Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Maxxis/Endurance/Carlisle/Sailun

OK, OK...I know this has been beaten to death ad infinitum but maybe a little twist.

I am buying a new HC. It comes equipped with Ranier 235/80 16 LRF. I don't want Raniers or LRF. I am going to have the OEM tires pulled but a thought has been bugging me. I tried upgrading to Maxxis on the current trailer only to find that no one in my part of the country carries them in stock....they are "special order" so went with the Carlisle HD which seemed to be available nearly everywhere.

Going to the larger tire seems the availability of various brands is even more restricted. Looks like 1 dealer in W TX where I go has the Sailun. DT has Carlisle. My question is for those that run that size of tire....what seems more available around the country as you travel? I'm thinking I'll get Sailun but figure that might be a no go in the event of a problem. I'm thinking Carlisle will be more available but in that size maybe not. I'm not a fan of buying "something else" to get by in the event of a failure but can. Just would like to be able to replace what I have with what I have. Any thoughts or experiences?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
Roscommon48

for the most part the montana owners have figured out to go with the good year g614 or saliun. if either one works I'd go with either of these. good luck
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:30 PM   #3
tech740

I have been looking at Carlisle CSL16. They are a short wait at most Wal-Marts. Not that i like that store but they are everyplace. I think when you get outside the 10 ply tires you will have a hard time finding them until more of the industry goes to these. The 12 and 14 ply tires seem to have become more popular with the revised safety factors in the last year or so. Hopefully in the next 3 to 5 years as people are starting to replace them they will be easier to find in stock.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks. Having had one disintegrate on the road I am hoping to pick what would be considered a "superior" brand with availability on the road. That may or may not be a possibility but was hoping to minimize on road aggravation/hunting for a replacement tire. I know DT carries Carlisle, or can get them, quickly. Sailun and Endurance are not so available from what I see. Just putting out a feeler for any thoughts on availability vs what's the "best" as one sees it. I will order the replacements and can/will replace failures with "whatever" but would prefer having the greater availability....if that is a possibility.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
OK, OK...I know this has been beaten to death ad infinitum but maybe a little twist.

I am buying a new HC. It comes equipped with Ranier 235/80 16 LRF. I don't want Raniers or LRF. I am going to have the OEM tires pulled but a thought has been bugging me. I tried upgrading to Maxxis on the current trailer only to find that no one in my part of the country carries them in stock....they are "special order" so went with the Carlisle HD which seemed to be available nearly everywhere.

Going to the larger tire seems the availability of various brands is even more restricted. Looks like 1 dealer in W TX where I go has the Sailun. DT has Carlisle. My question is for those that run that size of tire....what seems more available around the country as you travel? I'm thinking I'll get Sailun but figure that might be a no go in the event of a problem. I'm thinking Carlisle will be more available but in that size maybe not. I'm not a fan of buying "something else" to get by in the event of a failure but can. Just would like to be able to replace what I have with what I have. Any thoughts or experiences?
To go from a LRF to a LRG in that designated size (ST235/80R16) you're going to find, almost exclusively, steel cased tires. In the name brands you mentioned the new Carlisle CSL will most likely be the easiest one to find at places that retail them. Other brands like Sailun are mostly found in the mail order system. Maxis, another brand you named does not yet build a LRG RV trailer tire.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl16/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
To go from a LRF to a LRG in that designated size (ST235/80R16) you're going to find, almost exclusively, steel cased tires. In the name brands you mentioned the new Carlisle CSL will most likely be the easiest one to find at places that retail them. Other brands like Sailun are mostly found in the mail order system. Maxis, another brand you named does not yet build a LRG RV trailer tire.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl16/

Thanks, I think you're probably right. Although a dealer close to us has the Sailun "available overnight" I doubt that will be the case everywhere. I've not researched the Maxxis (order in 3-5 days) or GY Endurance enough to know what's out there because no one has them on hand in my part of the country. The Carlisle tires are in stock and I see the advertisements for them on tire shops everywhere I go so I'm thinking that may be the route to go as I've had very good luck with the ones I currently have.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
ChuckS

I’d be putting on a set of Sailun S637 tires and nit be worried about availability in the area... the tire if maintained properly and towed and reasonable speeds will be on the road for many years.

I currently run a set of Geo Star 235x85/16 G rated because that’s what local Les Schwab had. Starting my 5th season and I’ll replace with Sailun when the time comes because it’s less expensive.. Les Schwab will mount and balance at reasonable cost

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #8
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I’d be putting on a set of Sailun S637 tires and nit be worried about availability in the area... the tire if maintained properly and towed and reasonable speeds will be on the road for many years.

I currently run a set of Geo Star 235x85/16 G rated because that’s what local Les Schwab had. Starting my 5th season and I’ll replace with Sailun when the time comes because it’s less expensive.. Les Schwab will mount and balance at reasonable cost
I’ve started to buy tires off eBay and take them to a small local tire store. Les Schwabs has fallen off and now up for sale.

I know the Schwab guys too well having worked there years ago and got tired of being worked over on price and taking “non” Schwab tires in for mounting. Last trailer I bought Maxxis off eBay and saved almost $300 from what Schwabs wanted for the same tires. Ok sorry but I’m sorry their “sales and service” just are not there anymore.

It’s been hard. I feel like I’m cheating on an old friend having bought from them for almost 30 years.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:52 AM   #9
Vet4jdc

Sourdough, I had the exact same problem when our MHC came with Rainier tires. I knew I didn't want those after having a blowout several years ago so I ditched them and purchased 5 new Sailuns. Yes....get the spare too and then no worries if you have a failure.

Once I saw and felt the weight difference between Endurance, Rainier, Carlisle, etc and the Sailun....I knew I made a good choice.

Just my 2 cents.

btw....when I say "ditched"...I actually sold the Rainiers on craigslist to a guy with a utility trailer with 16" rims.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:39 AM   #10
gearhead

My memory isn't what it used to be, but it seems I got some "push back" from DT about Carlisle tires. I know I bought at least 1 set from them. At one time I had them on the HC, 2 utility trailers, and a 2 axle boat trailer. The ones that didn't come from DT came from WalMart. I don't remember the DT issue with Carlisle but I would contact them and double check their availability. May have been an issue with them matching the WalMart price.
Our Landmark came with Sailun and I'm happy with them.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Strangely, and this may be of some benefit to others depending on where you live, I talked to the manager of one of the local tire warehouses in Lubbock, TX yesterday. It was showing they had the Sailun tires. In visiting he told me that his store had been purchased by a tire chain I had never heard of - Mavis Tires. He also said they had SIXTY THREE of the Sailuns I wanted for the trailer. He implied they were either in Lubbock or Amarillo (2 hrs. away). I googled Mavis Tire and man, they have a lot of stores. Nothing out West it appears but they are all over the SE, E and NE including right in Tallahassee near where we stay.

Bad thing is he said they don't carry steel stems so will have to find those and take them to him I guess. Don't know if that is just his store or all their stores. So for those looking for Sailuns they might be a resource if in your area.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
CaptnJohn

Just get the tire with the best rep ~~~ Sailun

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #13
msubobcats

Very afraid of the 15s that are on our new Mesa Ridge 5th wheel, think they are Castle Rock brand, so will be replacing fairly soon. Checked with our local walmart for Carlisles and was told they don't carry them. But our local Discount Tire has the Goodyear and liked them the very short time I had them on our last 5th wheel..
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:24 AM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Walmart doesn't keep Carlisles in stock but will order them for pick up at the store. No cost on the shipping.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
Very afraid of the 15s that are on our new Mesa Ridge 5th wheel, think they are Castle Rock brand, so will be replacing fairly soon. Checked with our local walmart for Carlisles and was told they don't carry them. But our local Discount Tire has the Goodyear and liked them the very short time I had them on our last 5th wheel..
The "WalMart tire center DUDE" that you talked to wasn't really interested in helping you get what you want... (hourly employee with no motivation to increase sales) ???

Anyway, go to this link, you can order Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires from the WalMart. Around here, nobody can beat the WalMart pricing. https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/55012166

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #16
ncstan

Just ordered 4 Sailun tires and got here in two days from SimpleTire on Ebay. Amazon has Sailun also with Prime shipping.

2011 Raptor 300mp
2007 Harley F250 6.0 diesel
2008 Yamaha waverunners
ncstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #17
PKraus29

I ran my stock G rated tires for 3 years, no issues when I replaced them I went with Master track, again G-rated. I have used these on my boat trailer for years and never had an issue. They have been on my Raptor now for a year no issue. I highly recommend upgrading to a G rated Tire if you can. Many guys out here in the west do like the Sailuns which are available through Walmart. The problem I had was Walmart would not install them.

My local tire shop would not carry Carlisle's as to their reputation
PKraus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #18
River Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Walmart doesn't keep Carlisles in stock but will order them for pick up at the store. No cost on the shipping.
This is how I bought mine one year ago. They also mounted and balanced them at no cost
River Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #19
Cougar Jim

Perhaps someone can answer this -----I was told that Goodyear Endurance trailer tires are also made in China. Is that true?

TIA
Cougar Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Jim View Post
Perhaps someone can answer this -----I was told that Goodyear Endurance trailer tires are also made in China. Is that true?

TIA

This is a little dated but from Goodyear:

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US...iler_tire.html

I do believe I've heard in the recent past something about them having moved production, or some of it, to China but have read nothing definitive to prove that.