Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2021, 04:08 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Well, as Jim noted, IMO any TK or Tow(anything) was "ripe" for replacement 8 weeks after the born date....OR the day before you pick up the camper, whichever comes first.

As far as the comparisons being made John is on point. No one (I don't) cares about what is written/in print about a tire. I care about real life experiences from real life people - not what someone read or what "should be" (Lord knows we get enough of that in the world today). Apples to apples of what happened to THAT tire that blew up on THAT guy....not "it should be this" or " it should be that" or etc.

As far as GY Endurance vs anything else, they are overpriced. It would be different if they had a long, stellar track record and no other tire did but that isn't the case. IMO the jury is still out. Also, the OP has 15" tires and needs to replace them (has dodged a bullet for quite a while). I've had excellent success with Carlisle tires and have no problem recommending them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:44 AM   #22
razahoryin

the GY marathons have been discontinued for some time now. You will be very happy with the new GY endurance tires.. and yes they are US made.. that’s worth a few extra dollars to me.
razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #23
Gunny Mike

Maybe as owners we need to file a class action lawsuit. Sounds like negligence. Our luck we would just get $50.00 though.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:48 AM   #24
ckittila

My Rules on Trailer Tires

1. Keep them inflated to the proper pressure.
2. Except for obvious tire damage/wear, the appearance of any trailer tire tells you nothing. These tires rot from the inside.
3. Beyond obvious damage, the date code tells you everything. In year 3, start looking for new tires—year 4, replace them all (including that perfect spare).

This is just my experience, borne out of experience. I have bought brand new Goodyear tires and had them fail. I’ve had, so called “China Bombs” and had them fail. Trailer tires are just a crap shoot—sometimes you get a good set, sometimes not. You only pray that when they fail they don’t damage too much of your trailer and there is a good safe place to pull over.
ckittila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by razahoryin View Post
the GY marathons have been discontinued for some time now. You will be very happy with the new GY endurance tires.. and yes they are US made.. that’s worth a few extra dollars to me.
"A few extra dollars" wouldn't be bad but usually they run 50-100% more than Carlisle, Sailun or Maxxis brands. In my opinion they are not 50-100% better tires.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #26
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
Maybe as owners we need to file a class action lawsuit. Sounds like negligence. Our luck we would just get $50.00 though.
It's already been tried Gunny. It's against TowMaxSTR. Here is the reference.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...nd%20Wisconsin.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:03 PM   #27
CWtheMan

In my last count there were 5 off shore trailer tire manufacturers building ST225/75R15 LRG all steel tires with a load capacity of 2910#.

When looking at the quality of trailer tires you cannot rule out the higher durability of the all steel redial trailer tires. Polyester melts at about 495 degrees "F". Nylon melts at about 350 degrees "F".

Hot brakes become recognizable at somewhere around 550-650 degrees "F". That heat must dissipate. It goes from the brake to the hub to the wheel and finally to the tires. By the time it peaks, tire cording will suffer some sort of damage. That cause of damage is undetectable unless the vehicle is equipped to measure the heat. Even then tire damages cannot be seen without an internal inspection. Those damages and other unseen damages do not belong to a brand.

Defective tires send out alarms. Those alarms can be isolated by those trained to find them. Some are so obvious a consumer can find them. When found and reported, recall actions will follow. When did you see the last recall for ST tires???
Old 06-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #28
Campermike

I'm sure Sailun tires are a bit better than the trailer king... But they're both owned by the same company. http://www.tbcbrands.com/ owns then both as well as a ton of other brands. For 15" I like Carlisle and have had good luck with them. I have also had experience with power king(another tbc brand) tires on my old popup and they were great... Put on a lot of miles on them and had them 4 years or so... That said the popup was light.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #29
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Trailer King Repkacwd

Background info. Bought new 2020 Keystone Cougar 29RLD in November 2019. Total miles in 2020 about 8500. At annual maintenance and inspection for lifetime warranty dealer found a prominent bulge on tread of Trailer King RST ST235/75R15 E tires furnished with the trailer. Date code was recent to trailer manufacture which I ordered in October 2019. After my study I replaced them with Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 E. Tires. Would have preferred Michelin ST tires but they are not made in 15 inch size.

So far in 2021 have about 5000 miles on the Endurace tires. They ride very stable with no sway.

Also for perspective I have bought four new Carlisle ST tires for a flatbed trailer in the past with 100% failure experience. So I personally would not consider Carlisle.

And a recommendation for everyone to get a TPMS of some sort and use it. Today I had an alarm on my TireMinder system showing rapid drop in my tow vehicle rear tire. I quickly pulled over and prevented running on a completely flat tire. No damage done, tire is ok. Problem was with valve stem.

Been on the road 6 weeks but heading home.
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:07 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC GT Yellow Jacket View Post
Background info. Bought new 2020 Keystone Cougar 29RLD in November 2019. Total miles in 2020 about 8500. At annual maintenance and inspection for lifetime warranty dealer found a prominent bulge on tread of Trailer King RST ST235/75R15 E tires furnished with the trailer. Date code was recent to trailer manufacture which I ordered in October 2019. After my study I replaced them with Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 E. Tires. Would have preferred Michelin ST tires but they are not made in 15 inch size.

So far in 2021 have about 5000 miles on the Endurace tires. They ride very stable with no sway.

Also for perspective I have bought four new Carlisle ST tires for a flatbed trailer in the past with 100% failure experience. So I personally would not consider Carlisle.

And a recommendation for everyone to get a TPMS of some sort and use it. Today I had an alarm on my TireMinder system showing rapid drop in my tow vehicle rear tire. I quickly pulled over and prevented running on a completely flat tire. No damage done, tire is ok. Problem was with valve stem.

Been on the road 6 weeks but heading home.
Curious about your experince with the Carlise trailer tires. 100% failure rate? When was this, i.e. when did you buy them and how old were they when they failed?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:21 AM   #31
notanlines

Marshall, when we bought our first 2 engine boat (30' Webbcraft, Collinsville, OK) it came with a triple axle trailer. Brakes on 2 axles, 15" tires. We blasted and painted the trailer and put new bearings, brakes and Carlisle tires. They blew like candles at a birthday party. Tire dealer put Goodyears in their stead and they were on it when it was sold 4 years later. Carlisles have made tremendous strides in quality since then....circa 1992.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Marshall, when we bought our first 2 engine boat (30' Webbcraft, Collinsville, OK) it came with a triple axle trailer. Brakes on 2 axles, 15" tires. We blasted and painted the trailer and put new bearings, brakes and Carlisle tires. They blew like candles at a birthday party. Tire dealer put Goodyears in their stead and they were on it when it was sold 4 years later. Carlisles have made tremendous strides in quality since then....circa 1992.
I know the past history, that's why I asked when it happened. I had Goodyear Marathons that were junk but that was quite a few years ago. Just trying to put it into perspective for those that may not be aware of the history.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #33
mjsibe

Tires

If you have any (I'm sorry) China made tires just get them changed out.
They can fail or blow up at anytime.
Mine had 7k 3years old BOOM.
Lucky no major damage, a Fender bracket some minor cracks in the skirts.
Go with Goodyear ENDURANCE Carlisle Salin
Depending on size.
Those brands are all good.
Just make sure it says made in USA.
Not all China brand tires are bad but most are .
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:21 AM   #34
Danimal713

Yep BTDT!

We purchased a Crossroads Sunset Trails 291RK used last year. It had hardly been used and we purchased from 2nd owner (he is a jet engine mechanic and furloughed just that day due to COVID). I checked tires carefully and all looked decent. I keep them covered in my driveway next to shop. They were Castle Rock ST205/751 14 load range C. The DOT codes were late in year 2016. The dry weight of camper is just under 5700#. I figure added gear and a little water puts it around 6500 pulling weight. @50 lbs the load capacity is listed as 1760/tire. I just don't feel that allows a good measure of safety margin for the approximate 6500#.= -4 X 1760= 7040.
We have taken several trips and always check pressure and set to 50 lbs (including spare). I also bump up my TV rear tires a little and recently added air shocks (but leveling not to increase load carrying capacity cause it doesn't1). For last trip over Mother's Day we did 3 1/2 hour each way trip to just north of Lexington KY. I had set tires to 50 lbs and checked for any signed of checking/cracks and saw none. On the way home about 20 minutes out, I heard a POP and trailer had a little sway in its step. I got to shoulder and over to a frontage road to get off the busy raod we were on. I then found out the tire cross lug wrench I carry did not fit the aluminum rims the trailer has (totally my oversite)> I needed a deep well socket I did not have in my truck tools. In the end, I dropped trailer and ran home to get my big floor jack/jack stand and deep well socket/breaker bar. I had it fixed in less than 20 minutes and back in driveway. Checking the tires I now saw small checks/cracks starting in them. The tire that blew obviously was steel belted cause I could see the steel sticking out of the blown tread. Fortunately it did not damage the plastic/aluminum wheel skirt. I took all 5 tires to Discount Tire and they are putting on Carlisle with 8 ply and @80# capacity is 2200+/tire. I have had very good luck with Carlisle tires on trailers over the years. I considered the Good Year Endurance tires but the cost difference was $80 vs $125/tire. I was going to replace the China bombs this year anyway and obviously wished I had prior to the mishap but it was close to home and I added deep well sockets to my trailer tools and a breaker bar. I already carry a jack and other paraphnalia to be prepared for these types of mishaps. I will replace the Carlisles in 4 years again as a precaution. It is the oz of prevention vs the lb of cure adage.
Question for the group- I do not need to run these tires @80# for a 6500# trailer. I am thinking between 65-70# pressure might be good. Wat are thoughts please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1819.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	33999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4721.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	34000  
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:33 AM   #35
notanlines

Mjsibe, sorry to burst your bubble, but all Sailun, Maxxis, Carlisle are made in China or eastern oriented countries. Still, they are all a good choice, just not made here.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:24 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Run them at the max rated psi on the sidewall (if the rims are rated for it). Otherwise, what's the point in having the extra load capacity if you aren't going to use it. The difference in ride harshness will be negligible as far as the trailer is concerned.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:31 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

In response to your explanation of tire size/ply/pressure. If the tires you're buying are radial ST tires, then 8 ply tires are rated at a max of 65PSI. 10 ply tires are rated at 80PSI. I don't know of any 14" Carlisle ST radial tires that are built with a 10 ply (LRE) rating. That has been the "Achilles tendon" with 14" ST tires for as long as I can remember. RV'ers wanting to increase load capacity on 14" wheels have been forced to go to 15" wheels to gain the increased capacity offered by LRE/80PSI tires from any manufacturer.

So, check your information on the tires you're buying. My guess is they are LRD/65PSI rated, not LRD-80PSI rated..... Don't "overpressurize them" or you may damage the tires.

Carlisle Radial Trail HD in 14" wheels offers (as the most weight capacity) the 205 75R14 LRD which is rated at 2040 pounds @65PSI. The other two 14" tires are LRC and are rated at 50PSI. There are no 14" LRE tires rated at 80PSI.
https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...dial-trail-hd/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:36 AM   #38
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal713 View Post
Question for the group- I do not need to run these tires @80# for a 6500# trailer. I am thinking between 65-70# pressure might be good. Wat are thoughts please?
All LRD tires provide their maximum load capacity at 65 PSI. Don't skimp on inflation pressures, it's not worth it.

Your best upgrade is to stick with the designated size that came with the trailer from the factory and add a load range. Almost all ST manufacturers built that tire with a LRD.

No matter what you do, replace the valve stems. All steel are recommended with caps that seal.

NOTE: ST tires are not mileage tires, they are considered age-out tires. Use beyond 5 years is very risky.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #39
Danimal713

I picked up the sneakers for the camper yesterday and installed them. I was mixing up tires I was looking at. The Carlisle are max 65 lbs and have 2040 capacity. I had been thinking of getting 15" rims and going with 10 ply tire but decided way overkill. Bumping up from load range C to D is sufficient. I am aware Carlisle tires are built in China but I think to a better standard. I have had good luck with them. The DOT dates are 4@0821 and 1@0921 so all fairly recent. I'll probably start thinking about swapping them during year 4 depending on what trips might be planned and how they wear and look during checks before each trip. Thanks for the input!
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal713 View Post
I picked up the sneakers for the camper yesterday and installed them. I was mixing up tires I was looking at. The Carlisle are max 65 lbs and have 2040 capacity. I had been thinking of getting 15" rims and going with 10 ply tire but decided way overkill. Bumping up from load range C to D is sufficient. I am aware Carlisle tires are built in China but I think to a better standard. I have had good luck with them. The DOT dates are 4@0821 and 1@0921 so all fairly recent. I'll probably start thinking about swapping them during year 4 depending on what trips might be planned and how they wear and look during checks before each trip. Thanks for the input!

Run them at 65 psi. You did good.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sprinter, tires