Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
n0arp

Keystone Alpine 3731FB Refrigerator Model/ Space

We have a Keystone Alpine 3730FB that we are planning on converting to a residential refrigerator. The 3731FB is the same unit, but with this option.

I believe that the residential unit that comes in the 3731FB is the Samsung RF18HFENBSR, based on images, but would like to confirm if possible with anyone who has access to look.

I haven't pulled the existing Dometic RM1350 out yet, but believe we're going to be rather limited on space and will have to choose between that Samsung or another fridge of similar size, like the GE GYE18JSLSS, which has roughly the same dimensions but adds a water and ice dispenser. To make sure I'm covering all my bases and getting the largest fridge that will fit, I would greatly appreciate if anyone with access to a 3731FB could tell me how close the refrigerator is to the island when the slides are closed - is there any space left for a deeper fridge?

I know it's a long shot but thanks in advance to anyone who can provide this information.
n0arp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0arp View Post
We have a Keystone Alpine 3730FB that we are planning on converting to a residential refrigerator. The 3731FB is the same unit, but with this option.

I believe that the residential unit that comes in the 3731FB is the Samsung RF18HFENBSR, based on images, but would like to confirm if possible with anyone who has access to look.

I haven't pulled the existing Dometic RM1350 out yet, but believe we're going to be rather limited on space and will have to choose between that Samsung or another fridge of similar size, like the GE GYE18JSLSS, which has roughly the same dimensions but adds a water and ice dispenser. To make sure I'm covering all my bases and getting the largest fridge that will fit, I would greatly appreciate if anyone with access to a 3731FB could tell me how close the refrigerator is to the island when the slides are closed - is there any space left for a deeper fridge?
I know it's a long shot but thanks in advance to anyone who can provide this information.
Don't forget to consider a plan to get the new refrigerator inside the trailer. If I remember correctly, the biggest hurdle for those who have had problems with their domestic refrigerator is getting it removed from the RV so a warranty center will work on it. Most centers refuse to work on "RV installed units" and require they be removed for warranty service.

Members have reported that even with removing the refrigerator doors, there is "minimal clearance" or in some situations, not enough clearance unless the entry door is also removed from the RV. So, along with clearance in the space to install a domestic refrigerator, be sure to consider how to get your new refrigerator into the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
n0arp

Thanks. Our Alpine has a 30" entry door (according to the brochure, at least) so there should be sufficient space to get both fridges through. Trekwood lists the entry door as 30" x 76 1/4".

I still need to go to the storage lot and verify though.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
n0arp

Actual entry measurement is 28-1/8" x 74-1/2". The GE GYE18JSLSS is 24-1/8"with door removed and 68-5/8" tall. The Dometic RM1350 we are removing is 26-1/16" wide by 63-3/16" tall. Should be good to get both in and out of the RV.

Still not completely certain on fitment of the new fridge, but I'm sure I can make it work.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
kfxgreenie

Do you need ice and water out the door? If not consider the Whirlpool WRF540CWHZ, or the KitchenAid KRFC300ESS. Both the same fridge, the Whirlpool is fingerprint resistant where the Kitchenaid is regular SS. KitchenAid has a 5 Year Sealed system warranty, but you better be prepared to put it in your house if it would need service on that side of it.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
n0arp

I ended up ordering the GYE18JSLSS and should have it delivered on 07/02.

My wife and I are distance runners go through bulk packs of bottled water on our trips like you wouldn't believe. We really want refrigerator dispensing in the RV, which is what we use at the house. The GYE18JSLSS seems to be the only fridge on the market I can be sure will fit, based on my measurements and knowledge of what they've installed in the 3731FB.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
n0arp

I managed to get the new refrigerator installed this weekend. I still need to trim out above the refrigerator but it fits and travels well. I blocked the base of the fridge to keep it from moving forward and ran metal rails across the top of the refrigerator to keep it from tipping forward and lock it down so it can't move much at all.

I installed a Xantrex XM1000 inverter in the front basement and ran a couple runs of 14/3 to the main breaker panel. I'm using it to provide inverter power to the "General" circuit that the fridge happens to be on, using the built-in automatic transfer switch. If 120VAC is present, then it does not provide inverter power but rather passes through the source power. The input is on the output side of the genset ATS, so it will only provide inverter power when neither shore power or generator power are present.

I ran braided stainless line through the slide cable tray and into the island under the kitchen sink, where I teed off the cold side. I wrapped the exposed line in pipe insulation and ran it up into the slide through the tube that previously held the now-capped off propane line.

It's going to be nice having a proper refrigerator in the RV with ice maker and filtered water dispenser.

It's probably not the approach for everyone, but I decided rather than fill in the top to order a custom cellular shade that is cut to fit the area above the fridge. That way I can store large items like pots and pans up there and hide them using the shade. I'll move the bar I installed at the top of the cavity to the bottom, to act as a lip and keep them from sliding off the fridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	22713

Name:	IMG_0849.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	22714

Name:	IMG_0850.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	22715
Old 07-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0arp View Post
I managed to get the new refrigerator installed this weekend. I still need to trim out above the refrigerator but it fits and travels well. I blocked the base of the fridge to keep it from moving forward and ran metal rails across the top of the refrigerator to keep it from tipping forward and lock it down so it can't move much at all.

I installed a Xantrex XM1000 inverter in the front basement and ran a couple runs of 14/3 to the main breaker panel. I'm using it to provide inverter power to the "General" circuit that the fridge happens to be on, using the built-in automatic transfer switch. If 120VAC is present, then it does not provide inverter power but rather passes through the source power. The input is on the output side of the genset ATS, so it will only provide inverter power when neither shore power or generator power are present.

I ran braided stainless line through the slide cable tray and into the island under the kitchen sink, where I teed off the cold side. I wrapped the exposed line in pipe insulation and ran it up into the slide through the tube that previously held the now-capped off propane line.

It's going to be nice having a proper refrigerator in the RV with ice maker and filtered water dispenser.

It's probably not the approach for everyone, but I decided rather than fill in the top to order a custom cellular shade that is cut to fit the area above the fridge. That way I can store large items like pots and pans up there and hide them using the shade. I'll move the bar I installed at the top of the cavity to the bottom, to act as a lip and keep them from sliding off the fridge.

Attachment 22713

Attachment 22714

Attachment 22715
Nice job, looks very pro. We love our Res fridge, only downside is dry camping. We are slowly figuring out what we need to get extended stays.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, keystone, mod