Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
Shasta Bob

Auto leveling

Auto leveling ? auto level operation - slides in or out?
Shasta Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
wobly

I do it with the slide in. I want everything nice and stable to put the slide out. I also want the body of the trailer level for draining water, etc.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
xrated

Any and all slide rooms in before auto leveling!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Both ways it will work. We do them with slides in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #5
Old Mustanger

Trailer should be level before operating slides so IMHO if you are setting up, level up with slides still in and retract them before changing front height to hitch up.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Trailer should be level before operating slides so IMHO if you are setting up, level up with slides still in and retract them before changing front height to hitch up.
Yep.......
Old 03-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ count me in too.

The owner's manual (who ever reads that anyway) on page 35 says this:
"Camper Set Up
Once you have arrived and parked in your campsite, before removing the camper from your tow vehicle, your camper needs to be leveled to assure proper operation of certain features (refrigerator, slide-outs, etc.)"

And, on page 71:
"Before operating any slide-out:
1. The RV must have a fully charged RV battery (having the shore-line cord plugged in may NOT be enough).
2. Turn off all necessary lights and 12V components prior to extending/retracting.
3. The RV must be leveled and stabilizer jacks extended.
..."

So, maybe the question should be, "Do we need to level it when we put it into storage after a trip or only at the start of a camping trip, at the first campsite?"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
^^^ count me in too.

The owner's manual (who ever reads that anyway) on page 35 says this:

"Camper Set Up

Once you have arrived and parked in your campsite, before removing the camper from your tow vehicle, your camper needs to be leveled to assure proper operation of certain features (refrigerator, slide-outs, etc.)"

And, on page 71:

"Before operating any slide-out:

1. The RV must have a fully charged RV battery (having the shore-line cord plugged in may NOT be enough).

2. Turn off all necessary lights and 12V components prior to extending/retracting.

3. The RV must be leveled and stabilizer jacks extended.

..."

So, maybe the question should be, "Do we need to level it when we put it into storage after a trip or only at the start of a camping trip, at the first campsite?"
If going to leave the fridge running or open the slides while the trailer is in storage, I do level it... I just don't use the rear jacks.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:43 AM   #9
Roscommon48

keep it simple. slides IN. park, get off truck, push 'auto', when level put slides out.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:57 AM   #10
xrated

And it has been my experience with the BAL Accu slides (cable operated slides), they seem to be even more sensitive to being level. When mine was level, the slides worked very well, if not level.....nor so much.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
And it has been my experience with the BAL Accu slides (cable operated slides), they seem to be even more sensitive to being level. When mine was level, the slides worked very well, if not level.....nor so much.
Very true !!! The "cable operated slide systems" essentially "hang the slide by the cables" in the opening. If the trailer is level, the slide is centered in the opening, if the trailer is off level, the slide can "swing to the edge" and bind during use. It's a given that being level will eliminate many (maybe almost all) of the "binding, noisy, chattering" slide problems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #12
Salsaman1a

Great info on this thread. Slides in before leveling and the owners manual will keep you honest
Salsaman1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #13
Alpine

"Camper Set Up

I the case of a "fifth wheel"... you will need unhook from your TV before using the Lippert Auto Level system. And I do wait till level before bringing out the slide outs.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
"Camper Set Up

Once you have arrived and parked in your campsite, before removing the camper from your tow vehicle,
You may not be able to “level” the trailer front to back without unhooking. If you don’t have autolevel then making it level side to side using blocks or ramps is a good idea BEFORE unhooking.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #15
BAPotter

Just thinking, but I've never seen a trailer at the dealer with stabilizers/levelers extended, but the units on display all have the slides out. Guess close to level is good enough for them????
BAPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #16
TJTx

We always level with slides “in”. Here are a couple of tips that we have done that could be helpful.
1. You can set the zero point to whatever you want. Use a carpenters level as recommended with manual mode to get it exactly level. Once level to your satisfaction, you can raise the front ever-so slightly where it is almost imperceptible and set this as your zero point. This will help with water (rain and condensation) run off. If you don’t like this, no problem, zero it exactly level.
2. Be aware that the leveling jacks can settle for various reasons from bubbles in hydronic fluid to the softness of the ground. We minimize the latter by using large hush pads. This gives a better foot-print just like snow shoes. We also use them on asphalt as it is soft compared to concrete, especially during the summers here in Texas. With or without hushpads, check your level every so often and re- level as needed.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAPotter View Post
Just thinking, but I've never seen a trailer at the dealer with stabilizers/levelers extended, but the units on display all have the slides out. Guess close to level is good enough for them????
I've seen dealers moving rvs with their tractors/forklifts with all the slides out. I've put my slides out for years while stopped at rest areas for lunch without leveling or putting jacks/stabilizers down.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling