Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
petey82

How best to limit condensation

Wasn't sure where to post this so I thought I would try here. As recent 1/2 timers in the pacific NW we're wondering how all of you full timers or most timers handle condensation in the winter months. I leave fan's on, crack windows and use Dryzair but we still have moisture on the windows on rainy day's which are plentiful in this area. Do you use humidifiers? If so which one's work best? Thanks for any information or help you can give.
petey82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I wouldn't use a humidifier. I'm sure it's a typo, they ADD humidity.

I'm subscribing to this thread, as I too crack windows and run vent fans to minimize moisture, but I have learned to live with the fact that your in a confined space and even exhaling adds moisture.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
petey82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I wouldn't use a humidifier. I'm sure it's a typo, they ADD humidity.

I'm subscribing to this thread, as I too crack windows and run vent fans to minimize moisture, but I have learned to live with the fact that your in a confined space and even exhaling adds moisture.
Thanks yes I meant De-humdifier
Old 11-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

petey82 -
Some members have had success with the Eva-Dry line of dehumidifiers - namely the 2200 model. Check out their website for features, specs, etc. In addition to having some of the windows ajar slightly, I also crank open the overhead vents a bit. The other steps you are taking should help ---- a small fan keeping air circulating and the crystals although a dehumidifier would eliminate the need for that and probably extract more moisture from the air than the crystals.

If you are using your furnace to provide some heat, that will not help with condensation on the windows; in fact, it will probably add to the problem.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
therink

This sounds a little extreme but I have had success running the Air conditioning fan while running furnace or electric heater to help keep air circulating. This has helped me reduce condensation. Again AC fan on manual (not with AC compressor running).

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

You did not say if you have roof vent covers. If not get them and keep the vents open. I was not so sure they say no rain water will get inside thru them. We had a 40fter at Long Beach Wa. and that proved it. No rain even in the high winter wind/rain storms. Since than I have had them on 2 others rvs.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
petey82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
You did not say if you have roof vent covers. If not get them and keep the vents open. I was not so sure they say no rain water will get inside thru them. We had a 40fter at Long Beach Wa. and that proved it. No rain even in the high winter wind/rain storms. Since than I have had them on 2 others rvs.
Funny you should ask about the vent covers. Some did come with the travel trailer but they had not been put on. The previous owners had the trailer under cover at all times and never used them. Hubby was going to read up on installing them. He just wants to make sure he does it correctly. I wonder if any on here have installed them or do most take them in to have them done. He's pretty handy and thinks it would be an easy install. As you can tell we have lots to learn but we are willing, able and love our RV way of life
Old 11-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I have installed numerous vent covers, and my "claim to fame" at the dealership is I can have them installed before a customer spends their gift certificate in the parts dept.

Just shoot me a PM with the brand and I'll be glad to help.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
petey82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have installed numerous vent covers, and my "claim to fame" at the dealership is I can have them installed before a customer spends their gift certificate in the parts dept.

Just shoot me a PM with the brand and I'll be glad to help.
Cover's are on and hubby only got a little wet Thanks for the info.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Good to hear! Put the tea kettle on for some cocoa.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:18 AM   #11
{tpc}

We too had condensation problems for the first time, during our last camping trip. Since it was our last trip, and we were cleaning everything up anyways, I spent most of the time soaking up the condensation with paper towel. There were literally puddles on most of the window ledges.

I have vent covers, so its good to know this would help. My question is, how much heat is lost through the vents by keeping them open?

I had left mine shut because the temps were getting pretty low at night, and with the furnace running oft enough I was worried the propane might run low and we would be out of heat.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
jkohler70

Like someone else stated, run the A/C fan while keeping a roof vent open. The A/C fan intake on the ceiling should help capture and return to the living space some of the heat. It's the same reason I run my home HVAC fan continuously. It helps acheive a more uniform temperature throughout the living space.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

Tony, I think the question about having vents open and being to cold etc. Is really up to you and even your wife. I am fine with the temps. then my wife goes turns up or down the temps. Mostly I keep the vent near the rear kitchen full open, bath room full open, bedroom closed or part open. thats camping temps high 30s to 50s at night. Keeping everything closed could save propane use but, than you have the moisture problems. I think the moisture is a bigger problem.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #14
rodgebone

I'm a full time RVer - just me and my dog breathing and cooking in a 29' TT - we rarely use propane heat - just a portable electric heater. I have an Eva Dry 1100 unit (the same unit sold under multiple brands on places like Amazon etc). it's supposed to cover 1100 sq ft but was obviously too small for my 29' TT so i tried supplementing it with THREE Eva Dry E-333 desiccant units in the main living areas - one in the bedroom, one in the pantry and one in the bunkhouse. each E-333 should cover 333 sq ft so mathematically all these units combined should MORE than cover my TT bumper to bumper (not including a 4th E-333 in my pass through storage area). but they hardly make a dent here in Oregon during the winter even with cracked windows, open ceiling vents and the fan on high. if you want a REAL dehumidifier then spend the big bucks on a high capacity unit knowing you will ALWAYS need a shoreline to run it. i spent around $130 for all my efforts but they dont cut it and i still have to wipe down the windows and around the baseboards every morning to prevent rot and mold. i'm learning the hard way that i will need to spend another $250+ for a BIG stick built home-like dehumidifier which will require daily shoreline power. maybe even that won't be enough with single pane windows and poor baseboard insulation.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey82 View Post
Wasn't sure where to post this so I thought I would try here. As recent 1/2 timers in the pacific NW we're wondering how all of you full timers or most timers handle condensation in the winter months. I leave fan's on, crack windows and use Dryzair but we still have moisture on the windows on rainy day's which are plentiful in this area. Do you use humidifiers? If so which one's work best? Thanks for any information or help you can give.
Don't us Dri-z-air as if the liquid is spilled on any pores surface it will always attract moisture. I have used the Eva-Dry devices in a stored 5er in the PNW, and refreshed every couple weeks, we also used when we first started full timing. We found they just couldn't keep up.
We currently full time and have a 30 pint dehumidifier that is on 24/7, it is a sensing unit and will turn off once we reach our desired humidity level (40%). It is tucked under our table, some days we empty it twice some times it can go two days. We are currently on the Oregon Coast about 50' from the ocean so yes it is wet!
We run the bathroom vent when taking showers, stove vent when cooking, run the furnace on electric, although running on gas doesn't add moisture. The only time we get condensation on windows (lite) is when we are getting a wind driven cold rain on them.
Two adults and a 30# beagle in a 32' 5er.
The picture is from our early times on the coast and before we got a dehumidifier.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey82 View Post
Cover's are on and hubby only got a little wet Thanks for the info.
very good, we also have the vent covers on all of our vents. They will age out and become brittle (Camco). We had a couple of ours taken out down here last year by small branches during gale force winds. We replaced with MaxAir with a six year warranty.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote