Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
Same here, I'm in the same boat and was going to put a new set of Michelin. Absolutely fantastic performance for more than 80,000 mi.

But then they're really pricy. I may look into Sailun HLT, as I do not drive it in any snow or mud normally. Looking for a quiet ride is important to me.

Thanks for waking me up ��
You're quite welcome. While I can't (yet) vouch for the Sailun tires, I can say that I'm optimistic. If you're near a WalMart, you can get the 275/70R18 HLT tread pattern for about $143 per tire, that's around $575 plus tax. If you have 17" wheels, the smaller tires are even less. Mine were delivered to the store this morning and I have an appointment to get them installed tomorrow. I'm not keeping the "nearly worn out Michelins" so I hope the Sailun's work well...

If you do take the plunge, keep us posted. Who knows, this may turn into a Sailun Tire Forum as well as a Keystone RV Forum

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #22
CaptnJohn

All my trucks have arrived with Michelin, all have been good. They are quiet which I really like, but don’t like the cost. Looking forward to a report on Sailun.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:45 AM   #23
gearhead

Dang it I wish I needed tires now, WalMart has the 235 80 17 for $99.
CW...if you're still following this, what are your thoughts of the snow rated tire handling our tropical downpours on the Texas coast? Better than a regular AT, same, or worse?
edit...price is for highway tread
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:51 AM   #24
Laredo Tugger

I guess the purchase of tires from Walmart would also afford you a "nation wide" service center for your warranty needs. A major plus for those in our line of "work".
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:49 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I guess the purchase of tires from Walmart would also afford you a "nation wide" service center for your warranty needs. A major plus for those in our line of "work".
RMc
That was my thought as well. WalMart has two tire packages:

Basic Package, $15 per tire
•Tire mounting
•Life time balance & rotation every 7,500 miles
•Valve stem/TPMS* service pack
•50-mile lug re-torque

Value Package, $25 per tire
•Basic package
•Road hazard protection warranty**
**The road hazard protection warranty provides coverage for tire failure caused by impact breaks and other non-repairable punctures. We will fix repairable punctures at no charge. For conditions that require replacing the tire, ask your local Auto Care Center for details.↩

For me (and my situation) I didn't buy the value package for the trailer tires. I considered that if I have a blowout at highway speed, the trailer will suffer enough damage to file an insurance claim, so I'd get a replacement tire and wheel as a part of the claim. For the truck tires, between hunting and fishing, chances are that if I do have any tire damage, it'll probably be at slow speeds, so including coverage for the 4 or 5 years that I'll be using the tires, the $40 investment to protect all 4 tires for that length of time makes sense to me. I have never experienced a blowout at highway speeds on any truck tire, so while that might happen tomorrow, so far, for me, it seems to not be as much a reality as it is with trailer tires.

I might be wrong in my thinking... Who really knows what the future holds, but the difference between $60 and $100 for the tire installation makes the "nationwide WalMart service availability" seem worth the added cost, at least for me.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #26
Halcyon

Truck tires

My 2017 2500 Chevy Duramax came with Firestone Transforce AT tires, 275/70/17. Now, with only 13,000 miles, 95% towing our 10K Sprinter fifth wheel, they are wearing fast. Not only that, twice I have had trouble in mud or snow while pulling out of places with the trailer attached. These tires just filled up and became slicks in both situations. I need a tire that can clean itself when in the mud/snow, but don’t want a bunch of noise, either. I have had Michelin’s on all my vehicles for years and have been extremely happy with them. The Defenders on my Tahoe are fine, but I don’t think they come in load range D or E. Any experience with tires that don’t gum up in mud and snow?

Jim in Elizabeth, CO
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:41 AM   #27
jadatis

What was the loadrange and maxload of the Michelins . If fi only xl/ reinforced / extraload, the much lowermaxload is carried AT 42 or 41 psi. And the Sailons higher maxload AT 80 psi.
But still then you need higher pressure for the same load on tire.

I can calculate it for you, then give of both 3 things.
1. Maximum load or loadindex
2. Kind of tire to determine the pressure behind AT, or better that pressure.
3 speedcode , a letter standing for max allowed speed of tire.

If you dont have high enaugh pressure for the Sailons, they dont make the 50000miles, and can even give treath-separation or blowing tire after mayby 3 years .

Comfort is then even better, but savety first.

Also need of car , best weighed axle end loads in your loading, second best axle weights, 3th best GAWR's and GVWR.
Then nice would be, the max speed you use and wont go over for even a minute.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #28
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I saw that post and it interested me as well. I went to Sailuns website to check on them but got distracted by something and didn't follow up. I'm approaching 20,000 on my OEM Nexens and I doubt they make it to 30,000. .
Wow, I just replaced my oem Michelins with Nexen Rodian At Pro. I hope I get more miles than that. The are rated for 70K, I believe.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:43 AM   #29
CaptnJohn

Miles are much less a concern of mine than LR. There is 4.5 k in the bed when pulling a 17k 5er with an auxiliary tank and assorted stuff. New dually payload is 5598.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 08-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #30
JohnG

You do realize that they are made in China?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #31
Leencharlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I don't often talk about my truck tires because I use all terrain tires that are a bit more expensive than the run-of-the-mill all rib tires usually used.

My first two sets of tires were the straight rib tires. The OE tires were GY Wranglers and they started breaking-out at just above normal starting torque at the 20K mile mark. I replaced them with a set of Generals with a little stiffer compound. Same result at about 20K miles.

I researched the GY Silent Armor and was worried about the noise from the "AT" design. It was unwarranted. I got nearly 40K with them. Since then I've exclusively used the Kelly Edge AT. They are just as durable as the GY Silent Armor, last just as long and I buy them and get them installed at the US Army post exchange at Fort Bragg, At the post exchange they are discounted about 15%, and no tax. So, for me, they are about $900.00 out the door for all six. They may be a little higher there now, it's been about 3 years since the last replacement.

There is a major Kelly truck tire plant at Fayetteville. My younger brother has worked there for many years. If you're ever in the area take a plant tour. It's impressive. (I've also toured the Michelin plant near Greenville, SC).

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/kelly-edge-at
I am in the same boat with miles/wear. Got a 2016 SRW 350 and first set of Mich Defenders lasted 24k, got some Bstone K02’s. Have 17-18k now and 2 are ready to replace and the other 2 are not far behind

I don’t understand how folks are getting some of the miles i hear. I will check out what you posted as well as the Sailuns, not sure if they have in a 20” or jot
Leencharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #32
Northofu1

The Chinese have been making our consumables for so long now, they are better at it than we are.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #33
RobSwaney

we run a test

At work we run a test on the Saliuns on work trucks. We found that the tread chipped out on gravel we also found the side walls would cut easy when wet. Compared to the Michien At3. They were quiet on the pavement until the tread started to chip. We use 225/75 ×19.5 The continental tires though were not any better. Unfortunately not many brands of tires in that size. The F350 with 18 inch wheels we found the best so far is BF Goodrich AT K02.
RobSwaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #34
6.2 Superduty

Just had a set of Michelin defenders put on my f250 today at Sams,lt275 70 18 .
$898 including install and road hazard. Plus $85 sales tax.
Check their website often,often they have deals for 2 days only.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #35
doug aa

Tires

I just put Cooper XT fours on a 1 ton Dooley show I think they’re going to be very good in the BC mountains this winter
doug aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:53 PM   #36
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSwaney View Post
The F350 with 18 inch wheels we found the best so far is BF Goodrich AT K02.
I have the 20" wheels and from experience the BFG AT KO2s are absolute junk compared to the Saliun's I replaced mine with. that was a pretty hard thing for me to admit, as the BFG ATs have been my favorite tire for the last 27 years.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:27 AM   #37
notanlines

Leencharlotte, "first set of Mich Defenders lasted 24k" I can't imagine ANY set of Michelin only lasting that long. We have never gotten less than 65K from any set, and could have possibly gone longer on some. And yes, this is with hard commercial use and towing the heavy RV's. You should have had a heart to heart with the Michelin dealer after that.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:33 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Leencharlotte, "first set of Mich Defenders lasted 24k" I can't imagine ANY set of Michelin only lasting that long. We have never gotten less than 65K from any set, and could have possibly gone longer on some. And yes, this is with hard commercial use and towing the heavy RV's. You should have had a heart to heart with the Michelin dealer after that.
I agree...

We just changed out our Michelin's with 56,000 miles on them. About 35,000 of that was towing the fifth wheel over some pretty pathetic interstate highways. We could have easily gotten another 5K to 10K on them. The only reason for changing them now is the upcoming winter road conditions in Michigan. I just don't feel comfortable with "adequate for summer, not winter" tread depth. I even toyed with the idea to keep the Michelins and put them on again next summer, but at $60 to mount/balance, it just didn't seem to make "money sense" even though it may have made "tire sense".....

With only getting 24,000 miles, I'd bet Michelin would have made some kind of adjustment to your tires. Something just doesn't add up. We've always had more than 50K on every set of Michelins, regardless of how we've used them, even on the Mustang GT, and you can imagine the rear tire wear on that.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #39
CaptnJohn

My last F350 came with Michelin and were changed at 54k as I was leaving on a long trip for 4 months. Replaced with the same and at trade the dealer said the tires were like new. They had almost 50k on them as well.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 08-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

I have to say there is definitely something wrong with 24k from Michelin tires. I've never gotten only 24k from any "normal" tire - and Michelin are the best IMO; that excludes the factory Firestone tires on a new 89 Cougar and a set of Yokohama off road tires I shredded....off road.

The current Defenders on my 2500 have been on it for 42,000 miles and still look new and have 10/32 tread left (just measured out of curiousity). They would probably go 75-80k (since they came with 13.5 32nds new) but they won't.....I replace tires at 40-50k so it's about time for these to go.

The Michelin Premier LTX tires on my previous SUV had about 40k on them when I got rid of the vehicle and they looked as good as these...….
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires