Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
crk112

awning blows fuses upon retracting

Going on our 4th summer with this TT, (Keystone Hideout 242LHS) we purchased it brand new in 2017.

I have an issue I'd like to share with the group and hopefully draw upon your wisdom.

I first encountered this issue last season and it's now repeatable. When retracting the awning, once closed it burns out the 12V 15A fuse nearly every time. Extending the awning is never an issue.

This has not always been the case, something definitely has changed with my awning. If I had to guess, maybe there's a faulty "stop switch" that is supposed to cut off the motor when it gets to a certain point? Am I in the ballpark? Has anyone experience correcting this type of failure?

In anticipation of your first follow-up questions; I let go of the retraction switch as soon as the awning stops retracting. I'm not sitting there holding down the switch after the awning stops retracting. From the time the awning stops retracting to the time I let go of the switch is less than a second.

I appreciate your time, thanks in advance!
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Brand of awning? It could be the motor. Some brands have a spring in the non motor side to help extend and can cause a little extra load when retracting. I would measure the amp draw when extending and retracting. Since you can get to the fuse, I would use this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-amp...ter-67724.html

I have one and it works good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It's possible that your problem could be caused by a number of different issues. I'd first check the awning arms to make sure the tension screws are loose and that the arms are not bent or off center. That could be putting the "maximum load just before the fuse blows" on the circuit as the awning retracts and "at the moment it stops, causes that load to 'just tip the bucket"...

In the meantime, replacing a fuse (while trying to troubleshoot and repair the problem) can be very frustrating... You might consider getting a "blade type circuit breaker" to replace the fuse until you find the issue and repair it. You can avoid much of the frustration of replacing a blown fuse with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/ZOOKOTO-12V-2...0415353&sr=8-4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15 AMP MINI FUSE BREAKER.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	33439  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:52 AM   #4
crk112

My bad! It's the Lippert Power Solera (not sure if I put the words in the correct order there model # is V000211365). It measures 12 feet wide between the arms.

I'll be looking at it on Monday ( that's tomorrow already?? where has the weekend gone?).. I'll check out those tension screws and see about locating that 12V amp gauge at my local Harbor Freight... along with one of those resettable blade fuses; that's going to be a savior!!

Thank you both for taking a moment to lend your wisdom! I'll post back with any new developments.
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
Old 05-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
My bad! It's the Lippert Power Solera (not sure if I put the words in the correct order there model # is V000211365). It measures 12 feet wide between the arms.

I'll be looking at it on Monday ( that's tomorrow already?? where has the weekend gone?).. I'll check out those tension screws and see about locating that 12V amp gauge at my local Harbor Freight... along with one of those resettable blade fuses; that's going to be a savior!!

Thank you both for taking a moment to lend your wisdom! I'll post back with any new developments.
My trailer has two of those awnings and even though I very rarely use them they almost always "blow" the fuse when retracting them. Luckily the dealer has been proactive and provided the auto resetting fuses.

I've noticed that if I remember to loosen the tension screws before retracting they rarely blow. Which is a pain because I have to drag a step ladder to each arm and loosen each even though I never tighten them to start with. I guess they tighten during towing from vibration.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:25 AM   #6
crk112

Good morning all;

Again I appreciate your responses here. I do apologize as I meant to come back sooner to report my results.

I am pretty sure I've located the tension screws, but without doing anything I've not had the problem occur again.

Soooo at least now I know what to look for if it occurs again. The wisdom here is always greatly appreciated.
Fastway e2 round bar WDH

Tags
awning, fuse