Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
cavediver

TSD Logistics Fuel Program

Has anyone used the TDS logistics fuel program? They seem to have a sizeable diesel fuel discount at places like Love's, Petro, and other big dealer's.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Few (probably NO) things in life are "free".

From what I've learned about the TSD fuel discount program, there are some "considerations" that make it OK for some, not OK for others.

Consider that it's only available at "commercial fuel outlets" (truck stops, commercial refueling centers, etc).

Typcially, the "per gallon price" of diesel at those outlets is significantly more expensive than the "Exxon station" across the street. As an example, Love's truck stop near here is $3.599/gallon for diesel, WalMart is $2.969 (with a 3 cent discount if you use a prepaid WalMart card, it's $2.939/gallon. That means WalMart is 66 cents a gallon cheaper than Love's...

If the TSD discount is 50 cents a gallon and they charge you a 10% fee, then the actual "cost to you" is 3.599-.50+.05= 3.149/gallon. That's still 21 cents/gallon MORE than WalMart.

This type "program" works for truckers. You simply can't get an 18 wheeler with a 53' trailer into the diesel pumps at WalMart or at the local Exxon station. This type "discount program" is targeted for "LARGE vehicles" and needs volume purchases to be effective. They are opening it up for RV'ers to increase that volume. I'd suspect it's a great program for those with large vehicles that can't access "tightly located pumps" but an expensive option for those who can fuel their pickup at the local "cheaper price/gallon" station.

So, look at the "fine print" on the TSD program. It may work for some, not so much for others.....

I always say, "The BIG print giveth and the small print taketh away." READ THE SMALL PRINT !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
Canonman

Always wondered why the Flying J, Pilot and Love's diesel prices were so much higher than the other stations. I just figured they had a captive audience with the truckers. I try and use Gas Buddy to get around the excessive diesel costs at the freeway truck stops. We've had some interesting adventures getting the Cougar in and out of several of these "local" stations. So far no mishaps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-8154-2.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	24232  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
Customer1

I signed up a couple weeks ago and got my card earlier this week. I haven't used it yet.

My primary focus is NOT the discount. I already have a credit card that gives me a 4% reward at any station. At a price of $3 per gallon that is a savings of 12 cents on each gallon. I'm also a life member of Good Sam which saves me another 8 cents at Pilot/Flying J. Both combined is 20 cents per gallon.

What I wanted is the convenience of a fleet card. I can pull up to the truck pumps, swipe my card, fill and git. Easy peasy. Previously I had to pull up to the pump, take a hike inside with my credit card, walk back to the truck, pump fuel, pull forward clear of the pump, take that long hike back into the station, sign my sales slip, walk back to the truck and finally leave. Convenience is the goal, the discount is a bonus.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It's my understanding they want your banking account information (so they can deduct the charges as they occur AND the part that concerns me most, they want your SSAN. They say it's so they can pursue collections in the event of a banking problem.... Maybe it's completely legitimate ??

If I were to make an application, I think I'd establish a separate account at my bank and only keep an appropriate amount of money in that account. My biggest concern, though, is giving a "discount card" my financial info and SSAN..... Maybe I'm just too cautious? Maybe not... IDK...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:20 AM   #6
cavediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's my understanding they want your banking account information (so they can deduct the charges as they occur AND the part that concerns me most, they want your SSAN. They say it's so they can pursue collections in the event of a banking problem.... Maybe it's completely legitimate ??

If I were to make an application, I think I'd establish a separate account at my bank and only keep an appropriate amount of money in that account. My biggest concern, though, is giving a "discount card" my financial info and SSAN..... Maybe I'm just too cautious? Maybe not... IDK...
These are my concerns also. That's why I started this post. I can carry 62 gallons of fuel, the large stops are a convenience, but I usually can find fuel much cheaper. Along I-75 in Chattanooga exit 11 has the cheapest fuel I've seen.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
Customer1

It isn't complicated, it is a debit card. Betcha you all have a debit card already and I'll bet you gave the issuer your SS number.

Since you all are smart people, proven by the fact that you are RVers, you froze your credit years ago. Right? My credit has been frozen for years, even I can't get a loan unless I thaw my credit first so my SS number is worthless to anyone.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:52 AM   #8
brlr2000

I always get 5% Discount when using Credit Card, so the Program savings would have to exceed 5% since you would be using cash. If I purchase at Flying J, I also get 8 cents off per gallon. At $3 a gallon, that's about a 7.5% discount (about $2.77 gallon). Does anyone know if you typically save more that .25 or .35 cents per gallon. If not, I don't think it's worth the effort.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
K_N_L

Thumbs up TSD works...

Here is my real world experience using TSD on my 2500 mile round trip to the Keys this month. I re-fueled 13 times start to finish, 4 times were either at off name or rv lanes (which had no discount), so 9 times there was a discount received. The costs below include the TSD 10% fee. The discounts were at either Loves or Pilot /FJ.

Total trip:
Gal. Purchased- 274
Fuel cost - $672
Avg Gal. cost - $2.45

When i exclude the non discounted stops, this is a better estimate of the TSD savings.
Gal Purchased - 195
Fuel Cost - $467
Avg Gal. Cost - $2.39

If I add back the discounted amount to the average cost - the average retail price was $2.93

I saved about $115 - could have been more had I picked better stops. I keep my TSD card for now. The actual card is provided by EFS payment solutions which handles fuel and OTR for many companies , TSD is their 'customer'.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:47 AM   #10
jsm180

The best price with the TSD is at Loves, Pilot/FJ is a little higher. My local Loves retail price today is $2.78, with the TSD card it is $2.19. The Pilot/FJ discounted prices range from $2.21-$2.29
Old 02-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
larryflew

I check gas buddy b4 stopping and trip from MN to MS to TX to AZ only 1 time was a gas buddy price cheaper than the Loves with discount. Just wish you could use at pumps other than truck lanes.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:00 AM   #12
SummitPond

Pilot Flying J issues official statement on diesel discount debacle

FYI, a statement on RV Travel about the end of the TSD fuel discount program at Flying J/Pilot. This does not affect Love's.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #13
larryflew

TSD program updates:

TA/petro has given us new pricing and you will start to see them being the lowest price on your app. You might consider looking for TA's and Petro's instead of Loves. We are working on some of the smaller chains as well.

Kwik Trip now offers 10 cents discount which in our case puts them 10 cents below anyone local since they all seem to be at the same price.

Loves has been our goto on freeway trips but both of these news from today blurbs will change our local and trip purchases.

the current discount network is TA, Petro, Loves, Road Ranger, SAAP Brothers, Ambest, Kwik Trip and Kwik Star.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #14
cavediver

Well I went ahead and got the card. On a trip from northern Ohio to the Florida Keys we saved about 30 percent. We paid between 1.41 to 1.61 per gallon, pump prices ran from 2.23 to2.59. One place in southern Florida I only saved 3 cents per gallon. I don't know if that's the norm, we thought that's better then the 5% on our credit card. Your mileage may vary. I'm not connected to TSD in any way. You have to use the truck pumps and enter your code number. The major problem is that you are limited to 900 gallons a day.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #15
larryflew

Update on TSD EFS and Kwik Trip. They are WAY behind on updating their pumps so you have to pay inside to get your discount. Trying it at the pump will tell you it isn't recognised.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #16
Whitewolf

I'm going to resurrect this old post. I agree with K_N_L, I believe TSD is a good thing. I actually carry both the TSD card and the Gas Buddy card that I pay $10 a month for. If you pay the higher Gas Buddy fee, you get a better discount.

If I'm traveling along the Interstate, I use TSD at truck stops. If I don't need fuel until we're unhooked, I use Gas Buddy. If there's a truck stop near that has better prices than Gas Buddy, I use TSD.

TSD recently upgraded their app called Open Roads. When you open the app the first thing that pops up is 'Your Best Fuel Option', the truck stop name, where it's at and the price. Of course you might not be going in that direction as the app doesn't know what direction you're going.

When you open the map, it gives you prices in a 150 mile radius. Figure which way your going and start looking at prices. The prices you see are the discounted prices. Tap on the price you like and it tells you the name and address and the option for directions. It also tells you the pump price, discount price and the transaction fee.

Here's a screenshot of my transaction. I only wish I needed more that 16 gallons at the time. Sometimes the discount is more and sometimes less. That's one of the nice features of using the map.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1032.PNG
Views:	197
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	31436  

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:12 PM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

In Delaware, in order to get a temporary fishing license for fishing off the jetty on vacation,you need your SS number.
It seems crazy to me that you are expected to give your name ,address and SS number to someone at the counter of a little tackle shop. You have no idea if the person taking the info has a criminal record or not.
That is a law that has probably been in place forever and not challenged. Probably don’t need all that info to vote though
Old 01-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Many years ago I went to a doctor's office for an IME (Independent Medical Examination) due to a work injury. The receptionist asked me for my SS#. I asked why and she replied "it's how we track you". Not me honey, figure out a different method. Years ago a lot of entities used your SS number as an ID number. Bad idea then, worse idea now.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:30 PM   #19
JDDilly

I have had the card for about a year with no issues. I use my regular bank account, but I never keep much money in there. I move money as needed because a few years ago I used my debit card at a restaurant while traveling. Within 5 hours there we over $1000 charged online to my card.

I have no concern with the TSD card.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #20
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Many years ago I went to a doctor's office for an IME (Independent Medical Examination) due to a work injury. The receptionist asked me for my SS#. I asked why and she replied "it's how we track you". Not me honey, figure out a different method. Years ago a lot of entities used your SS number as an ID number. Bad idea then, worse idea now.
Doctor’s offices here in MN still routinely try to get your SSN. I just leave it blank or tell them no.

When we first moved to Montana in 1998, I went in to get a drivers license. The default drivers license number was your SSN. I was dumb-founded. At least if you asked, they would give you a different number, but I couldn’t believe even then they used your SSN on your license. Luckily, they changed that in the state law a couple of years later.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel