Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2021, 05:52 PM   #1
Dankt

Metal bar near the front of my Montana fifth wheel

Hello. I bought a generator that fits in the front storage where my battery is located. It’s a tight fit due to a long metal bar that runs across the inside. I was wondering if anyone knows what this metal bar is for. Not sure if it’s something I can just take out. I attached the picture. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E205AD46-9C2D-44F7-8DFE-F617C36AE7CA.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	34375  
Dankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
Terry W.

If you are talking about the square bar it runs the landing gear, kinda need it
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
Dankt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W. View Post
If you are talking about the square bar it runs the landing gear, kinda need it
Ya I am talking about that square bar right below that little motor on the right side. I’m a new RV owner so I am not familiar at all with with this stuff.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
Sarge2

that motor drives the gear box that bar is connected too... don't want to move that for sure...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:16 PM   #5
Terry W.

Basically that is the drive shaft for your 2 front landing gear
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

You can be assured that ANYTHING you find in a camper, that's not decorative,"is needed" with the exception of the construction debris they leave behind.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:01 PM   #7
Dankt

Thanks everyone
Old 07-01-2021, 10:13 PM   #8
BookPaul74

If you really want to remove it then you could mount a second motor to the right side (passenger) and add a second switch. It would give you a bit of leveling side to side. As long as you don’t have the auto leveling system.

I wanted to do something like that to my 2014 Cougar but the right leg doesn’t have the mounting plate or gear so I would have to replace the whole jack.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:21 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankt View Post
Hello. I bought a generator that fits in the front storage where my battery is located. It’s a tight fit due to a long metal bar that runs across the inside. I was wondering if anyone knows what this metal bar is for. Not sure if it’s something I can just take out. I attached the picture. Thanks for the help.
Just curious…are you mounting a permanent generator in the front storage?
Or Is it a portable generator that you want to run while it’s in the front storage?
Or are you just storing a portable while you travel and running it away from the rv with a cord?
Just wanted to make sure you weren’t thinking of running a portable in the storage compartment or a improper installed permanent
Old 07-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
If you really want to remove it then you could mount a second motor to the right side (passenger) and add a second switch. It would give you a bit of leveling side to side. As long as you don’t have the auto leveling system.

I wanted to do something like that to my 2014 Cougar but the right leg doesn’t have the mounting plate or gear so I would have to replace the whole jack.
An owner "can do a second motor mod" to the front landing gear, but using the "independent landing gear as a leveling system" is a good way to "twist the frame on older fifth wheels. Many of the "pre 2010 fifth wheel frames" were not built to remain rigid when one corner was "lifted to level the trailer". What can happen is the front crossmembers will flex/bend and when the trailer is returned to the hitch position, one chassis rail is "higher than the other one"...

Frame twist is a "real world situation" that can cause frame alignment, towing problems and window and door closing problems both inside the trailer as well as on the exterior walls. It's also very easy to damage the slide systems if the trailer frame is "set up in a twisted configuration"...

All this "used to be in the owner's manual" but has been "removed as a part of either "dumbing down the public" or "improvements with the Lippert Frame integrity".... I doubt Lippert has made any significant improvements in frame strength in recent years, so...........

On the Lippert website, in the FAQ section there is a question:

Q: Can I use this to level my trailer?
A: The intended use of the jacks is to stabilize, not level the unit.

https://support.lci1.com/electric-landing-gear

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:20 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Seem to recall that the "floor" in our front compartment doesn't look like it would take 200 lbs of generator and hopefully you had not planned on running the generator in the front compartment? I couldn't lift a generator in there very easily but you may be younger and stronger than me. IF I could lift a generator, I would put it in the truck bed and perhaps devise a cover system (can't run a generator in rain) and perhaps run it from the truck bed? You will have fumes if run in the front compartment.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #12
BandT

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread. But would it be ok to store a inverter type generator, say less than 100 lbs. in the pass through? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2021, 08:44 AM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandT View Post
Sorry if I am hijacking the thread. But would it be ok to store a inverter type generator, say less than 100 lbs. in the pass through? Thanks!
You will probably end up with a $1000 chiropractor bill…it’s a awkward opening to lift something that heavy up and over while bending over.

Personally I don’t want any gas being shaken up or a heavy generator getting bounced around in there with batteries and electrical items already in the area. Others may do it but I keep mine in bed of truck like George suggested
Old 07-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #14
BandT

Good point, didn’t think about electrical there, just not sure of the security of leaving it in the pick up bed.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:13 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandT View Post
Good point, didn’t think about electrical there, just not sure of the security of leaving it in the pick up bed.
I bet your could fix the genny in your bed securely if you consider options. I would put a lid on the genny for when it rained and make it pivot up for service and adding fuel and perhaps buy some chain or something similar. My BIL chained his genny in his bed when they had a bumper pull and had one of those bed cover things that covered everything and was lockable. Bet something similar could be done if you put the genny against the cab.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #16
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Seem to recall that the "floor" in our front compartment doesn't look like it would take 200 lbs of generator and hopefully you had not planned on running the generator in the front compartment? I couldn't lift a generator in there very easily but you may be younger and stronger than me. IF I could lift a generator, I would put it in the truck bed and perhaps devise a cover system (can't run a generator in rain) and perhaps run it from the truck bed? You will have fumes if run in the front compartment.
Don’t know about the new ones but the floor in mine is steel and it has a series of narrow cuts in it. Thought it might be to cut out for a generator mount.

I specifically bought a Predator 3500 because it lower than the top bed rails. I have a roll up tonneau cover. In nice weather I roll it part way open and move the generator towards the side to move the exhaust as far away from the bed side or I’ll roll it out onto the tailgate. I have run it underneath the tonneau with the tailgate down depending on how hard it’s raining and which direction it coming from.

To keep it from moving I have a 2/6 cut so it fits in the slots on each side of the bed and I’m also able to carry 2 five gallon gas cans and to fill in the rest of the space I usually have several bags of firewood. I take a bike lock and loop it through the tie down in the corner of the bed and the handle. I just re-lock it when I move it to run so it’s still somewhat secure.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #17
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
An owner "can do a second motor mod" to the front landing gear, but using the "independent landing gear as a leveling system" is a good way to "twist the frame on older fifth wheels. Many of the "pre 2010 fifth wheel frames" were not built to remain rigid when one corner was "lifted to level the trailer". What can happen is the front crossmembers will flex/bend and when the trailer is returned to the hitch position, one chassis rail is "higher than the other one"...

Frame twist is a "real world situation" that can cause frame alignment, towing problems and window and door closing problems both inside the trailer as well as on the exterior walls. It's also very easy to damage the slide systems if the trailer frame is "set up in a twisted configuration"...

All this "used to be in the owner's manual" but has been "removed as a part of either "dumbing down the public" or "improvements with the Lippert Frame integrity".... I doubt Lippert has made any significant improvements in frame strength in recent years, so...........

On the Lippert website, in the FAQ section there is a question:

Q: Can I use this to level my trailer?
A: The intended use of the jacks is to stabilize, not level the unit.

https://support.lci1.com/electric-landing-gear
I said “a bit”. On my 1989 Kropf Limited 24’ I had to torque it just a bit to keep the door from hanging up.

On the 1998 Alfa Ideas 36’ it got to the point to get the 18’ living room slide to work I needed to put just a bit more pressure on the left rear scissor jack.

Whether he replaces the motor or jacks he’s looking at around $500.00 in parts. That’s the reason I decided it wasn’t worth the change.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:13 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I said “a bit”. On my 1989 Kropf Limited 24’ I had to torque it just a bit to keep the door from hanging up.

On the 1998 Alfa Ideas 36’ it got to the point to get the 18’ living room slide to work I needed to put just a bit more pressure on the left rear scissor jack.

Whether he replaces the motor or jacks he’s looking at around $500.00 in parts. That’s the reason I decided it wasn’t worth the change.
You're speaking "in specifics" about your trailers. Members with less experience with RV's also read suggestions. Many of them are "mechanically challenged with no RV experience". My post was intended to "caution those members about the pitfalls they might encounter"....

As a comment, in both your 1989 Kropf and your 1998 Alfa, "frame flex" probably caused the issues you related. That could be "proof positive" that the issue I spoke of existed in both your trailers.

My only concern was not that you suggested a fix that might work, but that some "novice RV'er" might put the suggestion to work in an attempt to build a cheaper leveling system and cause damage to his trailer.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-03-2021, 07:23 AM   #19
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You're speaking "in specifics" about your trailers. Members with less experience with RV's also read suggestions. Many of them are "mechanically challenged with no RV experience". My post was intended to "caution those members about the pitfalls they might encounter"....

As a comment, in both your 1989 Kropf and your 1998 Alfa, "frame flex" probably caused the issues you related. That could be "proof positive" that the issue I spoke of existed in both your trailers.

My only concern was not that you suggested a fix that might work, but that some "novice RV'er" might put the suggestion to work in an attempt to build a cheaper leveling system and cause damage to his trailer.... YMMV
Got it. I don’t have a self leveling system but from watching a friends Solitude it looks possible to flex the frame with that system. I also assumed that the poster would not have the knowledge to do the changes and would require a professional to do the changes and they would warn him of the dangers.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:36 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Got it. I don’t have a self leveling system but from watching a friends Solitude it looks possible to flex the frame with that system. I also assumed that the poster would not have the knowledge to do the changes and would require a professional to do the changes and they would warn him of the dangers.
Yep.... Since when has "not having knowledge" stopped people from doing things to their RV???? And, if the factory doesn't warn us of the "dangers", why would someone trying to make a living at an RV dealership sales department or service department turn down dollars (profit) to protect someone from the risk that they "might damage their rig" ??? And if it twists the frame, they can always "blame it on something else (like "hey, Lippert builds crappy frames, maybe they'll warranty it. If they don't we can fix it (for more of your hard earned money)"........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
fifth wheel, montana