Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2020, 03:37 AM   #21
notanlines

Chris, your comment "one cord melted into a gooey mess" bears some discussion. I believe if that were literally true that the power load would be well-exceeding the amp/voltage rating for the cord. We have had 30 amp and a number of 50 amp RV's, but have never had a power cord heat up, much less overheat even on 100 degree days with both AC's cooking. Power cords on 5th-wheels and others are simply pulled out the required distance and no more thought given to it. We have camped absolutely adjacent to power poles where the cord is only pulled four feet, and no heat build up.
The situations of which you speak need some investigation.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:27 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with Jim on this. If a properly sized (correct wire size), properly protected (fused/circuit breaker) "melts" then there is a serious defect. A properly sized cable, with the proper insulation rating, should never create that much heat while running at the rated voltage and amperage.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:40 AM   #23
Frank G

Do a quick search on how heat affects the current carrying capacity of conductors., Be prepared to put on your electrical engineering hat and NEC training. In short... All conductors under load produce heat and they must be able to dissipate this heat to there surrounding's, a coil in a tight enclosure might not be good.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Do a quick search on how heat affects the current carrying capacity of conductors., Be prepared to put on your electrical engineering hat and NEC training. In short... All conductors under load produce heat and they must be able to dissipate this heat to there surrounding's, a coil in a tight enclosure might not be good.
I'm not going to get into a engineering debate on thermodynamics. All cables have a temp rating. Most SOOW cable is rated above 90 deg c or 194 f. Many are rated up to 150 c or 302 f. So if you are going to make a generalized statement about cords melting how about some clarifications? Not theory, not "could be" but what kind of cable, what was the conditions, what exactly happened.

I've spent many years around all kinds of equipment connected via cable and quick disconnects from electric forklifts to overhead cranes, to large welders, to marinas where every boat on the dock is connected to shore power. I have never seen one "melt down" from being coiled or ambient heat.

I regards to coils I'm guessing your talking about "inductive" voltages. You would be hard pressed to wind up a multi conductor cable with 600v or even 300v (in the "junior" insulating class of SOOWJ) into a tight enough coil to get that effect.

Most cable meltdowns are from the improper sized, and improperly protected circuit. Example: Joe homeowner plugs his 1500 watt space heater into a lamp chord extension. The 15 Amp breaker may not trip before the lamp cord overheats. In an RV setting this potential exists if a 30 Amp camper is plugged into ab50 Amp service via a "dog bone". The main breaker in the camper should trip if the over amperage condition exist downstream of the breaker. However; if corroded connections or other fault in between the 30a breaker and the 50 a breaker that causes heat (usually in the plugs) then you can get heat damage from arcing. Melting cable from ambient heat alone? Sorry, but I don't believe it.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #25
CampNBrew2

In hindsight, I should have clarified- the cords I have seen melted were long extension cords for home or commercial use, not RV power cabling. Coiled tightly or stacked many layers deep on a reel, they could not give up the heat and melted. I'll also agree that they were probably used improperly
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Thanks for the clarification. Overloading of extension cords is a very common occurrence. Folks don't realize that 100' long 14 gauge extension cord will not carry 15 amps.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #27
GASMAN6674

Here is what i did in my current rig. I always fully remove the 50 amp cord when i use it. I am hoping that i will be able to use it in our new Cougar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REELS V2-2.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	24993  
2015 F350 CC Dually 4:30 & 6.2L
GASMAN6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #28
notanlines

Thanks for the clarification, Chris.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #29
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm not going to get into a engineering debate on thermodynamics. All cables have a temp rating. Most SOOW cable is rated above 90 deg c or 194 f. Many are rated up to 150 c or 302 f. So if you are going to make a generalized statement about cords melting how about some clarifications? Not theory, not "could be" but what kind of cable, what was the conditions, what exactly happened.

I've spent many years around all kinds of equipment connected via cable and quick disconnects from electric forklifts to overhead cranes, to large welders, to marinas where every boat on the dock is connected to shore power. I have never seen one "melt down" from being coiled or ambient heat.

I regards to coils I'm guessing your talking about "inductive" voltages. You would be hard pressed to wind up a multi conductor cable with 600v or even 300v (in the "junior" insulating class of SOOWJ) into a tight enough coil to get that effect.

Most cable meltdowns are from the improper sized, and improperly protected circuit. Example: Joe homeowner plugs his 1500 watt space heater into a lamp chord extension. The 15 Amp breaker may not trip before the lamp cord overheats. In an RV setting this potential exists if a 30 Amp camper is plugged into ab50 Amp service via a "dog bone". The main breaker in the camper should trip if the over amperage condition exist downstream of the breaker. However; if corroded connections or other fault in between the 30a breaker and the 50 a breaker that causes heat (usually in the plugs) then you can get heat damage from arcing. Melting cable from ambient heat alone? Sorry, but I don't believe it.
You never read a word I wrote, much less understand it.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
You never read a word I wrote, much less understand it.
ok, then please educate me

Tags
power