Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

New Tires for the SuperDuty

Well, with my birthday coming up and winter fast approaching (I hate to admit either these days) and with 56,000 miles on the current Michelin LTX AT2's, it's questionable whether they'll make it through another northern Michigan winter with the current tread depth.

So, I priced new Michelin's around town, on the internet and at Sam's and Costco. The best I could find was around $1200 for 4 tires. Based on the comments of Steve and Marty in this thread: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ghlight=sailun I started looking at Sailun Terramax AT 4S. I found a set of 4 for $608, with tax and mounting/tire damage warranty, the OTD price comes to $720. They'll be here and ready for installation on Wednesday, the day after my birthday, so DW is using that as an excuse not to buy me that new welder I've been looking at.....

I'm not usually one to "step out there with my money" but given the reputation that Sailun has and the "almost half price of Michelin's", I'm going to take the risk.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
notanlines

You might remind her that what goes around comes around….I'm just sayin'...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

John give us a update after a few hundred miles. I am looking for all season tires on my f350 maybe Oct this year. Was thinking of the Cooper AT3s again. Just got a quote for those at total cost 800. I liked them my the last f350 but only had a few thousand on them when sold. I do have the Coopers AT3 on the trail blazer and they work great, maybe 8,000 plus miles on them.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
gearhead

I saw that post and it interested me as well. I went to Sailuns website to check on them but got distracted by something and didn't follow up. I'm approaching 20,000 on my OEM Nexens and I doubt they make it to 30,000.
Looks like Simple Tire and WalMart have them for about $118. It's a good looking tire.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:41 AM   #5
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I'm not usually one to "step out there with my money" but given the reputation that Sailun has and the "almost half price of Michelin's", I'm going to take the risk.....
that was my reasoning for getting them also, I have now hit 80000km on them (there rated life) and I could get one more summer out of them for sure, but might be a little low in tread depth for the winters out here. so looks like I will be ordering my second set pretty soon. hope they work as good for you as they did for me.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:11 AM   #6
Laredo Tugger

John,
Did you find your deal at a local tire shop near you or a national outlet?
Be good to know if others (like me,soon to be in the market for new TV tires) could find such a deal.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:52 AM   #7
Harleydodge

Would you guys with the Rams consider going up in size a bit?
I am getting ready to replace my stock Nexens as well, but I hate they way the look so small in the wheel wells. I was considering stepping them up a bit, but don't want to screw up my fuel mileage or handling.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
John,
Did you find your deal at a local tire shop near you or a national outlet?
Be good to know if others (like me,soon to be in the market for new TV tires) could find such a deal.
Thanks
RMc
I bought mine from WalMart.com. My tires are 275/70R18 LRE. The WalMart website has the incorrect photo on that tire. They show the Sailun HLT tread pattern (not the AT4-S tread pattern). Tires were listed at $152 each. I sent an email asking that they confirm which tread pattern it "really is"... The HLT tires in that size are $143. While I was waiting for the response, the price increased to $169 per tire. I complained and once they confirmed the tread pattern, they sold me the tires for $152 each.

That price is the best I could find (although I'm sure there's a better price at some "mom and pop place" somewhere..... Simple Tire was $173 per tire.

Total price with "free shipping to the store", tax and FET on rubber came to $644.48 and WalMart has 2 install packages. $15 for mount/balance/lifetime rotation or $25 for all that plus lifetime road hazard/tire adjustment included.

Since it's the "first set of Sailun's" for me, I'm inclined to opt for the road hazard/tire adjustment package, so total OTD price will range in the $744 range.

As a note, WalMart has not yet changed the photo on the AT4-S tire listing, but the specs are different for the HLT listing and the more aggressive AT tread listing, and they "assured me" that the description (not the photo) was correct. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sailun-Te...Tire/634205404

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Steve,

Thanks for the endorsement. I hope I get the same good service on mine as you've had on yours.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #10
Laredo Tugger

Thanks John.
I did a few searches my last post after and put that Walmart site on my bookmarks. I may go for the HLT tire as I do not need the aggressive tread pattern for winter driving conditions.
Sounds like you did your homework for road hazard and warranty concerns and did some fine shopping. I think you saved enough to go buy the welder.
Just have it shipped to the house and when DW sees it just say your girlfriend bought it for your birthday. That way the welder "purchase" doesn't look so bad. Works every time.......really
Harleydodge, I don't have an answer but there is a knowledgeable tire guy on here. I think he is "CW The Man". He would have a good answer and I would be interested to know myself.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #11
CWtheMan

I don't often talk about my truck tires because I use all terrain tires that are a bit more expensive than the run-of-the-mill all rib tires usually used.

My first two sets of tires were the straight rib tires. The OE tires were GY Wranglers and they started breaking-out at just above normal starting torque at the 20K mile mark. I replaced them with a set of Generals with a little stiffer compound. Same result at about 20K miles.

I researched the GY Silent Armor and was worried about the noise from the "AT" design. It was unwarranted. I got nearly 40K with them. Since then I've exclusively used the Kelly Edge AT. They are just as durable as the GY Silent Armor, last just as long and I buy them and get them installed at the US Army post exchange at Fort Bragg, At the post exchange they are discounted about 15%, and no tax. So, for me, they are about $900.00 out the door for all six. They may be a little higher there now, it's been about 3 years since the last replacement.

There is a major Kelly truck tire plant at Fayetteville. My younger brother has worked there for many years. If you're ever in the area take a plant tour. It's impressive. (I've also toured the Michelin plant near Greenville, SC).

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/kelly-edge-at
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #12
travelin texans

My GMC came equipped with 17" Michelin LTXs, not aggressive enough for Michigan winters, that had 70k miles, could've gotten more but headed out for summer travel, with approximately 1/2 those miles towing a 16.5k 5th wheel.
I replaced with the same tire ($1500 OTD installed for 6) that had 65k miles when I sold the truck & still had plenty of tread left.
I've ran GYs, Firestone, Bridgestone, Goodrich, Toyo, Yokohama & others that from my experiences you'd need to buy 2 or more sets to get 70k miles from, the Michelins cost more, but IMO you get more.
Don't have any experience with Sailuns on my vehicles, but was very impressed with the 17.5" H rated on my 5th wheel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
My GMC came equipped with 17" Michelin LTXs, not aggressive enough for Michigan winters, that had 70k miles, could've gotten more but headed out for summer travel, with approximately 1/2 those miles towing a 16.5k 5th wheel.
I replaced with the same tire ($1500 OTD installed for 6) that had 65k miles when I sold the truck & still had plenty of tread left.
I've ran GYs, Firestone, Bridgestone, Goodrich, Toyo, Yokohama & others that from my experiences you'd need to buy 2 or more sets to get 70k miles from, the Michelins cost more, but IMO you get more.
Don't have any experience with Sailuns on my vehicles, but was very impressed with the 17.5" H rated on my 5th wheel.
Your experience is much the same as mine has been with regard to Michelin's longevity. I've had Michelin tires on my truck and the DW's SUV/car since 1993 with excellent results and I have no complaints about the LTX line except price. Four tires for my truck are roughly $1200 before installation and with the Sam's Club discount/rebate offer ($70 off 4 tires) they are still over $1100 for a set. My current tires have 56K miles, and won't make it through the winter (comfortably) because of the "self imposed need for more tread". I just can't justify the risk associated with running "slicks on Michigan's winter roads".

For me, it makes economic sense (in my weird way of thinking) to consider a cheaper tire, hoping (based on other's experience) that I can "come close to the Michelin reliability/endurance while saving money to boot.

Hopefully this isn't a mistake, but as I told my DW, "Even if we find it didn't work out as expected, we still can say that we had "aggressive tires" for this coming winter.

Based on "doing the math" if the Michelin's last 5 years and 60K miles (mine would if I wanted to go into winter with these tires) and they cost 45% more than the Sailun's, then if the sailuns last 33K, then I've broke even and anything beyond that is "money in my pocket" (assuming the ride, noise level, maintenance are equal)... I suppose I'll know for sure in a couple of years. Who knows, by then, at my age, I may be worried about other things than tires lasting another 3 years LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
travelin texans

Traded my truck for a Jeep Wrangler that has Bridgestone Desert Dualers currently with 17+k miles, no off-road miles, that are already showing significant wear, doubt I'll get to 35k before needing replaced & WILL NOT be replaced with same tire.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

We bought a new Mountaineer in 1999. It had Firestone tires on it. Once the recall was expanded to include ALL Explorer vehicles and ALL tires, we got a check from Ford for around $350. The Mountaineer had about 15K on it then and the tires were noticeably worn. I replaced them with Michelin's (the plan after OEM tires were worn anyway) and never looked back. Between Firestone and Bridgestone, I have never seen much difference and neither has ever provided any longevity from what I've learned from friends who have them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #16
CaptnJohn

Just bought a new dually.my 2016 F350 had Michelin stock. I replaced them at 54k. At 95k dealer stated they looked new. I’ll look hard at Sailun when 6 need replacing.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:42 AM   #17
Stircrazy

Quote:
Steve,

Thanks for the endorsement. I hope I get the same good service on mine as you've had on yours.
I had to do a quick calculation, mine have a tread life warranty of 80000KM so that would be about 50000 miles. is that what they are saying down there?

I don't drive on cement roads (if that's what part of the country your are in), everything is ash fault up here so I don't know how that affects tires ….

one thing to remember is there might be a bit more tire noise than you had if you are switching from a highway tired to a all terrain tire, I don't notice any, but I went from. a AT to a AT

my next set will last longer that 1.5 years as I out my car back on the road to commute to work and back. I have Michelin defenders on the car that were supposed to give me 145000km tread life, I am at around 100 and Ill need new tires when I put the summers back on, so I am very disappointed in the defender, guess Ill give the Sailun car tires a try.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:45 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Our roads are about half asphalt half concrete, so a mixed bag of road surfaces. I don't know how that factors into the tread ware either. I guess we'll both learn from experience on that one.

As for noise, I've currently got Michelin LTX AT2's on the truck. They're supposed to be an AT tread pattern, but it looks more like an aggressive highway tread than a "lugged AT tread". At any rate, they are noisy at highway speeds and concrete roads tend to make them "hummmm" much more than asphalt roads, so I don't think there'll be much difference between the Sailun and the Michelin. I'll know on Wednesday LOL

As for tire wear, the Sailuns are warrantied for 50K miles. Michelins in the US are warrantied for 60K miles (but if you read the warranty exclusions, you'll realize that nobody can meet the documentation required to maintain the warranty past the first year or so) The way both are written, and the "tutorial for dealerships to administer the warranty" are pitfalls for the consumer. When a tire manufacturer prompts a dealer to make statements like, "Have you had any curbing of the tire that you're not aware of?" That suggest to me a "trap to build exclusions. How would an owner know if he did something that he doesn't know about?????

Anyway, I couldn't come up with any reasons not to give the Sailuns a chance, so I suppose "time will tell"...

My experience with Michelin Defenders is about like yours. My DW's Escape has them and they wore well for the first 40K miles, then seemed to really increase wear patterns that last 20K miles... One way to suggest my experience is, "They looked new for the first 40K, then wore out completely in the next 15K or so."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #19
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
John give us a update after a few hundred miles. I am looking for all season tires on my f350 maybe Oct this year. Was thinking of the Cooper AT3s again. Just got a quote for those at total cost 800. I liked them my the last f350 but only had a few thousand on them when sold. I do have the Coopers AT3 on the trail blazer and they work great, maybe 8,000 plus miles on them.

Yep, that is what I have and love them Cooper AT3's.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #20
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
.... So, I priced new Michelin's around town, on the internet and at Sam's and Costco. The best I could find was around $1200 for 4 tires....
Same here, I'm in the same boat and was going to put a new set of Michelin. Absolutely fantastic performance for more than 80,000 mi.

But then they're really pricy. I may look into Sailun HLT, as I do not drive it in any snow or mud normally. Looking for a quiet ride is important to me.

Thanks for waking me up 😜
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires