Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
Greg1780

5th Wheel Arm wont release

I have a 2021 Montana that I’m pulling with a 2021 Ram 2500 Diesel, with a Reese Model 30047 Hitch Rated 16000pounds, purchased April 2021.
Problem is the RELEASE LEVER is getting harder to release the trailer, yesterday it took 3 hours to release the hitch. I feel its a problem in the releasing mechanisms, any suggesting, I’m getting some spray Graphite hoping that helps.
Greg1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:58 AM   #2
travelin texans

Had a friend with the Reese & unless the rig was nearly perfectly inline with each other & not leaning side to side too much it was easily released otherwise it was next to impossible regardless of how much lubricant. He eventually replaced the hitch with a B&W, no more issues.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Try putting the landing gear in the ground, put a little pressure on the jacks. Then put the truck in reverse to take the pressure off the catch and try pulling the release handle.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Try putting the landing gear in the ground, put a little pressure on the jacks. Then put the truck in reverse to take the pressure off the catch and try pulling the release handle.
I would make sure someone is making a video of this so you can become famous on youtube!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Diver

Quote:
that's how I do it ...
with my 5er ...
and my 80,000 pound semi rig ...
its the proper way to unhook
Old 11-04-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
Essvar

Quote:

Agreed with the above, this is the correct way. Just as a note, when you go in reverse, NO THROTTLE just ease off the brake and release the pressure from the pin/catch.

As noted, you don't want to be YouTube famous in that way.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
JDDilly

I have a Reese and it is very low tolerance. I do what others have said, put in reverse and release the brake to take any pressure off. I think in the manual that came with mine, it said to lower jacks, put the TV in neutral and then set the emergency brake. Mine has never been like you have explained. Do you grease the joints like recommended?

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
Greg1780

Quote:

I tried that also,
Thanks
Old 11-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1780 View Post
I tried that also,
Thanks
Greg, are you lifting the pin clear of the hitch plate? If you are then you could be binding the bottom shoulder of the hitch pin on the bottom of the jaws.
Only lower the landing gear enough to take the some of the load off the hitch.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Greg, are you lifting the pin clear of the hitch plate? If you are then you could be binding the bottom shoulder of the hitch pin on the bottom of the jaws.
As soon as I see any gap between the pin box and horseshoe I start my unhooking routine, my hitch uses a bar across the back and it likes to bind if I have pressure on it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:27 PM   #11
Greg1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I did try, however I could not see the king pin lift off the hitch at all, like it was caught on something. Somewhere here I posted some photos of rubbing bare metal. Going to also try some graphite on the handle & internal mechanisms Saturday.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #12
Greg1780

Quote:
As soon as I see any gap between the pin box and horseshoe I start my unhooking routine, my hitch uses a bar across the back and it likes to bind if I have pressure on it.
I couldn’t raise the king pin up without up the truck bed, like it was caught up on something. Going to put some graphite on the release bar and internal mechanisms Saturday.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #13
Greg1780

Quote:
I couldn’t see any gap between the pin box and the horseshoe, it would lift up the truck instead. I did get out several times trying to move the truck back, forward, I also lifted the levelers up/down from front to rear of trailer.
Also, Ret LEO
Old 11-04-2021, 02:39 PM   #14
Essvar

Quote:
I couldn’t see any gap between the pin box and the horseshoe, it would lift up the truck instead. I did get out several times trying to move the truck back, forward, I also lifted the levelers up/down from front to rear of trailer.
Also, Ret LEO

Over the years I've helped probably a dozen owners with Curt hitches. They are hyper sensitive to any camber or angle of the truck or trailer. If this is still happening and you are directly inline with the trailer and the truck is on level ground I'm at a loss.

If it is within your means I would recommend a different hitch, B&W and Anderson are both much easier and more compliant when it comes to hitch and unhitch.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:10 PM   #15
Greg1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
I have a Reese and it is very low tolerance. I do what others have said, put in reverse and release the brake to take any pressure off. I think in the manual that came with mine, it said to lower jacks, put the TV in neutral and then set the emergency brake. Mine has never been like you have explained. Do you grease the joints like recommended?
I’m going to pickup some graphite and use it on the jaws and release arm Saturday. I figure the dealership didn’t sell me the best of hitches, I’m on a learning curve now.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:15 PM   #16
Greg1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
Over the years I've helped probably a dozen owners with Curt hitches. They are hyper sensitive to any camber or angle of the truck or trailer. If this is still happening and you are directly inline with the trailer and the truck is on level ground I'm at a loss.

If it is within your means I would recommend a different hitch, B&W and Anderson are both much easier and more compliant when it comes to hitch and unhitch.
I contacted Keystone about the Anderson hitch before I purchased this Reese hitch. Keystone said the trailer ‘ Frame’ probably would NOT be warranted if I used the Anderson hitch, so I didn’t get it. I do like the Anderson hitch. I appreciate your time and I put, thank you.
I’ll see what happens Saturday when I try again.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:25 PM   #17
Greg1780

Quote:
What kind of a hitch do you have?
Saturday I’m going to use graphic on the release handle and internal mechanisms. I also emailed Reese Hitches with NO response yet. It could be a pitch at the storage facility, however their are (6-7) fifth wheels right next to mine. I was just move to a premo site, this was the first time parking there.
Thank you,
Also a Ret. LEO
Old 11-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're using a "teflon disc" on the pin, be aware that they come in several different thicknesses. If you've got a "close clearance" on the pin shoulder and the hitch fingers" and are using a "thick disc" you may be compounding the problem by "thinking you're only slightly raising the pinbox" but in reality are lifting it enough to put pressure on the pin shoulders, effectively locking the hitch fingers so they won't move....

I had that problem and found the solution accidentally when I damaged my disc and bought a new one. My old one was about 1/4" or maybe even 5/16" thick, the new one is a bit less than 3/16". Since putting the thinner disc on the pinbox, my "hard to unlock issues" went from "almost every time" to "maybe one in 20 or 25 times".

You might try backing into the hitch to remove pressure on the front of the fingers and lower the pinbox a bit to see if maybe.... It worked for me, might help you too.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
What kind of a hitch do you have?
Saturday I’m going to use graphic on the release handle and internal mechanisms. I also emailed Reese Hitches with NO response yet. It could be a pitch at the storage facility, however their are (6-7) fifth wheels right next to mine. I was just move to a premo site, this was the first time parking there.
Thank you,
Also a Ret. LEO
I don’t remember right off hand, I bought it in 2008 when I bought my current truck. It’s not a Reese. I have a Teflon disc, and it hasn’t ever caused any issues.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #20
Greg1780

I didn’t about the different thicknesses and I just bought a spare. I did notice their was more Teflon shaving in the truck bed. I just got it out of service for warranty work and the dealership took off the Teflon plate and I had to put it back on again. I’ll be looking for another player, thank you

Tags
5th wheel