Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2019, 11:06 PM   #21
Audionut

Newbie here. It seems the GY Endurance is a good tire to go with according to a lot of posts. The size on our 2015 KEYSTONE COUGAR 30RLI is ST225/75R15D with a max psi of 65.

It appears the GY Endurance max psi is 80, so would I have to get different rims that would allow higher psi?
Old 10-02-2019, 05:25 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
Newbie here. It seems the GY Endurance is a good tire to go with according to a lot of posts. The size on our 2015 KEYSTONE COUGAR 30RLI is ST225/75R15D with a max psi of 65.

It appears the GY Endurance max psi is 80, so would I have to get different rims that would allow higher psi?
Check on the backside of the rim for a max tire inflation. It may be on the rim or on the spokes. When you crawl under the camper don't forget to take a flashlight, a rag, and your phone to take a pic of it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:36 AM   #23
Snoking

Quote:

If they are 5 lug wheels, they are rated to 2540(D), 6 lug rated to 2830(E). I did the same tire upgrade on our 2019 Laredo with a 8K GVWR and run them at 71 PSI. Our wheels were rated for LRE tires.

Just finishing up on our the first half of the second round trip to Az from the NW. So they have around 5K miles on them.

The pictures that I could find of your model appear to have 5 lug wheels!

The E rated tire in the same size carries the same weight at 65 PSI as the D rated tire, so I add a little more for good measure. You could go to the LRE tire and just run it at 65 PSI which is 10160 lbs of capacity for four tires. Your GVWR appears to be 9500 and part of that is tongue weight. They did not do you much of a favor if it has the 5 lug wheels. Chris
Old 10-02-2019, 05:42 AM   #24
busterbrown

Quote:

The Goodyear Endurance in that size are rated as a load range E tire. They would require 80 PSI to provide 2830 lbs of load carrying capacity. This would increase the reserve load capacity, something that seems to be marginalized by RV manufacturers.

If you do go this route, please be advised that the wheels must support that PSI as well.

As a side note: if the wheels do not support this load, Carlisle makes a good Radial Trail HD ST tire in load D that will match your current OEM fitment. Here's the chart for reference:

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...adial-trail-hd
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:55 AM   #25
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
The Goodyear Endurance in that size are rated as a load range E tire. They would require 80 PSI to provide 2830 lbs of load carrying capacity. This would increase the reserve load capacity, something that seems to be marginalized by RV manufacturers.

If you do go this route, please be advised that the wheels must support that PSI as well.

As a side note: if the wheels do not support this load, Carlisle makes a good Radial Trail HD ST tire in load D that will match your current OEM fitment. Here's the chart for reference:

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...adial-trail-hd
Every time I see "lite" associated with a RV trailer I run the other direction. That's why we bought the little Laredo 225MK. It came with 4400 axles and 6 lug wheels with a 8K GVWR, and 2220 carrying capacity. Commuting to AZ and back from Washington we use most of that capacity up.

Air pressure in the tire is what carries the weight. What is the difference between running the Carlisle LRD tire vs running the Endurance at 65PSI, besides GY having a better warranty? Chris
Old 10-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

On the back of the wheel should be a number that tells you the max for the wheel; mine give the weight carried (2830) others give max psi.

If you have 5 lug wheels as Snoking suggested, and you are limited to a LRD tire, I think I would go with the LRE and run at 65psi or so. I have to think the tire is more robust than the D. My Carlisle HDs are rated for 81 mph which is far faster than they will ever see.

If the gvw of your trailer is 9500 I would be looking VERY hard at upgrading to LRE tires (probably wheels knowing what I know now). My trailer is 10k gvw and came with LRD tires; 10,160 total carrying weight vs 10k gvw. I know some think you can take the tongue weight off of that but I don't subscribe to that since on the highway, with all the jumps, bumps, tongue up/down etc. those tires are subjected to FAR more than just the gvw of the trailer at times. Plus, if the weight in your trailer is not perfectly balanced over the tires, which I would bet it's not, you can easily have one tire overloaded raising the chance of a blown tire significantly. That's what happened to us; my tire ratings exceeded the gvw of my trailer by 160lbs. - way too close and I've had the blowout and damage to prove it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
rjrelander

Still our first season on Goodyear Endurance so too early to provide any useful feedback. Maybe a couple thousand miles so far. Will be taking it down to Oklahoma in a week and a half. That will be a solid two thousand mile round trip. Will also be the longest trip for this trailer. Wish us luck!

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Audionut, Did you purchase this trailer new and owned it since '15? The reason I ask is there's a lot of folks speculating that the trailer has the wheels than came with the camper. If your the second owner than no ones if the wheels or axles have been replaced so look at the back of the wheels or post a pic to confirm.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #29
Snoking

Is this the wheel on your trailer?

Old 10-02-2019, 05:33 PM   #30
fjr vfr

Don't forget if you are running load range E and more than 65 psi you need to be using solid core valve stems.
Rubber core valve stems are only rated to 65 psi. Many people miss this small detail and continue using the same valve stems.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #31
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Don't forget if you are running load range E and more than 65 psi you need to be using solid core valve stems.
Rubber core valve stems are only rated to 65 psi. Many people miss this small detail and continue using the same valve stems.
To go even further, If using external sensors for TPMS on the stems, I'd suggest 100% metal stems. Otherwise, there may be issues with centrifugal forces on brass/rubber high pressure variety.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote