Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
Scotts766

Dometic furnace circuit breaker

We recently took delivery of a 2021 Cougar 26RBS. On our first camping trip we had to turn the heat on. It worked fine for awhile but then sometime during the first night it quit working. When I turned it off and back on again the blower came on and then the furnace ignited. It stayed on about 10 seconds and shut down. When this happened I noticed a red light on in the fuse panel. I restarted it a few times and same result.
We purchased our TT from Camping World and have access to the RV Tech Line. When the technician called me back he asked me if there was a black fuse in the panel. This is not a fuse but a resettable circuit breaker. He said there is an issue with this breaker not being able to withstand the surge of the burner igniting. He told me to replace it with a standard blue 15 amp ATC fuse.
Since doing this we have not had an issue and the heat is working great.
Our trailer has the In-Command system. The technician said the circuit breaker problem that comes with the Dometic furnace is a known issue. Hopefully this will help someone else having the same issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD924AF6-AD9E-497D-AF5E-3208C0E52705.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	33102  
Scotts766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #2
skids

Thanks! This is a good thing to know!
Old 04-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Believe it or not, that's a typical problem that happens from time to time. It doesn't happen "often enough to make the troubleshooting charts" but.....

Typically, the DC auto reset Mini Breakers on the trailer tongue bulkhead and the couple of blade type DC breakers that are in the fuse panel "just get weak springs" and start opening a little below the rating (after a couple of years)...

Don't toss the old mini-breaker... If you ever have an electrical issue and can't find the cause for blowing 15 amp fuses, you can just plug that circuit breaker into the fuse slot rather than buying "boxes and boxes" of 15 amp "one time use" fuses to help you troubleshoot the problem.... I've got a couple that I keep in my tool box, just for troubleshooting DC wiring issues....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #4
BlueJay Traveler

I had nothing but problems with my 2019 26 RBS furnace. I had the same problem as you The first night we brought it home we slept in the camper and the furnace malfunctioned halfway through the night. Same fuse went out and I continued having problems with the furnace for the next year. I took it in at the end of the one-year warranty timeframe and dealer said that I needed a new sales switch. The next spring I took the trailer out and had the same issues. Come to find out my problems were coming from the InCommand and The odd black box (gateway) connected to the Dometic air conditioner. However I could get no help from Dometic or Keystone on replacing this gateway. The way I eliminated the problem and before mentioned suppliers and going back to the dealership was to bypass the InCommand thermostat and connecting an old-fashioned thermostat directly to the furnace and mounted it on the wall by my sink. I have had no troubles ever since and now enjoy camping in cold Wisconsin weather with my keystone cougar.

It is very confusing that my InCommand system runs the air conditioner with no problem yet I always had problems with the furnace.
BlueJay Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:38 PM   #5
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay Traveler View Post
I had nothing but problems with my 2019 26 RBS furnace. I had the same problem as you The first night we brought it home we slept in the camper and the furnace malfunctioned halfway through the night. Same fuse went out and I continued having problems with the furnace for the next year. I took it in at the end of the one-year warranty timeframe and dealer said that I needed a new sales switch. The next spring I took the trailer out and had the same issues. Come to find out my problems were coming from the InCommand and The odd black box (gateway) connected to the Dometic air conditioner. However I could get no help from Dometic or Keystone on replacing this gateway. The way I eliminated the problem and before mentioned suppliers and going back to the dealership was to bypass the InCommand thermostat and connecting an old-fashioned thermostat directly to the furnace and mounted it on the wall by my sink. I have had no troubles ever since and now enjoy camping in cold Wisconsin weather with my keystone cougar.

It is very confusing that my InCommand system runs the air conditioner with no problem yet I always had problems with the furnace.
There's a well-known failure of the Dometic gateway box in this model year with inCommand (I have one), where the furnace fails to operate when the cabin temperature falls below 50°F, and the A/C fails to operate when the cabin temperature rises above 100°F. It's a warranty item if you catch it in time; I regret that you spent your own money and time on replacing the thermostat. If you talk to your dealer and mumble the word "recall" you may be able to get it fixed (I don't think it was technically a recall, but it's worth a try).
Old 12-04-2021, 05:04 AM   #6
Brantel

Had the same issue with one of those crappy cheap plastic breakers. Changed it to a higher quality metal cased one and problem was solved.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:15 AM   #7
Spcaptain

Freeze last night. Having the same problem it seems. Going to get replacement when stores open. as you suggested. Praying this will work.

Update- IT DID
Spcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:52 AM   #8
Spcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts766 View Post
We recently took delivery of a 2021 Cougar 26RBS. On our first camping trip we had to turn the heat on. It worked fine for awhile but then sometime during the first night it quit working. When I turned it off and back on again the blower came on and then the furnace ignited. It stayed on about 10 seconds and shut down. When this happened I noticed a red light on in the fuse panel. I restarted it a few times and same result.
We purchased our TT from Camping World and have access to the RV Tech Line. When the technician called me back he asked me if there was a black fuse in the panel. This is not a fuse but a resettable circuit breaker. He said there is an issue with this breaker not being able to withstand the surge of the burner igniting. He told me to replace it with a standard blue 15 amp ATC fuse.
Since doing this we have not had an issue and the heat is working great.
Our trailer has the In-Command system. The technician said the circuit breaker problem that comes with the Dometic furnace is a known issue. Hopefully this will help someone else having the same issue.
Scotts766
Can’t thank you enough. We had freeze last night and no heat, so discussing returning home to protect our kitties from the cold. Swapped out for another 15amp since stores not opened yet and IT WORKED. Happy dance. Thank you thank you.
Spcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, furnace