Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

I should have added that the "more economical" led's do a poorer job of producing "white light". Typically you get what you pay for in that sort of product. The led conversions that I did on my clearance lights are these:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...hoC1g0QAvD_BwE

They were more expensive than just a led bulb but the design of the these lights have a very limited space for the lamp. I drive with my running lights on during the day (I figure the more visual the less chance of being hit) but with the original incandescents during the day I could not tell they were on. The led retrofit made them visible in the daylight so it was worth the money for me.

I replaced the roof top cab lights on my TV with smoked lenses because I thought they looked better. What I noticed was, the kits for the amber lenses also came with amber leds. https://gorecon.com/product/ford-99-...r-xenon-bulbs/

To each his own, I've bought cheal led's and replaced the interior lights and spent too much time "tapping the lenses to get them to come on or removing the lenses and "playing with the lamp to get it to stay on. I replaced them with a little more expensive led (not ridiculous) and the issue went away. The "junk" replacement led's can wreak havoc on television interference, radio reception, have even seen reports of some trucks throwing trouble codes and going into "limp home" mode due to poorly built led's.

I'd urge anyone considering replacements to do your homework. When the led craze first hit there was a proliferation of junk leds being sold at greatly reduced costs. Afterall, why pay $15 for one led lamp when this guy on Ebay will sell me a dozen for that price? So folks would by them, plug them in an post a review "They work great" very few would come back days, weeks or longer and say "I got ripped off". Nowadays there a lot more resources for getting the information on who's making them, independent testing, etc.

JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #22
CrazyCain

Not to highjack the thread, but some say "Clearence lights, other say Running lights. Is this a north/south/ east coast/ west cost type of thing?? You
know, like POP vs SODA! :non ono:

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
Not to highjack the thread, but some say "Clearence lights, other say Running lights. Is this a north/south/ east coast/ west cost type of thing?? You
know, like POP vs SODA! :non ono:
Not at all, it's more like a sub vs a hoagie!
I think it's totally interchangeable not including "daytime running lights". I think of clearance lights vas the the red and amber lights that the DOT require with the number and placement dictated on the dimensions of the vehicle.

One other term that depending on your age one might recognize or not and that's the "parking lights". Rarely referred to these days.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #24
Ken / Claudia

DOT has a name for each placement of a light, but slang works for most. More important is what DOT says about location colors. Red always rear unless its is a turn signal those can be amber and back ups white. Headlights white, all other lights must be amber and no other color. Guys around here are putting on clear cab clearance lights which is illegal. Some put blue or green on front in the newer LED headlights that's also illegal.
In my experience most get a warning, but its PC to stop Comm Trucks and conduct a full roadside inspection.
I forgot red can be on the sides only close to the rear. There is XX inches away from rear allowed, I cannot remember that distance rule.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
I understand about fitting in the enclosure. Please explain why White lights are not suitable under the colored lenses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I am interested in this reasoning as well. Any vehicle I have ever owned with factory LED lights (or any light for that matter), whether car, truck, motorcycle or RV has had white light behind a colored lens, except where the lens itself was clear in which case the bulb or LED was colored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This may help.
https://betterautomotivelighting.com...-should-i-use/

Today's leds do a better job of displaying a fuller spectrum of light than just a few years ago but are still not up to the incandescents.

Hopefully Marshall's link answered your questions??? It's more a "light spectrum difference" between LED's and Incandescent light output".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #26
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Not at all, it's more like a sub vs a hoagie!
I think it's totally interchangeable not including "daytime running lights". I think of clearance lights vas the the red and amber lights that the DOT require with the number and placement dictated on the dimensions of the vehicle.

One other term that depending on your age one might recognize or not and that's the "parking lights". Rarely referred to these days.

Wow, have not heard that in some time!!!! Thanks for the insight

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:44 AM   #27
Casemaker

Have yet to get battery load tested. All lighting on camper is LED.
Casemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:02 AM   #28
skids

I have struggled with LED assemblies behind stock lenses on my motorcycle because they are so directional with the emitted light. For marker lights or tail lights (especially) on an RV I would not just buy the bulbs to use behind the stock lens. Also, white LEDs can look white even when shinning through a colored lens.

Tags
converter