Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
RobbyT191

Rv battery operation

My 31 mbs will not run off the battery when disconnected from our power.
Any ideas why. My battery is fully charged and brand new. Runs my slides but that’s it. I turned on battery disconnect but it doesn’t not matter it is is on or off.
Help please.
RobbyT191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyT191 View Post
My 31 mbs will not run off the battery when disconnected from our power.
Any ideas why. My battery is fully charged and brand new. Runs my slides but that’s it. I turned on battery disconnect but it doesn’t not matter it is is on or off.
Help please.
Is it a new trailer ? Are you the only owner? Has it ever worked before?

If you or someone hooked up battery reversed for even a moment it can blow the reverse polarity fuses on your converter.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #3
Canonman

There are resettable fuses near the batteries. One or both of these may have popped. The slides on our Cougar are on the non fused side.
Photo is the part you're looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	95
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	35066  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
RobbyT191

It was purchased last year. I am the only owner. I know it worked last fall as we had a power outage in a big thunderstorm. My slide were working all year until last weekend my battery was dead I took it to the dealer and they confirmed the battery was no good. I replaced with new but I never checked until today to see if my fridge would power up on propane and nothing. I check all fuses but did not see one like in the picture posted. Also no lights work at all when unplugged from power.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
It was purchased last year. I am the only owner. I know it worked last fall as we had a power outage in a big thunderstorm. My slide were working all year until last weekend my battery was dead I took it to the dealer and they confirmed the battery was no good. I replaced with new but I never checked until today to see if my fridge would power up on propane and nothing. I check all fuses but did not see one like in the picture posted. Also no lights work at all when unplugged from power.
Unless you were plugged into shore power or left the battery disconnected from the trailer there is a parasitic draw even with the "battery disconnect" in off..

Your battery is dead...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
RobbyT191

Battery is not dead. Green light on and fully charged double check it today
Old 08-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Battery is not dead. Green light on and fully charged double check it today
If you are plugged into shore power and are checking the battery via a display inside the camper then you are looking at the voltage that the converter is producing. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #8
jasin1

I’d check to see if you missed a wire when reconnecting battery’s or a wire broke off a ground or circuit breaker from being handled.

And whatever made the first battery go dead may be making the second one do the same …light on somewhere? although you say the slides are working

Also more solutions are overlooked because someone is POSITIVE it can’t possibly be one thing that they KNOW is not the problem…..ask me how I know this
Old 08-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
Javi

I just got to ask... What GREEN light ?????
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
RobbyT191

My batteries I purchase at magnacharge have green lights on them no light on charge. Mint batteries!!
Old 08-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #11
RobbyT191

I’m thinking the same thing. something isnt working with a connection somewhere as the battery may not be charging as it’s obviously not hooked up somehow.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #12
RobbyT191

I don’t have one but can’t get one. I can google how to use it lol
Old 08-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #13
GHen

A week without shore power can kill a battery. Too much little stuff draining them until they are dead.

Check voltage with shore power and without, disconnect battery cables and check again.. Always let them rest for 30 minutes if they have been charging.

Here are some quick general numbers for your new volt meter you need to buy.

Below 12.2, dead battery
12.7 good battery
13.2-13.6 first level charging happening
13.6-14.1 fast charging happening

When you have 2 batteries, check them separately without cables on them. One could be good and supporting the 2nd dead battery.

I had a couple batteries not in my rv, that showed they had 12.7 volts, but with any load they dropped to 9.7, 10 year old batteries are only good for core charges on new ones.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #14
RobbyT191

I appreciate your replies so much it it’s not a battery issue it’s something that not allowing the battery to do it’s job. I’m going to check for the resettable fuses. I’ve checked every other fuse I can find and they are all good.
Thanks you all for your time and I’ll take any advice or other ideas you have thank you all very much. I’m headed out to camp tomorrow to try again. Wish me luck.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:03 AM   #15
bbells

I ran into a similar problem on an rv I sold. None of your AC outlets will work on battery unless you have an inverter, and those are relatively rare in campers. What does and what doesn't work? I know you said the sildeouts work. How about the lights or the stereo? If your slideouts are working on 12v then every other 12v thing should be working unless you have some fried fuses.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery