Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
wtxdxer

Maxxis Blowout 6 yrs to the Day!

I had a blowout on a Maxxis M8008 225-75/15 LR E on my right rear on August 28, exactly 6 years from the date the tires were installed. Trailer is a 2012 Cougar Xlite 26SAB.

I had been thinking I should probably replace those tires this year. I'll be installing Goodyear Endurance next week.

I just removed the other 3 tires and was amazed that 2 of those 3 have tire separation. I'm now a believer that trailer tires should be replaced at a maximum of 5 years!

Below is a pic of the other 3 tires.

Regards,

Alan
Old 09-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #2
mcomeaux

Your asking a lot from your tires. These are performing under extreme conditions. I'm aware a lot of folks use the 5 yr rule but for peace of mind I wouldn't push a trailer tire more than 4 years tops. Every year of age a tire degrades a percentage. Someone posted a scale some time back on this conversation on tires. You definitely got your moneys worth in any case without damage hopefully.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

We all should be inspecting the RV tires as much as possible. Yearly or before any big trip. If you don't know how or don't have the time, pay a shop. Check for out of round, uneven wear, cuts, debris in the tread, bulging just to name a few. Just by removing a tire and rolling it by hand in the driveway will show most/not all defects.
Looking at them on a walk around is not enough.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxdxer View Post
I had a blowout on a Maxxis M8008 225-75/15 LR E on my right rear on August 28, exactly 6 years from the date the tires were installed. Trailer is a 2012 Cougar Xlite 26SAB.

I had been thinking I should probably replace those tires this year. I'll be installing Goodyear Endurance next week.

I just removed the other 3 tires and was amazed that 2 of those 3 have tire separation. I'm now a believer that trailer tires should be replaced at a maximum of 5 years!

Below is a pic of the other 3 tires.

Regards,

Alan
Great picture, I've added it to my tire picture files. It shows the growth of a tire in different stages of tread separation. Those with very little excess axle spacing will be able to spot that condition early on. Our axles are 32" center to center and I've spotted that condition numerous times over the years.

Maxxis ST tires have a 6 year warranty. Problem is, it starts from the date of manufacturer. So, how far past six years were they?

You should destroy those tires so some unsuspecting user of used tires doesn't get them. The amount of tread left could look inviting.

Probably the only thing you did wrong with those tires was using them beyond expectations. All tires degrade during their life cycles. Load is a big factor in their degrading. Even at a low 3% per year they may have dipped into being overloaded when the percentage of degrading was deducted from their maximum (new) load capacity.

Your Maxxis tires were speed rated at 65 MPH. At the five year mark that was probably down to 60 MPH or lower, causing degrading to accelerate.

After thought; do you still have those tires? There will be an explanation of materials listed on their sidewalls. Does it say they have a nylon ply/cap? They advertise the nylon as being on their new 15" tires. I'm wondering if they had already been doing so when yours were built.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote