Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #21
Pathfinder75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post
Hi,
We are residents of Oregon and have Oregon Class C DLs.

In Oregon, in so far as we understand RV's for personal use are permitted without restriction on our DL's.

Jan
copied from Oregon DOT - CLASS C - You may drive any single vehicle, not more than 26,000 pounds, that is exempt from commercial driver license or motorcycle endorsement requirements.
You may tow a trailer up to 10,000 pounds.
You may tow a trailer more than 10,000 pounds as long as the combined vehicle weight does not exceed 26,000 pounds.

The personal use without restriction means CDL not required. Class "C" in your case is limited to 26,000 GCW.
My State Patrol and Secretary of State offices both explained to me. Vehicles as Placarded for weight limit NOT Scale weight -EXAMPLE Truck GVWR of 14,000 and Trailer GVWR 14,500 = 28,500 GCWR so your over 26,000 GCWR and need a NON-CDL "A" license to cover the vehicles total labeled weight rating (not the scale weight.)
I was told its not what you weigh but what you can weigh.

I attached a copy of a license class flow chart the state police gave me as they agreed some officers may interpret the law differently. The time to dispute interpretation is not after you have an accident. Of course the CDL label does not apply to non-commercial use. Illinois and I have seen many other states have NON-CDL classes also.

Be sure what your state rules are in YOUR STATE. With a dual wheel truck (because of Gross weight rating) I was told to get a Non-CDL "A" class license where a single wheel axle truck (11,500) kept me under the 26,000 GVWR with my trailer {14,300)= in my case (25,800 GCWR) Close but under 26,000. Still thinking of getting a NON-CDL "A" but have to ask what happens to my CDL "B" thats my problem yet to be researched.

Good luck and I'm not trying to start a dispute only insure you ask your state the correct question. I got a couple answers at my License Office until we called the state CDL office that clarified what the state police officer told me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver License CLASS.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	24597  

Dave, Kathy & Golden Retrievers Tucker & Andi
2017 Montana HC 353RL - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Morryde Stepabove Steps STP-4-30-03H -
Kodiak 8-Lug 13" Premier Disc Brake Conversion Kit
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB - B&W Companion w/OEM Ford puck.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #22
Ken / Claudia

Dave you can get a CDL of any type you want, but read the exceptions for CDL #1 (Personal use recreational vehicles) or ask the trooper you talked with what is a RV and what is a personal use exception for CDLs. Best information will come from a state trooper who is a class #3 DOT inspector. I beleive there are 5 in Oregon. All other troopers are either not a rated DOT inspector or class #2. Most patrol troopers are class #2.

CDLs are a whole big different animal, but are only designed and meant for Comm vehicles and Comm vehicle drivers. Comm in this means discussion is "for Hire."

With RVs if your hired to transport any that fall into the 26,001 lbs or larger GVWR. You need a CDL, keep and follow log book rules if traveling more than 105 miles from home. If for hire and TV is 10,000 lbs or larger (just TV) up to 26,000 lbs it( the TV) needs a "Truck " license plate. TV must have a fire extinguisher inside and driver would need the correct CDL for the weight and or combo.
Edit; I was understanding everything in post # 21 is regarding Oregon and Dave talked to Oregon officials. My comments are taken from Oregon laws only.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #23
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder75 View Post
copied from Oregon DOT - CLASS C - You may drive any single vehicle, not more than 26,000 pounds, that is exempt from commercial driver license or motorcycle endorsement requirements.
You may tow a trailer more than 10,000 pounds as long as the combined vehicle weight does not exceed 26,000 pounds.

The personal use without restriction means CDL not required. Class "C" in your case is limited to 26,000 GCW.
My State Patrol and Secretary of State offices both explained to me. Vehicles as Placarded for weight limit NOT Scale weight -EXAMPLE Truck GVWR of 14,000 and Trailer GVWR 14,500 = 28,500 GCWR so your over 26,000 GCWR and need a NON-CDL "A" license to cover the vehicles total labeled weight rating (not the scale weight.)
I was told its not what you weigh but what you can weigh.

I attached a copy of a license class flow chart the state police gave me as they agreed some officers may interpret the law differently. The time to dispute interpretation is not after you have an accident. Of course the CDL label does not apply to non-commercial use. Illinois and I have seen many other states have NON-CDL classes also.

Be sure what your state rules are in YOUR STATE. With a dual wheel truck (because of Gross weight rating) I was told to get a Non-CDL "A" class license where a single wheel axle truck (11,500) kept me under the 26,000 GVWR with my trailer {14,300)= in my case (25,800 GCWR) Close but under 26,000. Still thinking of getting a NON-CDL "A" but have to ask what happens to my CDL "B" thats my problem yet to be researched.

Good luck and I'm not trying to start a dispute only insure you ask your state the correct question. I got a couple answers at my License Office until we called the state CDL office that clarified what the state police officer told me.
We beat this dead horse about once a year. I think I just saw him roll his eyes, so I'll take my turn beating him some more.
What Pathfinder quoted above is what the Texas law is, "as I understand" it. I've been saying I was going to get my Texas non commercial license for 3 years and haven't done it yet.
Practically speaking you may be OK without ever getting the license. Most likely no more than 5% of those needing the license have it.
But, and it's a big but, if you are involved in an accident, and the other party has a good lawyer, you may be at risk.
My New Years resolution...
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
We beat this dead horse about once a year. I think I just saw him roll his eyes, so I'll take my turn beating him some more.
What Pathfinder quoted above is what the Texas law is, "as I understand" it. I've been saying I was going to get my Texas non commercial license for 3 years and haven't done it yet.
Practically speaking you may be OK without ever getting the license. Most likely no more than 5% of those needing the license have it.
But, and it's a big but, if you are involved in an accident, and the other party has a good lawyer, you may be at risk.
My New Years resolution...
This has been cussed/discussed in Texas for many, many years!
Depending on who you ask or how they interpret the law is still anybody's guess.
I ask at the DMV the last time I renewed my DL, they said if towing my personal RV "NO" nothing special needed. I looked at the law & yes over 26k total, tv over 10k a Class A non commercial license was required followed by a list of exemptions, mostly concerning agriculture, the last one stating "if towing for personal use". So I ask a couple DPS troopers, same answer, NO not if it's your personal rv. Ask my insurance agent, his answer was "I don't know" but if it was my rv I was covered.
But to answer the OP, if you're legal in your home state you're good everywhere else, so hit the road & enjoy.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #25
Ken / Claudia

US DOT has books and books of Comm vehicle/Driver laws. The basic training to inspect Comm trucks is 80 hours, I know been there done that. If a inspector fails to return 30 class 2 level inspection every year there are De- certified.

I really hate DOT inspections, but it was part of the job. The laws are overwhelming. I was just in court on 12-12 over a speeding ticket due to driver has a CDL. They fight any ticket hard due to possible losing of their license/job.

A simple phone call to DMV should answer any DL/CDL questions even most are found on the web. This question is answered in the Oregon drivers training booklet page 64. And on the CDL exemptions flow chart in Oregon.

When you go to CDL laws those are all talking "for Hire" and it is confusing with all the wt.s etc listed.

To try and clear the 10,000lb trailer law. That is for a Comm trailer over 10,000lbs NOT an RV. Those are seen with a special Heavy trailer license plate They are all ways yellow and start with a H, HT, HV and are seen on smaller trailers that can carry a workers backhoe, or other equipment. Up including every trailer behind a semi. Vehicles pulling such trailer need to have a DOT PUC or TRUCK license.
RVs are issued an RV license plate (R) and also yellow and exempt from the above.
All information is Oregon current laws. Yes, it can be very confusing. Try enforcing all that stuff.
Edit; I was understanding post #21 was all about Oregon and Dave was using information from Oregon officials. I guess he spoke to a different state officials about a different states laws.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:21 AM   #26
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
And take bottled water! You will need a Mexican temp import permit for the RV:

https://www.mexpro.com/mexico/rv-veh...rt-permit.html

And even if you have any sort of carry permit, it won't work south of the border. You will end up in a Mexican jail. Mexicans are only allowed to carry firearms if they are in the United States...

Or if they are members of a cartel.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:15 AM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
US DOT has books and books of Comm vehicle/Driver laws. The basic training to inspect Comm trucks is 80 hours, I know been there done that. If a inspector fails to return 30 class 2 level inspection every year there are De- certified.

I really hate DOT inspections, but it was part of the job. The laws are overwhelming. I was just in court on 12-12 over a speeding ticket due to driver has a CDL. They fight any ticket hard due to possible losing of their license/job.

A simple phone call to DMV should answer any DL/CDL questions even most are found on the web. This question is answered in the Oregon drivers training booklet page 64. And on the CDL exemptions flow chart in Oregon.

When you go to CDL laws those are all talking "for Hire" and it is confusing with all the wt.s etc listed.

To try and clear the 10,000lb trailer law. That is for a Comm trailer over 10,000lbs NOT an RV. Those are seen with a special Heavy trailer license plate They are all ways yellow and start with a H, HT, HV and are seen on smaller trailers that can carry a workers backhoe, or other equipment. Up including every trailer behind a semi. Vehicles pulling such trailer need to have a DOT PUC or TRUCK license.
RVs are issued an RV license plate (R) and also yellow and exempt from the above.
All information is Oregon current laws. Yes, it can be very confusing. Try enforcing all that stuff.
Edit; I was understanding post #21 was all about Oregon and Dave was using information from Oregon officials. I guess he spoke to a different state officials about a different states laws.
Ken, I believe you are stating that no special endorsement is needed in Oregon even over 26,000#.
That is the answer I got when I reached out DMV/ODOT when we bought our 2016 Ram 3500 with a GVWR of 14,000# to tow a 5er with a GVWR of 12,300#. If I look back I believe I still have the email answer.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #28
Ken / Claudia

Yes, that is it at this time. DMV does not care what weight a personal use RV is and Oregon DOT will not either. Some state troopers may want to make sure the vehicle(s) are within their GVWR, GCWRs.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #29
Twisties

This is what ODOT has to say about it (Emphasis added):

"Class C

You may drive any single vehicle, not more than 26,000 pounds, that is exempt from commercial driver license or motorcycle endorsement requirements.
You may drive a moped.
You may drive an emergency vehicle (if you are a firefighter).
You may drive a recreational vehicle for personal use.
You may drive an autocycle."
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #30
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Yes, that is it at this time. DMV does not care what weight a personal use RV is and Oregon DOT will not either. Some state troopers may want to make sure the vehicle(s) are within their GVWR, GCWRs.
Quote:
This is what ODOT has to say about it (Emphasis added):

"Class C

You may drive any single vehicle, not more than 26,000 pounds, that is exempt from commercial driver license or motorcycle endorsement requirements.
You may drive a moped.
You may drive an emergency vehicle (if you are a firefighter).
You may drive a recreational vehicle for personal use.
You may drive an autocycle."
Twisties, if paid attention to Ken’s signature would understand he is a former Oregon State Police officer.
The line in the ODOT statement is ambiguous as it doesn’t mention a weight limit, which there is not there, and basically isn’t one.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #31
Twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Twisties, if paid attention to Ken’s signature would understand he is a former Oregon State Police officer.
The line in the ODOT statement is ambiguous as it doesn’t mention a weight limit, which there is not there, and basically isn’t one.
Yes, I agree with Ken.

There is no ambiguity. You can drive ANY vehicle under 26k lbs. So, the only way to interpret the line on RVs is that they are without weight restriction when driven for personal use, as I stated in the OP. The RV line is intended to expand the driving authorization to RV's greater than the 26k lbs weight limit. Otherwise there is absolutely no point to that line whatsoever, since you can already drive any vehicle under.

I just posted the list because there seemed to be some misinformation in a post above.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #32
Ken / Claudia

It is confusing because these statements normally print a mix Comm vehicles including Trucks and trailers with Non Comm Vehicles and trailers.
They keep putting wts listed because all Comm vehicles and trailers are charged differently by use and wt. including driver licenses. Quit doing that.

When it is printed "may operate a vehicle up to 26,000 on a Class C Driver license" That means, Driving(operating) a single vehicle that is up to 26,000 lbs wt. Not any combo of vehicles. None of our pickups wt. is near 26,000 lbs Even an f550 is about 17,000, I know I weighed them.

Than this is the MOST important, what is a RV?; It is any vehicle, that means trailer., camper, motorhome that is made to live in. Rvs are exempted from the 26,000 lb single vehicle wt or combo wt. They are exempted from any and ALL Comm vehicle laws. It is even stated in the Comm Licensing flow chart to avoid this confusion. RVs are NOT Comm vehicles or trailers period.
"Unless for hire"
So, a motorhome that is a single vehicle, that is for personal use can be 40,000 lbs (really any weight period) and driven on a class c as long as it is driven (Not for hire).

RV trailers are not restricted by Comm trailer wt. laws. Again they are exempt. Quit confusing Comm trailers with RV trailers.
So, as long as your pickup or truck is by itself under 26,000 lbs you can tow any wt of RV trailer on a class C. As long as (Not for hire).

What ever wt. a 5er and pickup combo weight is it is a RV combo. Unless and only unless the pickup by itself is 26,000 lbs in wt. A pickup is a passenger vehicle as long as "Not for hire". Note: I am leaving out 450s and larger it that statement. (Confusing, but 450s plus are trucks and need a different VEHICLE license in Oregon. Not a different driving license unless "For Hire."
Again this is related to Oregon.
The post#29 is right RVs are exempt, but mixed heavy Comm trailers with RVs trailers. Again confusing, until you know what is a RV and that they are ALL exempt in any form regarding a drivers license on Oregon roads. Unless "for Hire"
Old 12-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #33
Phil Saran

I have a 2019 Keystone Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel and a 2012 Ram 3500 4X4
diesel 4 door short bed. Hooked up I am at 50 feet total length.

You do not run into problems until you start reaching that magic 65 foot length.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #34
bsmith0404

Quote:
Hi,

What we are concerned with is what happens when we cross state lines? Do we need to meet the requirements of each jurisdiction we enter, or do our OR rules apply? What about Canada and Mexico

Jan
Mexico has never even checked my license when crossing the border. They have looked inside the RV, have verified the vin on the Harley, but that’s about it.

As mentioned by others, get Mexico insurance when going down there. Some insurance companies will cover you as long as you’re within 50 miles of the border, some do not. Aslo, shop around for the insurance. I typically pay about $250 for a week to cover the truck, RV, and Harley. We normally go down to Rocky Point for the bike run. Truck and RV would be about $170 for a week. Have never gone for more than a week so not sure if the rates are more reasonable for longer trips.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote