Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
LHaven

(Parked) Tire Covers

I have a set of parking covers (or perhaps protectors, if you go by what doesn't result in 95% bad hits in a web search) for my working tires that I bought many years ago. They're middling weight canvas, with a steel or fiberglass half hoop sewn into the rear channel hem that springs out for installation and then springs back in behind the tire to hold them on.

I went looking for these again to buy another set for my son, who just got his first RV. Nearly everything I found was vinyl of some sort and looked flimsy, and had negative comments on durability (some didn't even survive the original shipping). Even the ones that said they were canvas had review comments saying things like "these are in no way canvas, they're just cotton cloth." I couldn't find any that got high marks for durability, and too many that were susceptible to departure in gusts.

While engaged in this search, I suddenly recalled that the covers I liked so much had been an impulse purchase at Harbor Freight, of all places. But going to their website, I found comments such as:

Quote:
I bought some sets of canvas tire covers from harbor freight years ago and I am still using those. Since they were so good I decided to order some more recently. The new ones I got are no comparison to the old ones I have. The old ones are real light weight canvas with strong inner wire. The new ones I got are similar to a light weight burlap with very thin, easily bent wire in them. The new ones are no comparison to what HF used to sell.
Rather than just be depressed, I thought I'd survey the forum for recommendations for items that had worked for others. I should add that my son is going to be fulltiming in this RV, so durability is important. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
Tbos

I have a set of canvas ones that would never stay on. I now have some heavier vinyl covered fabric ones that include elastic across the top 1/3rd on the back. They also included elastic straps but I haven’t needed to use them. I bought them from Amazon. I can’t find their name now but they work well.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure about canvas covers with wires but we have a nice set of vinyl (Adco) covers we bought from Amazon 5+ years ago and they still look new. We use them about 6mos. out of the year so they have held up well and I am happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/ADCO-3963-Des...5328873&sr=8-2
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

My kiddo bought me a set of vinyl covers for Xmas a couple years ago plus one for my spare and they don't light sunlight and have cracked. The spare tends to collect water in heavy rains even with the opening downward. I couldn't recommend the vinyl.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
LHaven

Yeah, given that we're in hot, sunny Arizona, I'd prefer something non-plasticized if I can find something good.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Over 5 of the months in the RV are in FL and the other time in TX usually. Still look like new as I said; no cracks, still very flexible, new and shiny. I will say that all my tires have slides that extend out over them so the amount of sun they see directly is very small.

Note: DW just said if you had a sewing machine you could buy some material (burlap, canvas?), cut a pattern then make your own covers....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
ChuckS

I’ve been using a set of the white Abco covers for seven years now.. They get blasted with 100 degree plus and direct sun ... They have done well for 7 years and keep UV off the tires and repel water and snow. They also stay in place with 50 mph winds that frequent the valley area ...

They are pliable in 0 degree temps and I’d buy another set of these in a heartbeat

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

These are the ADCO covers that I've been using for about 10 years. Mine were bought before the new style (with bungee balls). Mine have two grommets at the bottom to run a bungee cord behind the tire to hold the cover in place. I've never used them and never lost a cover, so I'm not sure how strong the wind would need to be to blow one off a tire....

https://www.amazon.com/ADCO-3952-Whi...5409235&sr=8-3

They ain't cheap, but they are, IMHO, worth the extra to get something that works and lasts. I think they're the same (or similar) to the ones sourdough and ChuckS have described in their posts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #9
Laredo Tugger

I used a 10 ft. piece of corrugated fiberglass and 2 2x4s as covers while the trailer is in storage. Cut the material in half and attach 2x4s with screws on the bottom. I use Pcord to tie the top to the slide drive arm and (if I need or want) I can put a stake in the dirt and screw the cover down temporarily. It covers most of the tires from sun and rain and they are durable and cheap to make. I do not full time so I just roll these up and put them in my back yard when I use the trailer. I also park off the ground with the tires on concrete blocks.
RMc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191204_153125.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	24510  
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 AM   #10
Tireman9

What you get kind of depends on the type RV you have and tire size.

Class-A with flat sides can go with the flat mesh screen as offered by Shade Pro. I have measured tire temperature and even if they are black mesh they allow sufficient air flow to keep the tires at about ambient temperature

Smaller RV with 16" and smaller wheel size can go with the WHITE vinyl ones aas from ADDCO. As you can see in my post the tire temp only increased by a couple degrees.

No wire or straps needed for either of the above and BOTH provide the heat & UV protection as I covered in my blog.

I recommend against Black vinyl that hang on directly on your tires as they can act like an oven by retaining the heat.

UV protection is easy to understand and that is what most companies "sell" on but to extend your tire life it is more important to keep them as cool as possible.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I have a set of parking covers (or perhaps protectors, if you go by what doesn't result in 95% bad hits in a web search) for my working tires that I bought many years ago. They're middling weight canvas, with a steel or fiberglass half hoop sewn into the rear channel hem that springs out for installation and then springs back in behind the tire to hold them on.

I went looking for these again to buy another set for my son, who just got his first RV. Nearly everything I found was vinyl of some sort and looked flimsy, and had negative comments on durability (some didn't even survive the original shipping). Even the ones that said they were canvas had review comments saying things like "these are in no way canvas, they're just cotton cloth." I couldn't find any that got high marks for durability, and too many that were susceptible to departure in gusts.

While engaged in this search, I suddenly recalled that the covers I liked so much had been an impulse purchase at Harbor Freight, of all places. But going to their website, I found comments such as:

Rather than just be depressed, I thought I'd survey the forum for recommendations for items that had worked for others. I should add that my son is going to be fulltiming in this RV, so durability is important. Thanks.
I don't know what ours are called, but I just picked up the first thing I saw that fit. On our first trailer (bumper pull) they were 5 years old when we traded it. Our new trailer is a 5er and only 2 years old. The covers are like new and don't blow off. They are just a friction fit but for a specific size tire.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover