Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
jb238smw

TT Tire Pressure

For some unknown reason, a previous owner replaced the nose panel of my Outback 32BDHS with diamond plate and, in the process, removed the tire pressure certification label. So, I'm thinking that I need to keep the tire pressures at 65 PSI (Tires are ST225/75D15, with a max pressure of 65 PSI to achieve the max load of 2540 lbs.). Anybody with other ideas?
jb238smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

Run the tires at the max inflation stated on the tire sidewall. Mine says “Keep Inflated to 65 psi cold”.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the 2007 Outback brochure, all the tire sizes listed are 14" tires, so I'd suspect that your tires are an "upgrade in wheel size and tire size". Since they are bias ply tires (ST225/75D15) I'd ask how old they are? There is a "molded in date code on the tire sidewall. It's a 4 digit number, the first two digits are the "week of production" and the second two digits are the year of production. Example: 4309 is the 43rd week of 2009.

Most people recommend that ST tires be removed from service at or before the sixth year (maximum 5 years of service).

I agree with NH Bulldog, I'd run the tires at maximum recommended pressure listed on the sidewall so I could maintain the maximum weight carrying capacity. That said, monitor the tread for abnormal wear. If the center of the tread is wearing faster, the tires may be over-inflated. If that occurs, before reducing the pressure, I'd recommend weighing each wheel so you KNOW (not guess) what the weight on each wheel is and you can adjust pressure appropriately, based on actual weight rather than "guessed tread wear".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
jb238smw

Thanks for the guidance. I checked the tires and three are 13 years old and one is 11 - time to replace! Since the max gross on this trailer is somewhere around 9600#, I'm going to go with E load radials. Maybe a little overkill, but the price difference is only about $5 per tire - pretty cheap insurance. Also going to repack the bearings while swapping the tires. I suspect that not a lot of preventive maintenance was done by the previous owners, but I didn't pay a whole lot for the trailer either.
jb238smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Good Call on all points. You need E rated tires for that weight and the definitely need to be replace "right now". Steer clear of the cheapo "china bombs" as they are referred to; Trailer King, Trailer Max, etc. As in anything else you get what you pay for. I bought Carilisle Radial ST tires and love them. I also upgraded from Trailer King to LRE. I also agree about running at 65psi.

Since it sounds like the previous owner wasn't on top of things you really want to inspect those bearings, races etc. to make sure they haven't been damaged. I assume the trailer is as old as the tires so I would just replace the bearings personally.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb238smw View Post
For some unknown reason, a previous owner replaced the nose panel of my Outback 32BDHS with diamond plate and, in the process, removed the tire pressure certification label. So, I'm thinking that I need to keep the tire pressures at 65 PSI (Tires are ST225/75D15, with a max pressure of 65 PSI to achieve the max load of 2540 lbs.). Anybody with other ideas?
Your current tire size will provide much more than the new standards. At 65 PSI they provide 540# of excess load capacity each.

Bias ply tires are no longer recommended for trailer tires larger than 13" in diameter, so I recommend finding suitable ST225/75R15 LRD tires. Change the valve stems to something over 80 PSI, preferably steel clamp-ins. Check the wheels for their load and PSI limits.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote