Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2021, 03:54 AM   #41
Wereynolds

I am going to replace my TK tires with Carlisle as many of you have suggested, but there are a couple of choices in my size. 235/80/16. The difference between the two choices is confusing me. Can someone please tell me which one I should be looking for.
Wereynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:34 AM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wereynolds View Post
I am going to replace my TK tires with Carlisle as many of you have suggested, but there are a couple of choices in my size. 235/80/16. The difference between the two choices is confusing me. Can someone please tell me which one I should be looking for.

There are several choices in that size. What are you confused about? Looks like your trailer came with LRE tires (if still OE) and has a gvwr of 12,450.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #43
Wereynolds

Maybe I was seeing the 85s and wasn’t paying enough attention. I guess my question would be will there be only one tire in my size? A quick look on Amazon shows the Radial Trail HD with 124L. Wasn’t sure if Carlisle offered different ratings for each tire size.
Wereynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #44
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think the above process is unrealistic for regular folks...sitting on the side of the road with a blowout on the RV, wheel well and side in shreds, 100 degrees outside fighting with all the tools to get the blasted failed tire off. Once replaced and the failed tire in the bed of the truck the last, very last, thing I want to do is start documenting the failure, taking pics and writing down info, so I can send it to a government agency that will not do a thing about it....in my lifetime - while I'm sweating, dirty and 2 hours behind schedule. Naw, all I want to do is set fire to the offending tire and replace them all with new ones....but that's just me.

I understand your feelings. But if you had recorded the tire DOT serial as I have recommended numerous times in forums and on my blog, you would not need to do anything while you are "sweating, dirty and 2 hours behind schedule." You can file the report days or even weeks later. NHTSA can not do anything without sufficient complaints on file to justify them starting an expensive investigation. Costs come out of their budget which is limited by Congress. Without an investigation there can be no finding and without a finding of an actual "defect", no recall can be ordered. As I have written in my blog, a major reason there are not many recalls of RV tires is primarily IMO because many/most RV owners share your feelings and can't be bothered to file complaints.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:22 AM   #45
Tireman9

Quote:

First we need to have the correct and complete tire size.
There are letters in front of the numbers on Passenger "P", Light Truck "LT" and Special Trailer "ST" type tires. It is important for you to know what you have. There is also a Certification Label AKA "Tire Placard" on the driver side, outside toward the front of the trailer that lists both the GAWR (max load on an axle) and the tire size, including Load Range "C", "D" or "E".
You can take a picture and PM me if you need help understanding the numbers and letters.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:56 AM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I understand your feelings. But if you had recorded the tire DOT serial as I have recommended numerous times in forums and on my blog, you would not need to do anything while you are "sweating, dirty and 2 hours behind schedule." You can file the report days or even weeks later. NHTSA can not do anything without sufficient complaints on file to justify them starting an expensive investigation. Costs come out of their budget which is limited by Congress. Without an investigation there can be no finding and without a finding of an actual "defect", no recall can be ordered. As I have written in my blog, a major reason there are not many recalls of RV tires is primarily IMO because many/most RV owners share your feelings and can't be bothered to file complaints.

I believe the above statement is correct. IMO I have better things to do than take the time to document all that, submit it to a government agency that will just "record" it (maybe) then go on down the road and what will happen, will happen whether I did it or not. I feel much more confident reading of real life events and real users opinions vs a hit and/or miss document/summation from a befuddled agency.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:09 AM   #47
Tireman9

Quote:
I believe the above statement is correct. IMO I have better things to do than take the time to document all that, submit it to a government agency that will just "record" it (maybe) then go on down the road and what will happen, will happen whether I did it or not. I feel much more confident reading of real life events and real users opinions vs a hit and/or miss document/summation from a befuddled agency.

Well we can disagree. I know that as a car owner i have over the years,received various notices of recall for bits on my cars. I would be surprised if you have not. All these recalls came about because enough people made the 5 minute effort to file complaints which is what DOT requires before they can "waste" money doing investigations.

IMO if you can't be bothered to spend the 5 minutes to file a tire or product complaint why do you expect the quality of anything to get better? Filing a complaint is a bit like "paying it Forward". You may not benefit but others might, just as you have benefited from complaints about product quality or safety made in the past.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #48
CWtheMan

Filing a complaint.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:51 AM   #49
CWtheMan

Quote:
A tire's proper designation is it's size. For designated size ST235/80R16 there are three distinct load capacities, LRE, LRF and LRG. The tire's load range is not part of it's designated size. Each load range letter provides a different maximum load capacity and PSI value to get there.

All the information you seek is molded onto the tire sidewall. Each individual brand has their own way of displaying tire speed, load and PSI rating. In the picture below all are together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IRV-2 pix file - 3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	33163
Old 04-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Well we can disagree. I know that as a car owner i have over the years,received various notices of recall for bits on my cars. I would be surprised if you have not. All these recalls came about because enough people made the 5 minute effort to file complaints which is what DOT requires before they can "waste" money doing investigations.

IMO if you can't be bothered to spend the 5 minutes to file a tire or product complaint why do you expect the quality of anything to get better? Filing a complaint is a bit like "paying it Forward". You may not benefit but others might, just as you have benefited from complaints about product quality or safety made in the past.

I agree we can disagree plus it takes longer than 5 minutes to do all the documentation then file complaints. My question would be, of all those tire recalls you've received (maybe me)/complaints you've filed, how many sets of new tires have you received (rhetorical)? And I won't belabor the point any longer.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #51
linux3

My TT is a 2016 reg but the tires were TK 2014.
In 2017 I blew a tire on a very rutty dirt road.
Put on the spare and when I got home I replaced all 4 tires with TK because that what was available.

On to 2021. I again replaced all 4 with TK because I don't want problems on the road and again that was what was available.

Yes, there are lots of different brands and lots of opinions.
I very seldom go over 65 MPH. I check tire pressure often. I check bearings for heat.

Every 3 ~ 4 years I plan to replace the TT tires.
I don't think brand matters as much as good mainenance.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #52
Uncoolron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
I have TK tires on my 2021 Cougar. There is a dedicated group on Facebook that has discussed these tires to death. I understand that the early TK RST tires were comparable to Goodyear Marathons which had similar problems. Then the company that makes the TK tires did a redesign sometime in early 2019 that cured several issues. Checking the date code on my tires, they were manufactured around early-mid November of 2019 meaning they are the newer design. The speed rating on the tires is M, meaning they are rated for about 80 MPH. With all that said, I decided, for my piece of mine, to add a Tire Minder TPMS system. I inspect my tires before each trip and check my tire pressure on a regular basis. So far, we've ridden approximately 1500 miles since new. We expect to do another 2000 miles or so this year.
Thanks for this information because my 2021 Cougar has the exact tires as yours but the manufacturer date is around October of 2020 so this brings me a little peace of mind with luck of course. Now I need to save to up for the TPMs. My upgrade budget went towards the purchase of EMS and 50 Amps extension cord because ours came with 15 foot only and of course our first camping we were 5 foot short from the pedestal so we lost 5 foot of parking spot for the truck.
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncoolron View Post
Thanks for this information because my 2021 Cougar has the exact tires as yours but the manufacturer date is around October of 2020 so this brings me a little peace of mind with luck of course. Now I need to save to up for the TPMs. My upgrade budget went towards the purchase of EMS and 50 Amps extension cord because ours came with 15 foot only and of course our first camping we were 5 foot short from the pedestal so we lost 5 foot of parking spot for the truck.

Hey Ron you just bought that trailer didn't you? I think I'd be marching right down to that dealer with that 15' cable, pick out a 30-36' one, take them to your salesman/sales manager and advise them you are making a swap. They ripped you off on that one.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #54
Uncoolron

Quote:
Hey Ron you just bought that trailer didn't you? I think I'd be marching right down to that dealer with that 15' cable, pick out a 30-36' one, take them to your salesman/sales manager and advise them you are making a swap. They ripped you off on that one.
Man, I have no idea I have that option. I will definitely call my salesman come Monday and I will return the brand new 15 foot extension that I just bought that is still in the box. Thank you Sourdough!
Old 04-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncoolron View Post
Man, I have no idea I have that option. I will definitely call my salesman come Monday and I will return the brand new 15 foot extension that I just bought that is still in the box. Thank you Sourdough!

Although the deal is done I'm sure they realize that a 15' power cable is not right. I can count on one hand the sites I've had that 15' would get me power (my last few have had power outlets at the back). Now some would have probably worked if I went and bought yet another water and/or sewer hose extension but..... Seems like they were taking advantage of someone new.

I will say the trailer before this (2014), 50A, had a 36' cable. This trailer had a new, in the box 25' cable sitting in the pass thru on walk through. I told them that wouldn't work and the PDI guy said "that's what we are giving now". I had just purchased (used once) a new 36' cable for the trade in so I took the new box, put it in the old trailer and brought my 36 footer from it.

Hopefully they will do right by you and good luck.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:55 PM   #56
Uncoolron

Quote:
Although the deal is done I'm sure they realize that a 15' power cable is not right. I can count on one hand the sites I've had that 15' would get me power (my last few have had power outlets at the back). Now some would have probably worked if I went and bought yet another water and/or sewer hose extension but..... Seems like they were taking advantage of someone new.

I will say the trailer before this (2014), 50A, had a 36' cable. This trailer had a new, in the box 25' cable sitting in the pass thru on walk through. I told them that wouldn't work and the PDI guy said "that's what we are giving now". I had just purchased (used once) a new 36' cable for the trade in so I took the new box, put it in the old trailer and brought my 36 footer from it.

Hopefully they will do right by you and good luck.

Okay, I called the RV Dealership Manager earlier and was told they can not give me longer power cord for free or in exchange because the 15 Foot power cable I have is what came from the RV manufacturer. But they offered to sell me a discounted extension cord through my free Good Sam membership.

Anyway, enough with my issue and sorry OP for jacking your thread.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #57
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post

Yes, there are lots of different brands and lots of opinions.
I very seldom go over 65 MPH. I check tire pressure often. I check bearings for heat.

Every 3 ~ 4 years I plan to replace the TT tires.
I don't think brand matters as much as good mainenance.
I'll be swapping them out in a year or two (these are about 8 months old now), and will go with another brand, but I often wonder if a lot of these failures could be attributed to mishandling....running them too fast or under-inflated. Hearing about the ones that blow (or are caught just before blowing) doesn't give you a datapoint on what must be many hundreds of thousands of trailers without issue.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #58
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
I'll be swapping them out in a year or two (these are about 8 months old now), and will go with another brand, but I often wonder if a lot of these failures could be attributed to mishandling....running them too fast or under-inflated. Hearing about the ones that blow (or are caught just before blowing) doesn't give you a datapoint on what must be many hundreds of thousands of trailers without issue.
It was "just last year" that RVIA mandated a specific reserve capacity for trailer tires. Prior to that, an RV manufacturer could put tires that were "rated to the maximum axle weight rating. As an example, a 3500 pound axle could be equipped with two tires rated at 1750 each. That left NO room for tire aging, side to side imbalance, hitting a pot hole, overloading or mis-loading the trailer, even the weight of a single roll of toilet paper.....

Back then, there was no "reserve capacity" so a delivery driver towing too fast, towing underinflated or hitting a pothole could have pushed the tire performance to its limit much more often than a trailer today with a 15 or 25% reserve capacity. Today's tires will withstand much more "abuse" because of the reserve that just wasn't present on tires that were installed "at their maximum".

That changed last year with the reserve capacity mandate by RVIA...

I think that nearly all the "problems with ST tires" that you read about, if you check the date of the post, will be prior to 2019 or 2020. There is the "occasional problem post" that we'll continue to read, but the vast majority of "unexpected tire explosions" occurred before the requirement to maintain a reserve tire capacity...

That said, and I hope I'm wrong, but I expect that next year or the year after, the "unexpected tire explosions" are going to start appearing again.... Why??? Because ST tires suffer from weakening and aging at a rate of around 10% per year. That means the tires on a trailer bought in 2020 will be "OK for about a year or two with the new required tire reserve before they "hit bare minimum", then, in a year they'll have lost another 10% and that puts them at 80 or 90% of required capacity and the "booms will resume"...

That's why it's important to change out ST tires that are a specific age, even if they "still look like new"... They "dry rot from the inside out" and all that Aerospace 303 or another tire dressing that makes them "look good" doesn't protect the "baked inside the rubber polyester cord"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #59
Rocketsled

Our 2017’s were on their way out in 2020...I’m betting that’s all you can expect out of the TKs
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #60
CWtheMan

1st it was Mission, then GY Marathons-USA, GY Marathons-China and then TowMax and back to Marathons-China. Now we get 60 posts on TKs. Hmmm??? Makes one wonder where the real culprit hangs-out.

Tags
tires