Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #1
akmk81

Flojet water pump rattle

I have a Flojet "Triplex Diaphragm" water pump that came new with the camper. Since new, it has rattled very badly that you can feel the vibration through-out the camper when it's running. I have insulated all the Pex tubing anywhere it touches anything and that helped a little. Has anyone experienced this with their unit? I would really like to figure out how to make it quieter.
Thanks
Alan

2004 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.0 Powerstroke Lariat CC SB SRW
2018 Cougar 311res
PullRite SuperLite on standard rails
akmk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The water pump is mounted to the trailer floor using 4 screws. Ideally, the screws are "just tight enough to secure the pump without being too tight and defeating the purpose of the rubber isolation feet"... There's a fine line between securing the pump and over-securing the pump.

If too tight, the pump vibrations make the floor act like a drum head. If too loose, the pump vibrations cause the pump to rattle because it's not secure. That "fine line" is difficult to master, especially on the line where workers are rushed to "install this before you go to lunch"....

I built a "foam isolation mounting board" from things I had sitting around the shop. I mounted the pump to the board and then mounted the board to the trailer floor. Essentially, the intent was for the pump to be "isolated from the trailer floor by a 3/4" foam sheet (similar to the foam anti-fatigue mats). It works fairly well, although the pump is not "silent"....

Honestly, I prefer to hear the pump. As long as I know I "can hear it when it runs", while camping, the reality is if there's no water being used and the pump is off, I know there's no "hidden leak that's going to destroy my floor"... So, if I do hear it at "0-dark-thirty" and DW is in bed sleeping, I know I've got problems to fix in the morning.

Here's a diagram of the isolation pad I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER PUMP MOUNT 001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	33982  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #3
akmk81

Thanks for the info John. I think I'll give it a try.

2018 Cougar 311res
Old 06-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #4
Devin_Noel

You want a loop of flexible pipe between the pump & PEX. That loop absorbs vibration that would otherwise be transmitted through the relatively stiff PEX. An accumulator tank (https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-305730...dp/B004BC8LZO/ or the like) can help dampen some of the pulsing that gets transmitted by the water as well.

And the other mounting stuff between the pump & the floor/wall already mentioned is applicable too.
Devin_Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #5
akmk81

Thanks, I'll look into that as well.

2018 Cougar 311res

Tags
water, water pump