Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2021, 07:24 AM   #1
psmith0803

Upgrade water heater

We're looking at upgrading the water heater in our 3530 FWDEN , has anyone successfully installed a 10 or 12 gallon water heater? I've searched the forums and we're kicking around the on demand but they certainly seem problematic and I spend a fair amount of time in hard water country. I was hoping to hear of someone that's actually fitted a bigger unit.

I had no idea a unit of this value would of came with such small water heater. It's my fault for not checking that before purchase, we just fell in love with the floor plan. (I didn't catch it has Trailer king tires either grrrr...) It's headed to the tire store this week to correct that oversight.

Thanks!
psmith0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It is "possible" to install a 10 or 12 gallon water heater in any trailer. The question to ask is: Is it worth the considerable effort to do so?

Your trailer is built with laminated sidewalls that contain an aluminum frame, buried inside rigid foam. To change the configuration of the aluminum frame will mean "delaminating" a part of the frame to access the underlying aluminum structure so it can be modified to "frame the larger water heater"....

If it were my trailer, I'd consider the long term implications of changing the sidewall structure and whether "whoever does the work" will stand behind their modifications in future years. It's not all about the convenience of abundant hot water "right now" but also about the condition of the wall structure 5 or 10 years from now and whether the changes to the original structure will still be "serviceable" at that time.

I've seen trailers where people "cut a hole in the wall" for things like speakers or a range hood vent or a rear camera and in 3 or 4 years, the foam behind the FILON has deteriorated, there's mold in the wall interior, the laminated wall has separated around the cut and no longer is able to support the speaker or the vent framework.

So, take CONSIERABLE time to weigh all your options and don't let the first "handyman with a tool bag" start cutting on your new trailer without knowing all the potential "long term implications" that you might face.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:09 AM   #3
psmith0803

I understand your concerns about moving the metal frame inside the wall structure. I was hoping just maybe the opening was big enough the wall could just be trimmed out further without getting into the metal braces to allow for a big water heater.

I would go to an on demand water heater before I would mess with structural braces inside the wall.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

You will need to know the dimensions of the on demand system your looking at to see if it even fits your current “hole”. Having worked on a bunch of on demand water heaters I can say Truma is the best IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #5
psmith0803

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

You will need to know the dimensions of the on demand system your looking at to see if it even fits your current “hole”. Having worked on a bunch of on demand water heaters I can say Truma is the best IMO.

Those have to be installed by an authorized dealer correct? I read that on their website, not sure if it's up to date or not.

Thanks for the welcome, this is my first RV in 20 years that was not a Forest River.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I don’t know if it has to or not. I haven’t removed a traditional WH and replaced with an on demand, just work on them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #7
Javi

From what I hear, switching from a standard water heater to a tankless may not actually be an upgrade...
Old 04-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Measure the size hole your current water heater sits in and then look at dimensions of a 10 or 12 gallon water heater. I think in our camper we could actually go bigger and will do so if our current water heater dies.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:01 AM   #9
Brantel

Lots of reasons why many people don't like tankless water heaters. This guy has tested most of them and spells out the pro's and con's of many models. Apparently Truma has addressed most of the reasons why some don't like other brands:

https://youtu.be/MXvx5j3gK4U

https://youtu.be/fhVusjZgWQY
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:38 AM   #10
psmith0803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Lots of reasons why many people don't like tankless water heaters. This guy has tested most of them and spells out the pro's and con's of many models. Apparently Truma has addressed most of the reasons why some don't like other brands:

https://youtu.be/MXvx5j3gK4U

https://youtu.be/fhVusjZgWQY

Those are good videos, tons of research leads back to those Truma's but that dealer only installation is hard to get over. I wonder how many sales they loose from that.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:53 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith0803 View Post
Those are good videos, tons of research leads back to those Truma's but that dealer only installation is hard to get over. I wonder how many sales they loose from that.
They lost sales probably offset by the reduction of "warranty" claims by improper installs.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:57 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

You may have bigger issues than the water heater. You don't specify but I assume your trailer is a Sprinter. What year? If it is the one I've looked at the floorplan on, I would worry as much about that 44 gal. total gray capacity as I would the 6 gal. water heater. Looks like they just plumbed the kitchen and bathroom together since they sit back to back. That will be fun.

As far as the water heater, do you stagger showers, dishes etc.? Use LP and electric at the same time? Water saving shower head? I ask because for us (couple) our last 6 gal. tank never gave a hint of running out of hot water so was a non issue to us.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:03 AM   #13
psmith0803

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
They lost sales probably offset by the reduction of "warranty" claims by improper installs.

I dunno it's a super easy installation, gas line, couple water lines and hand full of electrical connections. I would argue replacing a dual fuel fridge is going to be harder.

It is probably just a money grab pure and simple. Although it could be an artificial way to limit sales to match production capabilities.

The three "authorized" dealers within 1.5 hours of me do not even list it on there websites and make no mention at all of them anywhere. I would bet money if I call them up I'll have to remind them they are supposed to sell/install the product.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:15 AM   #14
psmith0803

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You may have bigger issues than the water heater. You don't specify but I assume your trailer is a Sprinter. What year? If it is the one I've looked at the floorplan on, I would worry as much about that 44 gal. total gray capacity as I would the 6 gal. water heater. Looks like they just plumbed the kitchen and bathroom together since they sit back to back. That will be fun.

As far as the water heater, do you stagger showers, dishes etc.? Use LP and electric at the same time? Water saving shower head? I ask because for us (couple) our last 6 gal. tank never gave a hint of running out of hot water so was a non issue to us.

I realize you're stating the obvious in case we're new to RVing but I assure you that is not the case. We've been at it for over 20 years and maybe our 12 gallon tank in our last unit spoiled us but I certainly do not like the idea of buying a brand new RV and having to make comprises on comfort and enjoyment. Where the rubber meets the road it's my fault for not checking it before purchase, I never in a million years thought a unit that has that kinda of MSRP would have the smallest, cheapest water heater on the planet.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:29 AM   #15
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith0803 View Post
I realize you're stating the obvious in case we're new to RVing but I assure you that is not the case. We've been at it for over 20 years and maybe our 12 gallon tank in our last unit spoiled us but I certainly do not like the idea of buying a brand new RV and having to make comprises on comfort and enjoyment. Where the rubber meets the road it's my fault for not checking it before purchase, I never in a million years thought a unit that has that kinda of MSRP would have the smallest, cheapest water heater on the planet.
If you've not had the privilege of a 6 gallon water heater in a while it can be a culture shock going back to one..
Old 04-20-2021, 06:42 AM   #16
psmith0803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
If you've not had the privilege of a 6 gallon water heater in a while it can be a culture shock going back to one..

That is no kidding, my wife was yelling at me like she's not done in years! I thought I was going to have to find a doghouse at the RV park to sleep in....
Old 04-20-2021, 07:07 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

If you are coming from a 12 gal. then the adjustment to the 6 gal. probably IS a bit of a hardship. Looking at the Sprinter line it appears that all of them come with 6 gal. water heaters without an option for anything else. Depending on floorplan the DO have larger gray water holding tanks than the model you have.

I've not heard of anyone converting a 6gal. OE tank to a larger one. It may have been done but I've not seen it. When looking at yours does the enclosure where it sits currently even look like it would be possible? In my last trailer it might have been possible because there was quite a bit of room inside that particular enclosure BUT either the floor would have had to be dropped and a sub floor installed to lower the panel for the outside or the exterior wall would have had to be modified to the extreme. A cursory overview told me that it was not feasible.

Have you measured the exterior portion of a 10 or 12 gal. tank? Would it fit the existing hole without much or any modification? I ask because the exterior cutout for our last 6 gal. sure seemed to be about the size of the 12gal. but don't know exactly.

When you take stock of what it will entail it may or may not be advisable....or economical. We got by for decades with a 6gal. and it wasn't too much of a hardship. I know it seems like a step backward but the cost to gain something so small may not be worth it. You will make that final call. As far as on demand, I wouldn't have one. Good luck and I fully understand "happy wife = happy life".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #18
psmith0803

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you are coming from a 12 gal. then the adjustment to the 6 gal. probably IS a bit of a hardship. Looking at the Sprinter line it appears that all of them come with 6 gal. water heaters without an option for anything else. Depending on floorplan the DO have larger gray water holding tanks than the model you have.

I've not heard of anyone converting a 6gal. OE tank to a larger one. It may have been done but I've not seen it. When looking at yours does the enclosure where it sits currently even look like it would be possible? In my last trailer it might have been possible because there was quite a bit of room inside that particular enclosure BUT either the floor would have had to be dropped and a sub floor installed to lower the panel for the outside or the exterior wall would have had to be modified to the extreme. A cursory overview told me that it was not feasible.

Have you measured the exterior portion of a 10 or 12 gal. tank? Would it fit the existing hole without much or any modification? I ask because the exterior cutout for our last 6 gal. sure seemed to be about the size of the 12gal. but don't know exactly.

When you take stock of what it will entail it may or may not be advisable....or economical. We got by for decades with a 6gal. and it wasn't too much of a hardship. I know it seems like a step backward but the cost to gain something so small may not be worth it. You will make that final call. As far as on demand, I wouldn't have one. Good luck and I fully understand "happy wife = happy life".

It appears to me either the 10 or 12 gallon options are around 16.5" give or take and my current 6 is 12.5" Will not be a direct fit for sure. I do have some room but I'm not sure it's 4" side to side. I have that up and down. I think many of the on demand are closer to the 12" or 13" openings.

My fear is the side to side is hemmed in with metal studs inside the lam wall and I cannot adjust the width at all. At this point I think I'll have to pull the unit and see exactly what is on the sides. and how much room I have to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	33082  
Old 04-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #19
psmith0803

Anyone have any experience with a precision temp rv-550 ec ? I liked the truma but I'm no where near a service center and I would not take a lawn mower trailer to the "authorized" dealers in my area. I've had to remove them from contention.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:25 AM   #20
larryflew

Can't tell if you can go from smaller to 10 or 12 but can tell you the 10 and 12 are the same physical outside dimensions but the 10 is considerably less money. Our Alpine came with a 12 that died. Where in a bind $$ wise at the time and did the 10 hoping it would provide enough hot water for the boss to take her typical forever shower. No problem. Amazon was the cheapest when we did ours and has all the dimensions listed so you should be able to determine if your idea will work.

Tags
heat, heater, upgrade, water, water heater