Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2021, 05:43 AM   #1
billsr

Winterizing our RV

We have a 2018 27 ft.. Bullet Premier and have it winterized and dewinterized every year by RV dealers. I have thought about doing the procedures myself, but my Wife thinks it's better to have a dealer do it, because if something goes wrong it is up to them to fix it. Also, I am hesitant about doing the winterization because I don't want to mess something up. Am I being over cautious?
Old 11-13-2021, 06:29 AM   #2
Canonman

I think you are being a little overcautious Bill.
Winterizing is a pretty straightforward process. Further, the dealer's method is only as good as the person doing the work. I'd suspect that the young kid they have sweeping the service bays is likely the same kid they have doing the winterizing.
There are several YouTube videos on how to winterize but the process is pretty common.
Drain your tanks. Drain the hot water heater. Open the low point drains and open all the faucets and let that finish draining. Close everything up. You can run some air through the lines or pump some RV antifreeze through the system. That's it. Whole job can be done in under an hour.
You Can Do It!
Here's a short video:
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:34 AM   #3
dutchmensport

You can do it. Quit throwing your money away at something you are more than capable of doing yourself.

Do you really think your RV dealership / service center will stand up and take responsibility if a water line freezes and you find it broken the next spring? Oh, they will fix it, but now you'll be paying for a fat repair bill.

Do it yourself. You know it's done right that way.

I've always winterized my own, always.

This year, I winterized 3 more campers: A Class C motor home (new, first time winterizing), a 20 year old pull behind travel trailer (I still don't know what brand it was), and a T@B (tear drop trailer). And my own, a Montana Fifth Wheel.

They are all easy to do. That hardest part working with someone elses camper though, is locating the water pump. After that, they were all pretty easy. 30 minutes tops, and that was including the time to expose the water pump.

You can do it. Have confidence in yourself.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:42 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsr View Post
We have a 2018 27 ft.. Bullet Premier and have it winterized and dewinterized every year by RV dealers. I have thought about doing the procedures myself, but my Wife thinks it's better to have a dealer do it, because if something goes wrong it is up to them to fix it. Also, I am hesitant about doing the winterization because I don't want to mess something up. Am I being over cautious?
Without knowing your skills and comfort level with mechanical maintenance or repairs it's impossible to say. I know people that can't fill their windshield washer fluid in their cars, have no clue how to change a tire, and don't own a screwdriver. I wouldn’t recommend they do it. It's a pretty simple proceedure IF you are somewhat handy.

I'd suggest reading the posts here (there are many on the subject), watch the YouTube videos and see if it seems feasible to you. If you watch some videos and think "wow, that guy must be Merlin the magician " then maybe stick with the current plan. Bear in mind that videos of winterization tend to be generic, not specific to your trailer some interpretation may be required.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:52 AM   #5
dutchmensport

The person who never tries to do things himself, never learns how to do it and is forever dependent on someone else.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
The person who never tries to do things himself, never learns how to do it and is forever dependent on someone else.
I agree and that's my philosophy however... I have had several different experiences with a few people that just cannot get past putting gas in the tank. A buddy I grew up with, our DD ex husband, one of our neighbors to mention a few. These were not folks I didn’t know. These were people that helped for YEARS. When they asked for help I would offer my tools and walk then through it. I would not "just do it for them". Didn't matter, they are just incapable or unwilling to learn anything mechanical. This doesn’t make them anything other than who they are. Some folks simply cannot do what I do just like I may not be capable of doing what they do.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:07 AM   #7
travelin texans

Honestly the more you do yourself on any issue with a RV will only help you further down the road if something goes wrong.
The rv owner that must have someone else always do everything has their rv in the shop much more than at a campground. To be honest anyone that's not a bit of a handyman w/ tools isn't going to enjoy the rv experience watching it sit at the shop & should probably just not get into rving.
If you know righty tighty lefty loosey, own a few basic tools & know which end to hold do it yourself you'll have better knowledge of how it all works. If you don't have/know any of the above continue with the current plan. Remember HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #8
billsr

Thank you for the replies. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and do a lot of gunsmithing, have a metal lathe in the garage, and used to do most of my own mechanical work.
I'm 78 years old and have a handicap, as I need a cane or walker to get around. Have a very difficult time getting up if I have to lie on the ground to do something.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Typically drainibg the water lines and acessing the bypass valve on the water heater will require bending over and or lying on the ground andbor floor. Each model is different but usually they don’t put things in a convenient location. Do you have anyone that can lend a hand?
Old 11-14-2021, 05:29 AM   #10
skids

Quote:
(snip) I have thought about doing the procedures myself, but my Wife thinks it's better to have a dealer do it, because if something goes wrong it is up to them to fix it. (snip)
I would not bet on the dealer fixing problems caused from improper winterizing. They always have an "out."
Old 11-14-2021, 05:39 AM   #11
billsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Typically drainibg the water lines and acessing the bypass valve on the water heater will require bending over and or lying on the ground andbor floor. Each model is different but usually they don’t put things in a convenient location. Do you have anyone that can lend a hand?

My Wife would definitely help, but she had double knee replacement a few years ago and has trouble getting down and back up. We recently moved to a new home and she had to do most of the furniture moving with help from her daughter and my son and daughter.
Maybe we will try and do it ourselves, but I like the convenience of having a dealer take care of it.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
My Wife would definitely help, but she had double knee replacement a few years ago and has trouble getting down and back up. We recently moved to a new home and she had to do most of the furniture moving with help from her daughter and my son and daughter.
Maybe we will try and do it ourselves, but I like the convenience of having a dealer take care of it.
Sounds like a good decision. I'm only 67 yrs of age but my body acts like I'm 107. I've had by lower spine (L1-L3) crushed when I was in my 20's that let me know it now, A fall in the 1980's that has resulted in over a dozen surgeries (7 on my cervical spine) that have left me with chronic pain and numbness in my arms and hands. I have a garage full of tools and the knowledge to use them but I have to submit to the reality that some things just aren't worth the pain and recovery time anymore.

I just winterized the camper yesterday and am paying for it today. It turned cold here and was windy and began raining so not a great day to do it. I do things much slower, more deliberate, and compensate for the loss of function as much as possible. My DW is also disabled so I face the "do it and pay for it later or pay someone else to do it" dilema. I like doing things like this so I try and take my time and make it as painless as possible.

I wish you well.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #13
billsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Sounds like a good decision. I'm only 67 yrs of age but my body acts like I'm 107. I've had by lower spine (L1-L3) crushed when I was in my 20's that let me know it now, A fall in the 1980's that has resulted in over a dozen surgeries (7 on my cervical spine) that have left me with chronic pain and numbness in my arms and hands. I have a garage full of tools and the knowledge to use them but I have to submit to the reality that some things just aren't worth the pain and recovery time anymore.

I just winterized the camper yesterday and am paying for it today. It turned cold here and was windy and began raining so not a great day to do it. I do things much slower, more deliberate, and compensate for the loss of function as much as possible. My DW is also disabled so I face the "do it and pay for it later or pay someone else to do it" dilema. I like doing things like this so I try and take my time and make it as painless as possible.

I wish you well.

Thank you. I too have had several back surgeries and have a metal plate & screws in my lower spine, plus an artificial disc. I too have neuropathy and my feet are numb, plus my hands, apparently from surgery on myneck for a ruptured disc.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I do gunsmithing and use the lathe for some of the work. It's very difficult for me to stand at the lathe when using it. I do my best and don't normally complain, but this getting old is for the birds.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #14
dutchmensport

[QUOTE=billsr;476440....
Maybe we will try and do it ourselves, but I like the convenience of having a dealer take care of it.[/QUOTE]

You can always try to do it yourself, and if you find it too difficult, then you can still take it to a service center and have them do it (again). Nothing wrong with that. I'm 66+ years old and had 1 total knee replacement, and don't let anything stop me from trying to do anything myself first. Actually, it's not "mobility" that hurts me, it's when I sit and do nothing and don't move that knee when it gets stiff and hurts.

I still think you are more than able to do it yourself if you give it a try.

Tags
winter, winterizing