Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
CWtheMan

Off Road ST Tire

This is not a brand endorsement, just something new and interesting for off-road travelers.

Because of the tire's maximum load capacity (2340# @ 50 PSI) it's limited to GAWR axles 4000# and less. The size and design are new to the market and aimed at those, "out in the wild", boondockers.

https://www.tredittire.com/tire/rainier-st-apex/

Tredit is a Keystone OEM provided. Maybe these tires will be offered as options with some of Keystone's trailer models.

https://www.tredittire.com/tredit-advantage/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the Rainier ST tread design and considering the DARCO lining in most RV wheelwells, I'd be very concerned with the tire tread picking up rocks, slinging them into the DARCO liner and destroying its "waterproofing capability".... With the luan/cardboard/Styrofoam/luan floor system in almost all "lightweight trailers" adding 'aggressive tread pattern tires" to the "far too fragile wheelwell lining"... Well, sort of like mixing (or trying to mix) unskilled pilots and high performance passenger airplanes..... I'm guessing the end result won't be pretty in either situation.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

I think folks who pull trailers off road would be prone to kicking up stones and other off road junk quite a bit anyway. I would also guess that tires used off road would want as many plies as possible; if you drive on my property without some thick tires you WILL get a flat from cactus needles. That was one of the first lessons I learned when we were doing some clearing on the raw land many years ago.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
CWtheMan

They might have something like this these in mind for those tires.

https://hiconsumption.com/best-off-r...mper-trailers/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:31 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Am I the only one missing the point? Looking to get educated on this. I can see how someone with a 4X4 may want the look of an off road tire to match their off road vehicle tires (when I was young I put matching mag wheels on my tandem boat trailer that matched the car because it "looked cool" but other than that what's the advantage? I thought the aggressive sidewall designs were to provide better traction on the driven wheels and better grip on the steering axle. The trailer tires are just just dragging along so where's the improvement over a good 10 ply rated tire?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:19 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Marshall,

Stronger sidewall construction to prevent bruising/ruptures and better traction to reduce sliding into ruts in mud and to keep the trailer going "over" not "beside" big boulders/rocks when climbing the gorges.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote