Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2021, 06:47 AM   #61
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, there you have it..... Nothing's changed and somebody else (Alpha Systems) said we didn't do anything wrong.......

Sort of reminds me of two "kids" that are wearing shoes that they outgrew....

One buys a new pair of shoes one size larger that fit comfortably and the other kid (yeah, the "red headed step child") shows up after school in "clown shoes"... You know, the ones that are clearly "beyond the pale"...

Keystone just showed up with clown shoes.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #62
wiredgeorge

How about that explanation? That was about the biggest load of BS I have heard in awhile and Keystone should be given an award to that one. I would keep an eye on the roof... if it is a walkable roof, perhaps not step on the billowing folds of Alpha roof material...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #63
flybouy
Site Team

I can just imagine the person that authored that explanation setting in a coffee shop loudly complaining because their Lotte doesn't have a "perfectly shaped heart" in the cream.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #64
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I can just imagine the person that authored that explanation setting in a coffee shop loudly complaining because their Lotte doesn't have a "perfectly shaped heart" in the cream.
That comment was inscrutable! I don't go in coffee shops but some explanin' needs to be done for us non-suffisticated folks out in the boonies.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #65
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
That comment was inscrutable! I don't go in coffee shops but some explanin' needs to be done for us non-suffisticated folks out in the boonies.
No problem. https://youtu.be/i4xTz_OwlSQ

Edit: George, when they talk about a " shot" they are refrencing cappuccino (srong coffee) and NOT a shot of whiskey. I personally prefer Irish coffee over lattes.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #66
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
No problem. https://youtu.be/i4xTz_OwlSQ

Edit: George, when they talk about a " shot" they are refrencing cappuccino (srong coffee) and NOT a shot of whiskey. I personally prefer Irish coffee over lattes.
You ain't a burrito are you? Isn't that young fella in the video a burrito. Now that is something for which I AM an expert! I don't believe I have ever been in a "coffee shop" type place except maybe the airport where you are forced to buy that miserable Starbucks stuff which tastes like reconstituted motor oil. I worked in the IT shop (before retirement #2) that owned Seattle's Best Coffee and it wasn't as bad but not by much. That is what was supplied to us worker bees. I drink Walmart breakfast blend and it suits me fine.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #67
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You ain't a burrito are you? Isn't that young fella in the video a burrito. Now that is something for which I AM an expert! I don't believe I have ever been in a "coffee shop" type place except maybe the airport where you are forced to buy that miserable Starbucks stuff which tastes like reconstituted motor oil. I worked in the IT shop (before retirement #2) that owned Seattle's Best Coffee and it wasn't as bad but not by much. That is what was supplied to us worker bees. I drink Walmart breakfast blend and it suits me fine.
Nope not a burrito but have been called a Burro before
Old 12-23-2021, 06:16 AM   #68
slider909

I've been tying to contact Alpha Systems to get their perspective on this, but the website listed in the keystone warranty information doesn't work, alphasystemsinc.com
Tried a web search and couldn't get any of the links to work.
slider909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:22 AM   #69
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider909 View Post
I've been tying to contact Alpha Systems to get their perspective on this, but the website listed in the keystone warranty information doesn't work, alphasystemsinc.com
Tried a web search and couldn't get any of the links to work.
This?

https://alphallc.us/products/roofing/
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #70
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You definitely need to address this with the dealer and I'd also send photos (dated and timed) to Keystone.

Your dealer will likely "minimize the problem" and you'll likely hear something along the lines of, "The roof is guaranteed for 12 years, so no need to worry". Your response to that should be something like, "Yes, the membrane has a pro-rated 12 year warranty, but installation and the underlaying roof structure has Keystone's 1 year warranty, after which it's on my dime, so I want it fixed."......

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question. 2018 27sabwe. We're in the NorCal foothills and just had a major rain come through. I had the slide open because we just returned from a trip. My wife went out and closed the slide. I went out to get something and found the floor wet. We opened the slide and discovered that water that was standing on the slide top was the cause. Also discovered two windows leaking. After clean up I got on the roof and found a 6" long tear in the slide roof about 2" from the outer edge of the slide. Horizontal with the seam. I noticed it once before while cleaning. It was blackish but not torn. I can't find documentation anywhere as to 12 year warranty but I remember that conversation at time of purchase. Also can't find anything on the Keystone website. Any help would be appreciated.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 02:54 PM   #71
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question. 2018 27sabwe. We're in the NorCal foothills and just had a major rain come through. I had the slide open because we just returned from a trip. My wife went out and closed the slide. I went out to get something and found the floor wet. We opened the slide and discovered that water that was standing on the slide top was the cause. Also discovered two windows leaking. After clean up I got on the roof and found a 6" long tear in the slide roof about 2" from the outer edge of the slide. Horizontal with the seam. I noticed it once before while cleaning. It was blackish but not torn. I can't find documentation anywhere as to 12 year warranty but I remember that conversation at time of purchase. Also can't find anything on the Keystone website. Any help would be appreciated.
You probably are "out of luck" with any warranty assistance. The membrane warranty does not cover problems with damage. It only covers "defective membrane problems". What you describe is probably an issue with the slide, when retracted for travel, vibrating against the slide seal aluminum mounts and the road vibration likely "wore a slit" in the membrane. That's a mechanical issue, probably caused by Keystone's installation of the slide and/or the slide being "out of adjustment" and riding too close to the seal extrusion. Adjustments are not covered by Keystone's warranty after the first 90 days.

That said, if there is something broken or worn on the structural components of the slide or the trailer sidewall structure (that caused the roof membrane to ride in contact with that component) then IF your trailer is still covered by the 3 year Keystone structural warranty, they may approve a repair... That's a LONG, LONG shot that probably won't get past the first denial in the Keystone warranty section, but might be worth a try, if your dealership can figure out that it was "keystone's fault".... I'd suspect the dealer is probably going to look at the roof, tell you it needs replacing and that it's not covered by either the Alpha System or the Keystone warranty programs....

For you, I'd suggest that you address the question, "What caused the damage" and get that repaired. No matter what you do to repair the roof membrane, if there's something "cutting it when towing the trailer" then the repair will not last very long before you're back where you are right now, with a dark stain on the membrane and the next time you check it, it's cut and leaking..... Fix the cause then fix the roof damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:19 AM   #72
slider909

The dealer has said they can't (won't) do anything, it's all on Keystone. Keystone won't respond to any of my emails anymore. All Keystone kept saying is, it's normal, you have a issue on record, there is nothing we are going to do. No, you can't escalate to anyone, no you can't talk to anyone. I haven't driven to the dealership, I've written them off as next to worthless. It took a month to get a email back and they never return a call.
So I was thinking. If these lifted areas over the wood decking seams are because of air pockets, why not open up one of the sides, where the gutter is and try to lift up the roofing just a bit and see if using a floor seam roller push the air out? Nothing to lose to try.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:34 AM   #73
chuckster57
Site Team

If you do that then you risk tearing the membrane trying to loosen enough to reach the bubbles. And the adhesive is most likely failed and you would have to put new roof glue at the lifted spots.

I’m sure your beyond frustrated, but you might make it worse by trying to fix it. Regular inspections and documentation are your best bets during warranty period.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:00 AM   #74
slider909

An update to the roof membrane issue, seems like the raised parts have deflated and the roof looks normal. Maybe what ever was causing the off gassing ( what I think caused it) has dissipated.

Tags
roof