Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2016, 04:21 AM   #1
Chillaxin' III

Talking THE Speaker replacement thread (All Join In!)

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to this forum; but like all forums I join--I try to jump right in and get involved!

I've been researching other people's threads about adding / replacing / modifying their factory speakers, and I wanted to start an all-inclusive speaker thread all by itself...without the need to "search" and read dozens of pages to get to some sort of speaker-related discussion.

So here goes:

I have a 2015 Keystone Bullet 310BHS. It came equipped with some really LOUSY speakers. A brand called "Pummel Drive". (?) They suck, they have tiny little magnets, and they're certainly not "pummeling" anything (especially not with BASS). So I replaced the two interior speakers today.

THE INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR SPEAKERS ARE IN FACT 5.25". The interiors (with the twist-off white grilles) have a FRAME that is CLOSE to a 6.5", but not quite. They are a larger frame with a smaller 5.25" speaker housed in them.

I replaced my interior speakers with a pair of Boston Acoustics SE65 6.5" coaxial (2-way) speakers. They feature poly cones and a rubber surround, and a textile (not Mylar, titanium or aluminum) dome tweeter, for softer highs without being tinny or harsh. Since Boston recently stopped producing car audio components; I got them for half price ($65 vs. $120).

ON MY CAMPER, I HAD 3" OF ROOM BEHIND THE CEILING FOR "MOUNTING DEPTH"--WHICH IS A LOT. YOU'D HAVE A LITTLE MORE IF YOU COMPRESS THE FIBERGLASS INSULATION SLIGHTLY.

I had to enlarge the stock openings by about 5/16" and I did this with a cordless jig saw with a shortened (cut-off) blade tip to minimize the chances of contacting any other wiring, fiberglass insulation or roof structure while cutting. The ceiling panels in these campers are made from a light weight Luaun plywood, and cut very easily. I used a fine-toothed saw blade made for thin metal; so it wasn't too aggressive. In fact, the new cut line (circle) that I drew intersected all 8 original screw mounting holes--so the old mounting holes were all cut out when I enlarged the opening.

I drilled 4 new pilot holes and voila! They look amazing, sound phenomenal, and are actually lower-profile (grilles) than the stock speakers, to ensure clearance (1") under the slide-out room's wooden trim frame. The bass will improve in a few days, after the voice coils and rubber surrounds are broken-in; as with all high-end speaker drivers.

The exteriors are 5.25" with a standard frame and grille size. I will be replacing the two exterior speakers with higher quality marine speakers this week.

THIS IS A VERY EASY MODIFICATION, GUYS!

Please help me add to this thread with your replacement speakers specs, installation details, pictures, etc. Thanks guys!

--Rob
Chillaxin' III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
Tbos

Looks nice. Thanks for the details.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
bitten

Following your topic
bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
tgoodwin321

Following this too. Thanks for the info. The last thing the DW would want me to throw more $$ at but always looking for ideas.
Life rich but $$broke as a joke!
tgoodwin321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
Camping Buddys

Thumbs up

Nice job on the speakers.
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:37 AM   #6
Dave W

Nice set of speakers. Too bad that you couldn't have replaced that very light wiring. I did something similar on our last 5er but with using a decent SONY home theater system in-a-box but always thought that it was limited by that wiring. A few years later, my hearing and $$ hearing aids don't make that mod a worthwhile investment
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
MissJordan

Following as well, our speakers suck As well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MissJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
Lariatbob

Re: THE Speaker replacement thread (All Join In!)

Along the same lines- Does anyone have suggestions to replace the terrible Jensen cd/dvd/tuner system?
Lariatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #9
srvnt

Anything is better than the cheezy stockers.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
rdhouston

Old thread, I know but I feel a bit sad for the lack of response the OP got.

The stock a/v is pretty, however the thing is really pricey. I only use it for Bluetooth interface with the outdoor speakers now.

I installed a Sony DVD player, not an expensive one in the slot next to where the original radio is.

Then we started watching movies and when the AC would kick on you couldn't hear a thing.

So I bought a Vizio sound bar / subwoofer (model 3821) combo and installed that in front of the TV. Puts out great sound, rocks the trailer, we can hear movies, and I'm probably aggravating the campground neighbors.

Now I want to go back to the original speakers in the interior, and replace those adding two additional to the to the B Channel so maybe we can get a pseudo surround sound out of it inside. It would really just be for music. Matter of fact I might just run it towards the front into the bedroom.
Next will be replacing the outdoor speakers as those are terrible, too.
Stay tuned
Old 10-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
RVGator

Outside speaker replacement

I took off the stock outdoor speakers which did not sound good at all and replaced them with 6.5” kicker marine speakers. Found a pair of surface mounts on amazon so I didn’t have to drill any holes and boom. Done. Up next are to replace the interior ceiling mounted ones that are 5” I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C024C176-1F73-46E3-903E-6B49489C3711.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	24175  
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #12
Yakburger

I replaced the stock (crap) speakers with a pair of Polk speakers and they certainly made a huge difference. I plan to replace the thin wires with real speaker wire when I upgrade the Furrion stereo and the Pummel Drive TV this winter. I plan to put in a good quality CD/Stereo to replace the Furrion (no DVD). For movies I will replace the PD TV with a good Samsung and use my Blu Ray player for movies using the TV speakers. They're not too bad (much better than the ones on the stock TV). I did this in my Jayco and it worked great. (The Polk speakers also were in the Jayco).
Yakburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
oldognewtrick

I just replaced the ceiling speakers with some JBL's. I had a pair of BOSE cube speakers I put under the tv shelf and tied them into th "B" button on the system. What an improvement it made. Next up is replacing the outdoor speakers.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #14
ajk170

I too replaced the living room speakers and the outdoor speakers with something a little better and we added a soundbar when we upgraded the TV to a slightly larger LG. I found that I had to enlarge my living room holes by .25" house the new speakers. The outside speakers were these

[URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MCGEYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"[/URL]

And the Inside speakers were these:
[URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6HWCM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1"[/URL]
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #15
foldbak

Yamaha sound bar. We dont even use the ceiling speakers. Sounds amazing!

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAS-10...78162397&psc=1

Sonos 5 for outside.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Play-Ul...s%2C204&sr=1-2
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #16
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
Yamaha sound bar. We dont even use the ceiling speakers. Sounds amazing!

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAS-10...78162397&psc=1

Sonos 5 for outside.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Play-Ul...s%2C204&sr=1-2
Let me get this right--- you used to us the ceiling speakers for the TV audio? If so, how? A setting on your headunit?
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Let me get this right--- you used to us the ceiling speakers for the TV audio? If so, how? A setting on your headunit?
Use an RCA patch cable (usually red and white) connect the audio out on the TV to the AUX in on the back of the stereo. Then select AUX on the stereo function and adjust the volume. If you have 4 ceiling speakers, L/R will adjust left and right balance and FADE will adjust front/rear volume/balance.

If your TV doesn't have audio out connections, you can make/buy a "modified RCA patch cable with a "headphone jack" on one end and just plug the headphone jack into the TV headphone plug and the other end into the stereo AUX in plugs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #18
Bill-2020

Ah, ok. I understand. Thanks.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:19 PM   #19
Nitram987

Speakers factory wired out of phase

Sorry. I haven't read the entirety of this thread but today when I checked the factory wiring of my Furrion powered Pummell speakers, and they were definitely wired out of phase (i'm an electrical engineer with an ohmmeter in hand). My advice -- check yours.
Nitram987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #20
Hey Louie

My question would be if I keep the Furion head unit and just replace the outdoor speakers will I be able to hear a noticeable difference or do I need to replace both?
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote