb, 5 lug axles. As I wanted to increase to a LR-E tire, I was unable as the OEM wheels were max'd at 1900 lbs. It was next to impossible to even find a replacement 5 lug (5x4.5" lug pattern) wheel to support an LR-E tire in size ST225/75/15. Ended up buying Hispec wheels off Recstuff.com that were rated for 2540 lbs of load. Mounted LRE St225/75/15 Carlisle tires to them and had my cold air inflations pressures capped at 65 PSI.

With the new wheel and tire combo, the trailer tracked and performed better at highway speeds than the smaller 14" LRC Trailer Kings. Some say the trailer may get "beat up" more with a firmer, higher PSI tire. I found the opposite true as cabinet and storage space items would stay now stay put and shift less during travels. The trailer just bounced around LESS.

I have since upgraded to 5200# 6 lug axles and 6 pack leaf springs (mono leafs were OEM). The tires and wheels are now perfectly matched at 2830# (LR-E). Was definitely worth the money to have the extra reserve in tires, springs, tires, and wheels.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #24
mfifield01

Discount Tire didn't think that the cracking is enough of an issue. They said to bring the trailer by, but they probably couldn't do anything. If it was bad enough they might give me some credit.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #25
jadatis

Mayby you can sent picture to the manufacturar of tire, so they can yudge it..think they will be interested for their proces.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #26
Tireman9

Quote:
I put on Carlisle Trail HD tires just over 2 years ago to replace the stock tires. At the time, I thought they were a good option over the Trailer King tires. I went from a load range C to load range D. Now, they look like they have some exterior cracking. Does anyone have the same issue?

Looks like stress cracks at top of body ply turn-up. Not unusual. Keep an eye on the cracks for now. Is the picture of the worst?
How long do you plan on keeping the tires?
What is the DOT date code?
I assume you have not been using tire covers as I recommend in my RV Tire Safety blog. Covers would decrease the tendency to crack.

I think it is just "cosmetic" for now as long as the cracks do not grow.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #27
Tireman9

Quote:
The part that I don't understand, is that these are roughly 2 years old. I have 8 year old tires on a car that don't have cracks.

You are not running 65 psi in your passenger car tires. This is a big difference.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:29 AM   #28
CWtheMan

Quote:
I put on Carlisle Trail HD tires just over 2 years ago to replace the stock tires. At the time, I thought they were a good option over the Trailer King tires. I went from a load range C to load range D. Now, they look like they have some exterior cracking. Does anyone have the same issue?
Carlisle will probably cover that cracking damage. However, the warranty is only good two tears out from time of purchase.

https://www.carlstargroup.com/Portal...y-Warranty.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #29
PilotIndy

It could actually be the 303 protectant causing your issues. It could contain certain chemical compounds that draw the plasticity out of the rubber compounds of the tire. Since it is a similar product to Armor All, I wouldn’t be surprised if it did. What they don’t tell you about these products, is that they actually can accelerate the dry-rot process. Sure, the products are great for keeping tires looking good.. ie Nice and Shiney, but in direct, constant sunlight they are not good for rubber compounds. They destroy the plasticisers in the rubber compounds in the sidewall of the tire. I used to use tire protectant products on my trailer tires for years to “protect them”. They all ended up with premature cracking on the sidewalls. I stopped using these things and just keep the tires clean and covered on the trailer and now I am not seeing the same effects. I’m not saying not to use a protectant, but I wouldn’t rely on it as a miracle product in a bottle to stop the UV rays from reaching the tire. Covering them is the key. Just my two cents.
PilotIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:39 AM   #30
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Looks like stress cracks at topof body ply turn-up. Not unusual. Keep an eye on the cracks for now. Is picture of the worst?
How long do you plan on keeping the tires?
What is DOT date code?
I assume you have not been using tire covers as I recommend in my RV Tire Safety blog. Covers would decrease the tendancyto crack.

I think it is just "cosmetic" for now as long as the cracks do not grow.
Yes, the pictures are the worst. I was hoping to get 4 years out of the tires. I need to check the DOT date code. I remember checking right after they were put on and it was only weeks before.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #31
Tireman9

Quote:
Yes, the pictures are the worst. I was hoping to get 4 years out of the tires. I need to check the DOT date code. I remember checking right after they were put on and it was only weeks before.

Spray protectant. To my knowledge there is no after-market spray shine stuff recommended by any tire mfg.

Also I have never seen a controlled long term comparison test run by a tire company.

RE DOT code EVERYONE should have the full DOT serial written down and kept with important information as if there is a tire recall the DOT serial is what determines if you would get new free tires or not. If you get a puncture and destroy the tire and discover later there was a recall, without some proof you could not make a claim to get a new tire.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #32
mfifield01

The dates on the tires are 2017,2117, 2117, 2217. Got some more pictures. The attached is probably the worst.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191019_152620.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	24189  
Old 10-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you sent those photos to Carlisle? If Discount tire told you to bring the trailer by so they could check the tires, have you done that yet?

If there is a 24 month warranty time frame from Carlisle and the tires are dated "mid year, 2017" then you're likely fast approaching the warranty expiration. I'd suggest finding the sales receipt and sending a copy of it and the photos to Carlisle before the 24 months is up.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #34
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Spray protectant. To my knowledge there is no after-market spray shine stuff recommended by any tire mfg.
http://gpmicompany.com/wp-content/up...oducts_med.png
Old 10-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #35
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I would not go up another load range again either. 1 makes sense, more may not be possible.
A precedent for the highway man.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/570.62

Notice early on they describe the tire size as "size designation". A ST205/75R15 is smaller than the ST215/75R15, thus a mismatch is size designation.

A ST205/75R15 LRC is identical in size when compared with another having LRD capability. They both provide identical load capacities when inflated to 50 PSI. Therefore, they are not a deviation from the OE tires in size.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #36
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Have you sent those photos to Carlisle? If Discount tire told you to bring the trailer by so they could check the tires, have you done that yet?

If there is a 24 month warranty time frame from Carlisle and the tires are dated "mid year, 2017" then you're likely fast approaching the warranty expiration. I'd suggest finding the sales receipt and sending a copy of it and the photos to Carlisle before the 24 months is up.....
I did send in a warranty request to Carlisle (with pictures of the dates and cracks). I'm just past the 24 months (install date), so I doubt they will do anything.

Tags
rack