Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #61
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I gave you a warranty reference for those tires. Did you read it? It's not just a warranty. It contains information on the care and maintenance of those tires.
I did pull it up on my iPhone. It looked like ground pepper on a big ol' plate of grits. I'll have to wait till I'm someplace where I can use something with a bigger screen.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:19 AM   #62
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyphil View Post
I just read my last reply.

My typing stinks. Sounds like I need some writing lessons.
And, English is my first and only language.
It is abbreviated and to the point.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:41 AM   #63
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The only way you'll know for sure what your trailer, truck and rig weigh, and what weight is actually on the tires and king pin is to tow it across an accurate scale.
Sorry, just catching-up on this thread. Considering tow trailers, does changing the angle of the weight distributing hitch (assuming the scales are a bit of a hump) affect the weights on the axles. Would it be accurate?
Old 10-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #64
Ken / Claudia

My answer is opinion, maybe a little. I have never tested that nor read anyone who did. But would it matter again opinion, no unless your already over loaded. Way above that affecting tires is age, psi, just plain wt. of rv. Tires are not static unless parked. When in motion the load is being pushed down onto them and lifted off non stop. On a road crown 1 side might be pushed down more then the other. What about a pot hole and half of the tire tread maybe is dropped into it and pulled back out putting lots of extra pressure on a tiny part of the tire. I have witnessed trailers with single axle at highway speeds hitting bumps and I could see light under the tire. Think about that pressure as the load reconnects with the road. Bottom line tires get abused, buy good ones, inspect them offton.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #65
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Sorry, just catching-up on this thread. Considering tow trailers, does changing the angle of the weight distributing hitch (assuming the scales are a bit of a hump) affect the weights on the axles. Would it be accurate?
What scale are you using or considering that has "a bit of a Hump"? The CAT scales I've been to are flat and level.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #66
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What scale are you using or considering that has "a bit of a Hump"? The CAT scales I've been to are flat and level.
All I have ever seen were portable scales and they are not even with the ground. If “Cat scales” are at port of entry, I guess they would be flat. Come to think of it, the scales at the gravel pit are flat.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #67
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
All I have ever seen were portable scales and they are not even with the ground. If “Cat scales” are at port of entry, I guess they would be flat. Come to think of it, the scales at the gravel pit are flat.
Most scales at a gravel pit will be problematic to use for determining your weights as they only weight the entire vehicle and not individual axles. Most gravel pits, trash dumps, etc I'm familiar with weigh the truck full, and empty to get the tare and net weights.

The most common portable scales here in the "People's Republic of Maryland" are carried in the back of an Suv with flashing lights on the roof.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #68
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I suppose there are as many "old husband methods" of weighing a trailer as there are "old wives methods" of creating a recipe.... What the hell does that have to do with trailer weights ?????? I'll try to explain it the way I understand it.....

I'd guess that some "methods" (portable scales, using the bathroom scale, a 4x4 and a 2" pipe to lever the weight, etc) are significantly less relevant than other methods.... That said, EVERY CAT scale that I've seen is three platforms, aligned with "one way in/one way out" so you can't "off-center the rig". The pads are flat and level, and most any "novice user" can't make a mistake other than pulling too far forward or not pulling forward enough...

The "correct way to weigh a rig" (IMHO) is to drive onto the pads with the front tow vehicle axle on pad #1, the rear tow vehicle axle on pad #2 and the trailer axles on pad #3. Weigh the rig, DO NOT MOVE THE RIG, get out of the truck, loosen (but do not remove) the WD bars, get back in the tow vehicle, weigh the rig. Then pull off the scales, unhitch the truck (leave the WD bars in the hitch, return to the scale, front axle on pad#1, rear axle on pad #2 (try to approximate the same location on the pads if possible) STAY IN THE TRUCK and weigh the tow vehicle.

That will give you the total rig weight, the total trailer weight, the total tow vehicle weight, as well as the total weight being distributed by the WD hitch to the tow vehicle front/rear axles and the total weight of the rig "without" weight distribution. Using simple math, with this data, you can pretty much determine every applicable weight except for individual wheel location weights. You can't accomplish individual wheel weights on any CAT scale. Their company policy is to prohibit that type of weigh process.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #69
Ken / Claudia

The ODOT scales, here many are 1 plate. Still easy, when sitting in the booth you hit the red light after the front axle is on it. Truck stops, there's the axle wt.
With an RV/truck combo, get the front axle on the plate and stop, pull forward get both or only rear axle. Then RV checking axles. Stop when both are on the plate, write down number pull forward with only rear axle on plate. Write down axle wt.s and do some math, it's only adding or subtracting numbers. Come back with empty truck or unhooked truck and your done. If you can see a readout, the wt will jump up/down. Drive slow and after stopping write down the wt. when the numbers stop changing than move again. Want just left or right, if room just drive onto plate with right or left side on the plate. Check with the scale guy and ask him/her how they want it done.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:04 AM   #70
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Not saying this was your problem. I have used one of these for years and periodically tighten the valve itself into the stem. Can't tell you how many vehicles I have owned including RVs that had poorly seated valves.
You check the valve core seating with a soapy water test. I do not recommend periodic tightening the valve core seat — unless it leaks. But that’s just me.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:17 AM   #71
Roscommon48

Interesting that this thread was regarding tires and 'five years' when you should replace them to something totally different 4 pages later.

Bottom line, after 5 years seriously look at replacing your tires regardless.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #72
Tireman9

lose valve core

In 40 years as a tire engineer and my 27 years as a amateur and professional race car driver/owner I have never heard of a need to "re-tighten" valve cores on any regular or repeated basis.
This would cover everything from wheel barrow tires to Indianapolis tires.

Once a core is properly installed and tightened to spec ( 1.5 to 5 inch pounds) I see no reason for the core to work lose.

I did a post on my RV Tire Safety blog specifically on the question of valve and valve core leaks and how tight they should be. and how to be reasonably confident you are in spec even without an inch pound torque wrench. Did the post March 22
Old 11-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #73
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
Interesting that this thread was regarding tires and 'five years' when you should replace them to something totally different 4 pages later.

Bottom line, after 5 years seriously look at replacing your tires regardless.
I'm surprised after 70+ posts that we haven't gone to "the best cast iron pie recipe", favorite dog pics, or "my CO sensor keeps going off every time I share my burrito with my dog".

I agree with the 5 year mark as there is NO way to visualise any interior damages that may be occuring within the tire walls. Tires are a consumable and as a consumable that literally EVERYTHING is riding on. I don't think as such it's prudent to take the condition for granted and cheap out on what's most likely the smallest investment overtime that you'll make.

Tags
tires