Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
msubobcats

Getting new tires...

We will be putting on Goodyear instead of Carlisle brand. Got a text last night at almost 11pm from our Daughter. They are heading for Glacier this weekend and wanted us to go with them. There isn't enough time to get the Carlisle brand in so Goodyear it will be. $30 per tire more but oh well...
We are at the end of the 3rd season with the originals so it is time... Going with 10 ply...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
5J's

I just made the switch to the GY Endurance LREs. I've got about 200 miles on them so far.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
We will be putting on Goodyear instead of Carlisle brand. Got a text last night at almost 11pm from our Daughter. They are heading for Glacier this weekend and wanted us to go with them. There isn't enough time to get the Carlisle brand in so Goodyear it will be. $30 per tire more but oh well...
We are at the end of the 3rd season with the originals so it is time... Going with 10 ply...
The GY is a robust tire with sidewall scuff guards. By all reports you got your moneys worth.

At a 80 psi of cold inflation pressure they will provide more than 28% in load capacity reserves. Make sure you use at least 65 PSI. That's the minimum set for the original ST225/75R15 LRD tires.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
Gary4

Most blowouts happen because of low air pressure regardless of the manufacture. A tpms is a great investment for anyone. The Goodyear is a great tire. Check for abnormal wear and keep the pressure where it should be.
Gary4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
jadatis

In Europe we generally make 6 years or more with tires on Travel-trailers. Safety first, but the environment is also impotant ( in Europe, mayby not in America ).
We use C( omercial) tires, the equivalent of LT .
I am convinced, that if you keep pressure to the upper border, where yust no screws tremble loose, also ST tires can last that long, and wont give tiredamage issues.

If you give GVWR of your TT , tirespecifications already given,( E load 225/75R 15), I can calculate that highest pressure for you, probably about 70 psi.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
msubobcats

That is one great set of tires... Absolutely no squat whatsoever. Sure am satisfied so far...

I don't think it is my imagination but the 5th Wheel looks as if it sits a couple inches higher... Which brings me to another question that I will be asking in the 5 Wheel forum...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:44 PM   #7
Allen Arin

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
Yes they are a great set of tires!
Allen Arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
Sarge2

Just have to ask...

What is the general consensus about changing out the original tires for better tires... all I hear about are "China Bombs" and the horror stories of using the tires that came with the TT... Does everyone change them out or is this a wait and see type of thing... my TT does not have many miles on it... less than 500 but come spring I'm planning on doing a lot of traveling... should I "wait and see" or just bite the bullet and change them out for better tires?
Sarge
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
What is the general consensus about changing out the original tires for better tires... all I hear about are "China Bombs" and the horror stories of using the tires that came with the TT... Does everyone change them out or is this a wait and see type of thing... my TT does not have many miles on it... less than 500 but come spring I'm planning on doing a lot of traveling... should I "wait and see" or just bite the bullet and change them out for better tires?
Sarge
Some get by great, others don't. I opted for "wait and see" and on my first trip of my 2nd season one of the Trailer Kings blew about 50 miles from home as we left. A new set of tires, 7k in damages and 2 weeks later we headed out again. The OE tires looked like they came off the showroom floor; always kept aired; not overloaded - just "bang".

I will say that it seems to me that the manufacturers were putting the very minimal size tire/weight rating on trailers but have now improved on that. What trailer do you have and what tires? Size/load range?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
Sarge2

Thanks for the quick response Sourdough... I have a 2020 Passport 2600BHGT... I believe it has (I'd have to check the tires to be sure) ST205/75/14D tires on it... or so my paperwork says...
Old 09-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Sarge
We bought our trailer new last year and did about 11,000 miles on the china bombs. This year, although we had no trouble with the original tires, we elected to replace them. My thinking was a blowout could cause more damage to the trailer than what a new set of GY Endurances cost. IOW, cheap insurance.

In the end, I'm very glad I did. We discovered that we probably bent the back axle last year in a minor incident in a CG and the new rear tires are showing signs of uneven wear as a result of that. I don't want to think what might have happened if we had abused the china bombs like that this year, 7,800 miles.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
Sarge2

Wow, 11k on the originals.... I guess like any tire, you just really don't know if there is a flaw or defect until it rears it's ugly head... Since I've got one more camping trip planned for Mid October I'll re-evaluate the situation come spring... I'm not a gambling kind of guy so I'd rather be safe than sorry....Since I'm planning on doing a lot of traveling, I think I'll spring for some GY's prior too... I am surprised that the wheels are only 14"... I like the custom wheel "GT" look but figured they'd be 15" minimum... May look into tires and wheels to upgrade.. Thanks for the input.... Sarge
Old 09-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
busterbrown

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response Sourdough... I have a 2020 Passport 2600BHGT... I believe it has (I'd have to check the tires to be sure) ST205/75/14D tires on it... or so my paperwork says...
Several years ago, the RVIA changed its tire fitment recommendations adding in a 10% reserve above the axle ratings. So in essence, prior to 2018, your Passport (like mine 2017 Bullet) was fitted from the factory with 205/75/14 load C tires. Over the last 2 seasons, Keystone has provided that 10% reserve load capacity using load D tires on these same coaches. It's helped but more can be done.

Personally, I believe reserves should be near 25% as manufacturers don't include an assumed tire degradation into the equation. A coach could sit idle on a dealers lot for well over a year prior to being sold. Even though it's sold as new, the tires DOT date ("born on date") may be be 2 years prior. Generally speaking, ST tires don't like sitting idle. They like to spin to properly disperse the oils in the rubber. With this said, a 2 year old ST tire sitting at an RV factory for months and then on a dealers lot for many more months has a higher chance of failure when it will assume load carrying conditions close to the GVWR of the trailer. This may be why many folks experience blowouts within the first year of ownership.

Mitigate the situation with higher load range tires. Very simple to do. $500 in new quality tires can make it a more stress-free camping season. Sell the take-offs at a fair price and monies out of pocket are minimal.

Or do what I have done, upgrade axles, wheels, tires, and springs to help prevent a tire and/or suspension failure over the ownership life of a coach. We are Alaska bound next year and want to reduce the possibility of a "trip-souring" or "trip-ending" event along the way.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires