Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
BulletOwner1

Tire not matched to pickup question.

Bad title but not sure how to title.

I've just purchased a new 2019 F150 pickup. Really love the truck except one thing. It has the Max tow package and is equipped with, from what I can tell, P tires not LT. Why would they do that? Michelin Primacy XC 275/65 R18. I know, ask Ford. I won't even begin to tow close to the GCWR of the pickup, 18,100 so I think I'll be okay till I wear these out. Don't really want to go out and purchase a brand new set of tires to replace a brand new set of tires . Don't know why they would do that. Okay, I do, it's cheaper. Just doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
Bad title but not sure how to title.

I've just purchased a new 2019 F150 pickup. Really love the truck except one thing. It has the Max tow package and is equipped with, from what I can tell, P tires not LT. Why would they do that? Michelin Primacy XC 275/65 R18. I know, ask Ford. I won't even begin to tow close to the GCWR of the pickup, 18,100 so I think I'll be okay till I wear these out. Don't really want to go out and purchase a brand new set of tires to replace a brand new set of tires . Don't know why they would do that. Okay, I do, it's cheaper. Just doesn't make a lot of sense.
It's a 150 and most 150/1500's do not come with LT tires! You want heavier tires OEM, then buy a HD truck 250/2500 or 350/3500.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Those are standard load range tires. Ford selected them for comfort more than utility. Max inflation is 44 psi which will allow too much sidewall flex to be an effective towing tire. I have the same set-up, but in a 2015 model. Mine came new with Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT also a standard load range but with a 51 psi max pressure. When the time came, I changed to Firestone Destination A/T which is a load range E tire at 80 psi. I up the pressure during towing season and then soften them up for ride quality for the rest of the year.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
notanlines

Bullet, your ‘cheap’ tires are $800, M and B out the door at DT. If you shop around at other brand half tons, see if you don’t find Firestone and Goodrich as more common. Your tires will legally tow what’s advertised and on the door jamb sticker. Sorry, but it ain’t a HD.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
BulletOwner1

Thanks guys. I really know all that. It just strikes me odd that these manufacturers have HUGE advertising budgets to tout their serious 1/2 ton towing capability and then don't follow through with appropriate tires. When I bought my 2012 F150 (new) with the less involved tow package it did have LT tires. Guess they changed their mind.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
ADQ K9

In the past I have played around building a truck on line and there was an option for C rated tires, but you probably would have to order one to get those from the factory /dealer.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
travelin texans

Seems funny that when half ton towables are mentioned the 1st truck that comes up as not quite up to the task is F150. Ford's advertising department is definitely doing a good job of touting it as the go to tow anything truck, would even be better if it actually was the case.
LT tires may help, but a real tow truck would come with heavy tires with more truck on top of them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:59 AM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

It is strange. But then first thing I did on my Brand New 29RBPR was.....buy new tires. But that was cause both John & Sourdough really stressed how inadequate the OEM tires were. Research proved them right and I am thankful I joined the group.
That said I am thinking if I ever buy a new trailer again I would bargain for the seller to replace the tires as a deal clincher.
Might be that same would apply to a new 1/2 ton truck. Perhaps a selling dealer really set on making a sale would upgrade to LTs to cinch it. After all they would have the brand new original tires to sell to someone?

I haven't shopped a new truck in years but thanks to Bullet I now know that OEM on them are passenger tires. Maybe truck manufacturers are learning from the RV industry?

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:03 AM   #9
66joej

I think the only F150s that come with LT tires are ones with the HDPP option. This includes 7 bolt wheels among other things.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I think the only F150s that come with LT tires are ones with the HDPP option. This includes 7 bolt wheels among other things.
You're right (AFAIK) about the only F150's with LT tires being those with the optional HDPP... In recent years, I think it started around 2016 or so, the HDPP wheels are no longer 7 lug. Ford changed to a HD 6 lug wheel, probably for "interchangeability" with spare tires, etc, but maybe because some of the Keystone workforce moved to Flat Rock and is now working for Ford????? After all, they were trained to ignore the assembly line rules and "wing it"... So with all the wheels having 6 lugs, Ford saved on drill bits and wheel modifications on the line to make them fit.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #11
Stircrazy

your tires have a 116 load index, which is 2756lbs per tire. so that gives you 5512 lbs you can load your rear end up to. should be able to tow a pretty decent trailer with that.. as long as the tire weight rating adds up to your max rear axel weight or higher then don't worry about it tow away, and since my F350 with the highest payload you can get for that year, and is only a 7000lbs rear rating I doubt you can overload your tires with out overloading your rear end first.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
your tires have a 116 load index, which is 2756lbs per tire.
Steve
That load capacity must be derated. The vehicle manufacturer will automatically derate them with their recommended cold inflation pressures shown on the tire placard. After the mandatory deduction for being fitted to the truck is made the tire will provide 2505# of load capacity @ 44 PSI. (2756/1.1=2505).
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:00 AM   #13
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
That load capacity must be derated. The vehicle manufacturer will automatically derate them with their recommended cold inflation pressures shown on the tire placard. After the mandatory deduction for being fitted to the truck is made the tire will provide 2505# of load capacity @ 44 PSI. (2756/1.1=2505).
yes. that's a given but the tires still have the capacity if he goes to the max tire inflation . the tires themselves are still the same.

Steve
Old 09-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
yes. that's a given but the tires still have the capacity if he goes to the max tire inflation . the tires themselves are still the same.

Steve
IMO anytime a vehicle with passenger tires is used to tow something heavy, the tire pressure should be adjusted to the maximum permissible pressure shown on the tire sidewall. It will stiffen the tire for better control. When done towing, deflate the tires to the placard recommendation (s).
Old 09-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^I agree with this, but, in my experience (and IMO) a passenger tire rated at 44 psi cannot, and will not, control the flexing and movement that a trailer will subject the vehicle to like an LT tire. They just aren't stiff enough, btdt multiple times.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #16
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
IMO anytime a vehicle with passenger tires is used to tow something heavy, the tire pressure should be adjusted to the maximum permissible pressure shown on the tire sidewall. It will stiffen the tire for better control. When done towing, deflate the tires to the placard recommendation (s).
um, that's what I said. inflate to the tire max and you have the full capacity of the tire...
Old 09-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #17
CWtheMan

Wow! Were getting technical here. The tire described by the OP (275/65R18) is a Euro-metric passenger tire by design. A liked sized P-metric tire provides less load capacity. This one provides its maximum load capacity at 36 PSI and by design can be further inflated to 44 PSI to stiffen it - or other reasons. There is no increase in its load capacity between 36 - 44 PSI.

The vehicle manufacturer has the sole responsibility for the selection of Original Equipment tires. I’m pretty sure they’re not going to be irresponsible with such selections for automotive vehicles.

The government regulations instruct them, in part, to select tires that are appropriate for each vehicle. There are tens of thousands of pick-up trucks fitted with passenger tires each year. Their manufacturers have the experiences needed to insure they are the best fitment for all road conditions that vehicle may be tasked to fulfill. If they foresaw a need for more sturdy tires they would have offered options. Installing replacement tires on that vehicle that do not meet vehicle manufacturer’s optional/approval recommendations will become the sole responsibility of the installer.

Reputable tire retailers are not going to install replacement tires onto a vehicle without the vehicle manufacturer’s approval. The risks are too high.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #18
jadatis

Nothing wrong with P tires, if maxload is enaugh for the GAWR's. 10% reserve minimum is advice, but mayby even 30% you have.

If you give GAWR's and tirespecifications, I will calculate for you.

Derating P - tires to91% for SUV/MPV is not done in Europe, and to my conclusions it is done in America, because formula for P-tires gave to low pressure before 2006, when America stepped over to the European formula, used for decades for all kind of tires in Europe.
This EUR calc gives higher pressures for the same load, or lower loadcapacity for the same pressure, in the lower pressures.

Pressure at wich maxload is allowed to carry upto 99mph is 36 psi for eurometric and 35 psi for P- tires, but to laws of nature they both can carry same weight at same pressure, its yust a matter of choice.

That is the reason why P mostly 1 li step lower then Eurometric.

Difference between referencepressure of 35/36 psi and maximum allowed cold pressure of 44/51 psi, is used to highen up reference for speed and camber-angle, in the official formula.

Higher then maxload is not supported by the tiremaker above referencepressure, but is supported by mother nature. Natures laws always rule above those of tiremakers.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, let's "pour another pail" onto this debate:

Tires are not "all round, all black, all hold air and all fit my wheels.....
THERE IS MUCH MORE TO TIRE CHOICE THAN LOAD CAPACITY......

OK, when we're discussing towing duty for trucks and large SUV's, we've got essentially two choices. We can choose P Metric or Light Truck tires. They are DIFFERENT types of tires. One has stiffer sidewalls and operates at much higher pressures, which further stiffens the sidewalls. When towing, LT tires provide stiff sidewalls helps eliminate "side sway forces" that cause the vehicle to "squirm in the lane".... When not towing, a softer, more comfortable ride can be achieved by reducing the maximum pressure. BUT: that can't always accommodate the axle loading, so sometimes you may need to run a pressure that's not "as comfortable as" the P Metric ride.

P Metric tires have softer sidewalls, provide the "comfortable ride" but can not be inflated to a pressure that provides the sidewall rigidity comparable to an LT tire. They, typically will "ride soft" and provide adequate load capacity at lower pressures than LT tires, but are more prone to "squish under load"...

Depending on the operating environment, choose the tire that provides the necessary "ride, comfort, load capacity and stability" that you need.

Just as the "designed in outcome" of trailer engineering (think lightweight floor construction vs standard floor construction) defines the usability of the trailer, tire "design" defines the outcome usability for a specific purpose.

Just as we wouldn't buy a RV with a "thin luan floor" if we were going to have heavy adults or energetic children "jumping and bouncing" on the thin luan, we shouldn't buy tires based on "only considering load capacity"....

It's sort of like going to Lowe's and looking at paint and buying 5 gallons based only on color.... Would you buy green latex paint at Lowe's to repaint your car, even though the color is a "perfect match" ???? Definitely not, at least most of us wouldn't.....

So the question would be: Should you buy tires based only on load capacity???? Again, for most of us, the answer "should be" definitely not..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #20
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
It is strange. But then first thing I did on my Brand New 29RBPR was.....buy new tires. But that was cause both John & Sourdough really stressed how inadequate the OEM tires were. Research proved them right and I am thankful I joined the group.
That said I am thinking if I ever buy a new trailer again I would bargain for the seller to replace the tires as a deal clincher.
Might be that same would apply to a new 1/2 ton truck. Perhaps a selling dealer really set on making a sale would upgrade to LTs to cinch it. After all they would have the brand new original tires to sell to someone?

I haven't shopped a new truck in years but thanks to Bullet I now know that OEM on them are passenger tires. Maybe truck manufacturers are learning from the RV industry?
Very good point
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote