Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
Kirch1

Montana high country quality ?

Hey all…I have owned many brands on RV’s both pull behind and the last 5 have been 5th wheels. Never owned a Montana. We purchased a new 2021 Montana high country 351bh. Loved the layout. To our disappointment we had 24 different items wrong with it. A few big items….no air flow from air conditioners, air conditioner rattles, Won’t cool down main cabin. Cable broke on bedroom slide, pulleys pulling out of wall on dining slide, shower base leaks, shower don’t drain, warped bedroom door, panel split on the bathroom utility, 2 outdoor exterior doors would not stay latched, TV in main cabin don’t work, the front cab exterior accent light eyebrow was installed 2 ft long and did not across the entire front cab, the auto level does not level the trailer front to back or side to side. These are just a few issues. On top of that keystone is giving us a hassle with covering things. My question is…..is this normal for Montana high countries and is keystone that hard to deal with.
Kirch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I own a 20 MHC. It had issues....as I expected it would and every other new trailer I've purchased has as well. Knew to identify them, fix what I could and have warranty repair the rest, which they did no questions asked and some past the 12 mo. warranty period.

Outside baggage doors not closing may be something like mine was; folks looking in it, slamming the doors etc. bent the small lip on the bottom where it latches. Very simple fix that I did in about 5 minutes.

I've not had most of your other issues but had others just as bad or worse but all taken care of. Most of the items you mention should have been caught on either the dealer PDI or your walk thru sounds like; did you do one?

As far as "Keystone" giving you a hard time about warranty repairs, how are you trying to get that done? There is a right way and a wrong way.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:30 PM   #3
jsb5717

Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear about all your issues. Sadly I believe you are experiencing the result of the sharp increase in RV demand over the past year and a half. I don't know for a fact, but I suspect that production in many industries has seen a decline in QC as the increased demand for limited product has pushed for greater/speedier output during the Covid difficulties.

Our 2018 HC has had almost no build-quality issues. The only real issue we currently have is, like you, poor performance from the AC. But that seems to be an AC design issue, not an RV build issue.

I hope you have a good, responsive, helpful dealer who can help you get your warranty issues resolved.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
JDDilly

I have a 2020 381TH. We had a few issues, all somewhat minor. I had it back to the dealer twice with no issues being covered under warranty. this is our 4th Keystone product and have never had an issue dealing with them on repairs. My experience with warranty, it depends a lot on your dealer. If they go to bat for you, things go better with Keystone.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:58 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like your selling dealer "LET YOU DOWN".... Most of the items you listed as "Keystone failures" are things any "competent" dealership would have identified and corrected BEFORE you ever got a chance to walk through your new trailer. As for Keystone giving you a hassle about repairs, it really depends on what the repairs are. Adjustments to slides, doors, cabinets, resealing the roof and windows/baggage doors, etc are only covered for the first 90 days (read your warranty in the owner's manual if you doubt that)...

So, depending on how long you've had the trailer, some of what you list "might no longer be considered a warranty item"... The bottom line is that ALL of that should have been identified by the dealership and repaired before they delivered the trailer to you... That part is NOT a Keystone issue (sure they could have built it without any of the issues) rather it's the "dealer rushing to push you out the door and cash your check"....

So, while Keystone may be "refusing to fix things under warranty", read the actual warranty, not the dealership's "everything's covered for a year" sales statements.... Know what you're up against and then square off with the dealership. THEY LET YOU DOWN, BIG TIME !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #6
Kirch1

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. Each of you brought up some really good thoughts I have been camping for 30+ years and I have owned at least 10 brand new campers so I definitely know about things that can go wrong. I totally understand about minor things going wrong and the reason why I know that is because out of those 10 campers I had little to no issues with them. That is why I was asking about the quality of the Montana because I’ve never owned one before and never had any major issues with any of those other campers that I have owned. I’ve only had the camper eight weeks and six weeks of that have been in the shop. I’ve only used the camper twice. We did do a walk-through of the camper. The warped door and the split panel in the other door was noted on the walk-through and pictures were taken. Keystone denied and said that the warped door is functional and said it cracked in the panel was not a defect but damage therefore they would not cover it. The TV was working the day of the walk-through the issue became you cannot use the remote with the TV because the Eye Center on the TV does not acknowledge the remote. Of course the leaking shower at the base we did not run water during the walk-through and that was found on our first trip. The slide out cable breaking happened on our second trip and at that moment through my investigation I found the other pulley brackets pulling out of the wall.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:42 PM   #7
Kirch1

I was going to run out of line so I want to continue on from my previous reply. As far as how I went about the warranty issues with Keystone. The dealership handled it first and was denied twice and then I called the company and talk to the representative and was also denied over the phone. As far as the dealership is concerned I agree with you that they dropped the ball. Not a surprise as I purchased from camping world. Camping world does not come with a very good reputation. But I was kind of stuck because they were the only one that had that floorplan within 1000 miles of where I live. I also believe that due to the surge camper sales that this is unique time frame we are in has made the manufacturers push campers through the build process in order to get them to the field. Once again I appreciate everybody’s feedback on my situation. I realize I’m not the only one going through this. I know the several times that I was back at the dealership and having conversations about all the defects. There were many other customers that just purchased a new campers that had many issues as well. I will keep you all updated on how it goes.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
JDDilly

Not all Camping World locations are the same. The one I use in Minneapolis is great. I have never had an issue with warranty or other service they have done. I also have never left my camper there for more then 2 days while they did work. This may not be the norm, but they are better then the largest private dealer in the area.

The items found before leaving the lot should have been covered, the service or general manager should have made sure of that.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
Old 07-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Kirch1 from what I'm reading the dealership is still letting you down. THEY control the descriptions of problems, possible/probable causes and suggested resolutions. Keystone listens to them and particularly the service dept. management (yes, the TECH is who communicates with Keystone to get your repairs approved). I've had (made) them provide me the documentation sent to Keystone and what was submitted had no resemblance to the issue and was denied; properly submitted it was approved. If you are not front and center with the dealership management.....you need to be.

As far as CW, I've had great results from them from TX to FL and in between. There are some dealerships that "need work" but you have to know how to "work thru them".
Old 07-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

First, go talk to your CW facility general manager and see if he's able/willing to help. If he stalls or can't/won't work with you to get your trailer fixed, then

Go to this link: https://www.campingworld.com/contact

Scroll down and you'll see a photo of Marcus Lemonis, the Camping World CEO. Just to the left of his photo are two links. One is CW Customer Service. Give them a call at that number and see if you get better results than with your CW management. If not, right under that is the "direct number to his office". I've know people who were ready to burn their trailer to the ground from frustration and after one phone call to the CEO, got every one of their issues resolved in "record time"...

Your CW facility owes you, you do NOT owe them..... Step on toes at the dealership, if that doesn't work, use the above link to get your problems resolved.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #11
Kirch1

Hey to everyone that was having a conversation with me about my Montana high country 351BH quality. I received a lot of great advice and comments from all of you. I wanted to give you an update as to where and what happened. I took the advice and reached out to keystone via the email that was given to me and received a response that gave me the warranty information and said that nothing they see would be under warranty. Therefore, they are denying all that’s listed. I also reached out to Camping World CEO through his email as suggested. I did receive an email back stating that somebody from the dealership and somebody from camping world will be contacting me in 48 hours. Nobody called from either place and I waited 72 hours.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #12
Kirch1

Continuing…. I called the dealership because by this time my trailer was supposed to be actually in the shop. At this point they have had it for two weeks. I was told that it would be another week before they got in the shop. I left work that day and drove to the dealership and said that I wanted to speak to the service manager and I was not leaving until I talk with him. Him and I spoke for probably an hour the first part of it was pretty intense. But once I explain to him everything that has gone wrong from the date of purchase all the way through their service Circus he became more sympathetic. All that happened last Friday. Since then I received a phone call Wednesday this week that they have ordered all the parts needed for repair and they have completed repair on everything that I listed.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #13
Kirch1

Continuing…. I have not yet picked up the camper and taking them at their word but super excited that they were able to get through and fix all the issues. If you remember I made mention of the air conditioning issue not blowing and cooling off the trailer. When they first had at the first six weeks they said everything was fine and that was just a Montana issue. I asked them to please look at it again and they did and they found it several air vents that collapsed cutting off the air and a couple they had to tape off as the air was leaking into the roof and not into the room. It definitely pays to keep pushing.Thanks again for all the conversation.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:51 AM   #14
JDDilly

That is great news. Enjoy and happy travels.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
Old 08-06-2021, 05:58 AM   #15
Gkri

We do not have a Montana (Passport SL) but I read the RV industry is severely backlogged. Either they are hiring untrained help or just throwing things together as fast as possible. Electric work on our 2021 Passport was sloppy. My recent posts describe short circuit nightmare (fixed). Can you try returning under the Lemon Law?
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:39 AM   #16
dutchmensport

Had over 80 issues with my Montana High Country in the first year. I listed every one of them and kept track. I fixed, probably 70 of them myself. The other's were fixed by the dealer, including broken springs in the brakes, and doors that wouldn't close. These issues, the dealer fixed under warranty. All the smaller stuff, including re-hanging the closet shelf and building supports under it, I did myself. I felt like I rebuilt the entire camper. But now, it's rock solid! Love it!
Old 08-07-2021, 06:41 AM   #17
Kirch1

I believe a lemon law pertains to having the same issue over and over without being resolved. I did speak to the dealership because they also on Gander RV and they had three of these units sitting on their lot and I asked them if I could just exchange it for one of those units. But their answer was no.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:44 AM   #18
Kirch1

To be quite honest I am pretty handy myself. I have remodeled several homes, built garage, deck, etc. So to your point most of the stuff I probably could’ve fixed except for the major stuff like air conditioning, slides etc. But my point was why do I need to do that when I purchased a brand new trailer. And in my conversation I did tell him that. But I’m not helpless so I could probably fix most of the stuff but that was not the point. I’m hoping this is the end of it and will move forward in a positive direction. My wife and I both love the camper as a pertains to layout, style, color and it pulls great. Let’s hope for the best if not I will be trading it off next year.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch1 View Post
To be quite honest I am pretty handy myself. I have remodeled several homes, built garage, deck, etc. So to your point most of the stuff I probably could’ve fixed except for the major stuff like air conditioning, slides etc. But my point was why do I need to do that when I purchased a brand new trailer. And in my conversation I did tell him that. But I’m not helpless so I could probably fix most of the stuff but that was not the point. I’m hoping this is the end of it and will move forward in a positive direction. My wife and I both love the camper as a pertains to layout, style, color and it pulls great. Let’s hope for the best if not I will be trading it off next year.

If it were me I would think long and hard about the highlighted above. Trading in next year only means you get a different trailer with a laundry list of unknown problems that have to be repaired......again. I've gone that route a few times and the result is always the same......no magic elixir fix with a new trailer, just new problems and new frustrations until you identify all the issues and get them fixed. That is when you should determine to keep the unit vs buying a new Pandora's box of who knows what. I made that determination on this trailer; no more new ones to fight and worry about or work on. Get this one right and hang on.

Tags
montana, quality