Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2015, 03:52 AM   #21
bdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I wish we could learn what may have caused the blow out or what the tire shop said.
TBC will be forwarding my claim on to one of the three manufacturers that make tires for the Trailer King brand today after I get the DOT number for her.

I will let the forum know what happens.

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:05 AM   #22
TomHaycraft

I'll stoke the fire on this one a bit ...

The Trailer King tire that exploded ... had it been balanced?

Until someone shows me the data, I feel that needs to be part of the equation and part of the discussion when talking about relative risk for tire failure. Certainly, not all unbalanced tires fail; however, the stress placed on a tire pounding from being out of balance, must play a part in the life of a tire.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post

Until someone shows me the data, I feel that needs to be part of the equation and part of the discussion when talking about relative risk for tire failure. Certainly, not all unbalanced tires fail; however, the stress placed on a tire pounding from being out of balance, must play a part in the life of a tire.
I agree. The repeated, rapid bouncing will cause excessive sidewall flex as well as possible tread scuffing which can lead to damage. Both will increase heat, set up abnormal stress points and can easily lead to tire failure either from sidewall failure or tread separation. As stated, not all unbalanced tires fail, but unbalanced tires can lead to increased failure rates.

To a point that was made earlier regarding tread separation/failure. One wouldn't necessarily hit a bump or obstacle and have "IMMEDIATE" tread failure. One could hit a pothole and start the process, not even notice it on close tire inspection and experience tire failure several thousand miles later when the damaged area separates to a point of failure. As with many issues, a little damage can grow into a significant issue over time, especially with repeated use/stress. Damage isn't always immediately catastrophic.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:25 AM   #24
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post

Interesting thought. I've never seen tires balanced on a new RV from the factory. ST tires are notorious for being out of balance. In fact, the new tires I just put on mine all took about 3-4 oz to balance....not bad, but I had to wait for DT to order a new one because one they mounted need 8.5 oz. They said they would not put that tire on any vehicle, I was feeling the same way. Makes me wonder how much additional abuse that tire/suspension would have taken if it had just been mounted, not balanced, and then run down the road at 60/65 for several thousand miles.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:06 AM   #25
bdaniel

Regarding tire balance, the tire was in the same state and location as it came from the factory. I never did anything but check air pressure before each trip.

Regarding hitting things with the tire. I don't recall ever hitting anything but if I did then the two truck tires hit the same debris.

Bobby
Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #26
cabinfever

IMO, I will have to agree somewhere that tire took a hard hit. Being on the curb side it may have been a curb, storm drain, etc. Could have been damaged at the RV Dealers lot or on the way from the factory. The more likely, because of speed factor at time of impact, was a pot hole or other obstacle in the road. Again, chances are the tire was damaged before you took delivery and was just a matter of time before it let go. Many times after a hard hit the damage is not visible from the outside of the tire either. The outside may just show a scuff while on the inside more damage is visible. I agree with Javi, EVERY manufacture has had a failure. Most failures are not a product of a bad tire. Most are from road damage and under inflation.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #27
Desert185

It seems pretty clear that the chinese tires suffer random failures more than non-chinese tires. The solution to minimize random failures? Install non-chinese tires. At least that is my solution...and to be fair, Sailun's may be the exception to the rule.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #28
bdaniel

DOT 0913 so I think that means Sep 2013.

Anyway Crown Tire made Trailer King tires during that time and someone from China will be contacting me......

Bobby
Old 01-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post
DOT 0913 so I think that means Sep 2013.

Anyway Crown Tire made Trailer King tires during that time and someone from China will be contacting me......

Bobby
LOL I hope you can read Chinese And DOT0913 means the 9th week of 2013. That would be somewhere around Feb 24 - Mar 2, 2013.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #30
carwheel_09

Trailer King Tire Exploded at 75% Load

I bought a 2014 Montana 3610rl in November. It was built in March of 2014. It had Power King Tow Max STR tires on it. When I looked at the tire date they were made in late 2012. Not really that old but decided to replace them with a fresh set of Maxxis tires. When tire dealer pulled them off one of the had defect. After reading all the posts about blowout glad I did. New tires were less expensive than paying my $1500 dollar deductible and I have peace of mind.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #31
carwheel_09

Forgot to add I use Dyna Beads to balance the tires. If you use them you will also need to the have filtered valve cores. Used Helium on this set of tires don't have the pressure changes due to temperature changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #32
Ken / Claudia

Good to know they will advise you about what caused the failure. It might take a few months to hear back but, let us know. As we all know the tires do fail and do so for many reasons. Most posters on here just show or print about a tire blowing up. Understanding why will only help all on this site. Thanks
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #33
Rex1vt

DESERT185- Maxxis are by Cheng Shin,they are on the list and have a near clean slate.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #34
CWtheMan

Smile

The generic Keystone Owner’s manual (04-14) does not mention tire balancing.

The Trailer King tires (Vanderbilt umbrella) warranty does not mention tire balancing.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/8945...-19_-_1545.pdf

http://www.trailerkingtires.com/tire...ation=warranty

CW

p.s. Some tire manufacturers do not allow any form of liquid or solid substances to be inserted into some of the tires they manufacturer. It would be best to check your tire warranty before using balancing beads of any form.

(I've already looked, Maxxis does not mention anything about it in their trailer tire warranty).
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #35
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwheel_09 View Post
Forgot to add I use Dyna Beads to balance the tires. If you use them you will also need to the have filtered valve cores. Used Helium on this set of tires don't have the pressure changes due to temperature changes.

Helium? I hope you meant to say Nitrogen. Even then, since the atmosphere is made up of 78% Nitrogen, you're only replacing the other 21% O2.

The folks at Edmunds did the math and found the test results from others and compiled it into an article, and unless you're getting a Nitrogen fill for free, it's probably not worth it.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/shou...-nitrogen.html

That 21% doesn't amount to much of a pressure difference.

Even if you are getting it for free, ask the nitrogen filler what purity their nitrogen fill is. None are 100%.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #36
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I can’t tell from your pictures what started the failure. Probably sudden impact in the vicinity of the two vertical tears. I don’t think it was a tread separation because I couldn’t detect any melted threads. I’m surprised the people at discount tire didn’t give you some feedback on the failed tire.

I hope you got a warranty written by Discount Tire for the Michelin tires. Michelin will nor warranty any of their LT tires used to replace Original Equipment ST tires. Actually I’m surprised that a large Discount Tire retailer like the one in Jacksonville wouldn’t have asked you questions about their usage. I doubt that they registered them. You can get blank registration papers on the net and register them yourself.

Sometimes the misuse of OE tires can be traced back to the delivery drivers or dealers. Probably the miles you have put on them will take that path to a dead end.

Personally I would not mention your replacement choice as an option. And, I would never make a recommendation for them because of the misapplication problem. However, they have plenty of reserve load capacity for your application and they should serve well as trailer tires.

CW
american tire will warrenty Michelin LT ribs.And highly recommend it over any ST Chinese bomb. Bought 7 of them. Dam expensive. But what's your family scurity worth. 6 year warrenty no interest up to a year. I will be selling my rig by that time.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:04 AM   #37
CWtheMan

This statement is also in their operating procedures. Wonder how they gaff that off?

“Make sure the tire has load carrying capacity equal to or greater than what the vehicle placard suggests.” Item #1 under upsizing.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...lectingTire.do

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:49 AM   #38
Rex1vt

JRTJH- The NHTSA site has a Power King Towmax sort which shows Cooper Tire as the manufacture, but nothing for the PK Trailer King model, do you have any insight on that?
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:40 AM   #39
bsmith0404

ST tires are difficult to get a good balance, but worth it. due to the construction, weight, and sidewall height they typically take a lot of weight. Balancing beads would be a good option to consider, as mentioned most tire manufacturers recommend against it. Personal opinion, they recommend against it due to the construction of some beads being made of a glass compound that can eat away at the inside of the tire (my opinion based on what I have read). Dyna beads are a ceramic construction. I use them in the tires on my truck, they work great, but are expensive, about $95 for 4 tires. You would need 6 oz per tire. Due to cost, I don't use them on the RV, I figure once per year I can let DT balance them for free. Good time to get a real good look at everything on the suspension.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex1vt View Post
JRTJH- The NHTSA site has a Power King Towmax sort which shows Cooper Tire as the manufacture, but nothing for the PK Trailer King model, do you have any insight on that?
I've got no concrete data to tie Cooper Tire Co to PowerKing or to Kenda Tire, but Cooper does own the Cooper Chengshan (Shandong) Tire facility. I can't find a clear, concise listing of the brands of tires produced there. With the "intermingled investment strategy" used to confuse overseas holdings and investments, who knows what company really produces what brands either for their own market or to sell to the competition markets.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS