Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
RamRod78

Smile 2021 Hideout 26BHWE - Issues, mods, etc...

So here's my new unit ready for some family adventures. First TT, basic unit but so much better than our old tent!

Gonna track some of the mods and issues (found a few already) here.
RamRod78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
Javi

Congratulations, nice looking rig..
Old 04-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
RamRod78

First thing I had a giggle at... "Solar Ready" = 1ft of wires from this plug on the front of the frame directly to the battery... At least they included a 15A fuse!

Old 04-01-2021, 09:47 AM   #4
RamRod78

PDI Issues

PDI Picked up the following:

Range Hood - Lights not working properly - New unit on order
Fridge Door - Dents - Replacement on order
Kitchen Backsplash - Damaged - Replacement on order

Various Loose Trim & Staples - All fixed on site.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
RamRod78

Rear Camera - Haloview 7109

My unit is pre-wired for a Furrion.

I purchased a Haloview 7109 that comes with the mounting plate for the pre-installed mount and an adaptor cable... Plug'n'play!

Yeah right... Got it installed, plugged in the 7-pin, turned on the lights.... Nothing

Pulled the center marker light to see what was connected and found this:

Nice... Totally safe

Cut the mess out, connected it properly and wrapped with tape... Camera working!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #6
RamRod78

Roof Vent Cover

First roof mod was a vent cover... 4 of us and a dog in there, especially when it rains, I figured we could use the air!

Pretty easy install. and a good chance to inspect the roof fully. Found a couple of spots of Dicor that appear to be lifting. Will add to the dealer "90-Day Fix" list or top-it up myself soon.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Your next post will likely be about rodent control! Had mice in my camper and took 17 different tactics and at least one worked. Seal with expand spray foam. I bought a couple of those sonic pest control gizmos (yeah, I know), traps, bait, essential oil spray, etc etc. Not sure which did the trick but found a couple of dead mice and no more living running around that I can see. Not sure how you got one inside the wall of your camper but those buggers can get through teeny gaps. Also, put your food in good sealed containers and the trash in a can that has a lid that shuts tight.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
RamRod78

Easy Interior Mods...

First thing the wife did was order a different mattress... It was a fair bit heavier than the stock foam and the bed-lift would not hold it.

Quick and easy swap with stronger struts found on Amazon:

Also picked up a lockable TV mount for the TV we haven't bought yet... Don't really need a TV, but need something to occupy the kids on rainy days.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #9
RamRod78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Your next post will likely be about rodent control! Had mice in my camper and took 17 different tactics and at least one worked. Seal with expand spray foam. I bought a couple of those sonic pest control gizmos (yeah, I know), traps, bait, essential oil spray, etc etc. Not sure which did the trick but found a couple of dead mice and no more living running around that I can see. Not sure how you got one inside the wall of your camper but those buggers can get through teeny gaps. Also, put your food in good sealed containers and the trash in a can that has a lid that shuts tight.
Thankfully no sign of rodents... Underbelly has all entry points foamed and storage yard has traps everywhere.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #10
RamRod78

One we missed on the PDI

I guess we forgot to close the bedroom pocket door on the PDI...

Caused by a staple that hadnt set:

Added to the dealer's "90-Day Fix" list along with another couple of trim panels that have come loose. Looks like plenty of screws/staples that didnt hit a stud.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #11
wobly

I enjoy seeing mod threads like this. You seem to have a good attitude that some things will go wrong and you have the choice to be bitter about it, or just repair what you can and improve things the way you like.

Keep up the good work and keep the mods coming!
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #12
RamRod78

Water Leak!

We had some wet snow last week... but the sun came out, so I decided to give the unit it's first pull as a shakedown. All good until we got inside:

Water on the dinette. Wasn't there when I hooked up? Found this inside the AC cover:

Traced the source to where the roof meets the AC:

On closer inspection, I cant find a seal/gasket. I can even see daylight despite the bolts being tightened to spec:

Have dried the area out with towels, ran the furnace for a while, added a chemical dehumidifier, and levelled the unit so the water runs down away from the AC and not back past it (it was slightly nose up before). Looks like rain will be ok, but the melting snow got dammed up against the edge of the unit. Gotta get it fixed pretty quick though.

Called dealer - They are booking 2 weeks out, and want it for 2 weeks. Our first trip is in 3 weeks for my 6yr olds' birthday. Hoping the dealer works with us a bit to get this sorted ASAP.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
RamRod78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobly View Post
I enjoy seeing mod threads like this. You seem to have a good attitude that some things will go wrong and you have the choice to be bitter about it, or just repair what you can and improve things the way you like.

Keep up the good work and keep the mods coming!
Thanks!

Yeah, not too many units available right now so it's deal with what you've got or not go camping for another season.

Was expecting issues, especially on an entry-level unit. Pretty easy to fix these wood-framed units at least.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #14
RamRod78

First real trip....

Managed to get out for an early season trip in the snow and temps hovering either side of freezing.

First time using the Anderson levelers and made it super easy for me to set-up on my own.

Gave the "Cold Mountain Package" a run for it's money and filled the fresh water tank to test the water system out. Burned a bit of propane to keep the underbelly from freezing, but worked well.

Found the Water Pump only held by one screw (all 4 screws there, only one through a pump foot!), the pump outlet dripping, the city water interior connection dripping and no washer in one of the low-point drain caps. All easy fixes... But make sure to unscrew all those panels and inspect everything!!

When checking the low-point caps I also found this:

That pipe is well and truly pinched between the frame and floor (how did i not see this at PDI?!). Didn't affect any of the water system, so I think it may be the Sani-Flush line. Added to the dealer 90day list along with the bedroom Exit window that doesn't seal at the top and is a water entry point.

Anyhoo... I swapped out the drain caps with ball valves to fix the drip:

These made draining and blowing-out the lines a breeze.

Got the TV in which kept the kids happy:

Also upgraded my fire-protection and mounted these guys in addition to the tiny included one by the door an the one already in my truck:

The unit is back to the dealer this week to address all the issues so far...

Iain

2021 Hideout 26BHWE
2019 GMC Sierra 1500 5.2l
Old 04-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

You know, your attitude is refreshing. Most folks buy a camper in this crazy pandemic era that is not 100 percent perfect and start screaming LAW SUIT and condemning Keystone employees as satan's henchmen. Looks like once you have gone through this initial sorting phase you and your family will be golden. BTW: It is almost May and you are mentioning snow. Please don't use that word as it makes me very uncomfortable brrrrrrr.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
You know, your attitude is refreshing. Most folks buy a camper in this crazy pandemic era that is not 100 percent perfect and start screaming LAW SUIT and condemning Keystone employees as satan's henchmen. Looks like once you have gone through this initial sorting phase you and your family will be golden. BTW: It is almost May and you are mentioning snow. Please don't use that word as it makes me very uncomfortable brrrrrrr.
I agree. Good job.... the difference between your family having a fantastic weekend and a miserable one is sometimes nothing more then your attitude
Old 04-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^Amen. Some of RamRod's issues would have had some folks howling and screaming the world had come to an end. Taking it in stride and working it out.....that's the way to do it.

Gotta love those Andersens. They do simplify setting up. And that's not a bad place to be setting up Ramrod. Glad you had a good trip.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #18
RamRod78

Quote:
BTW: It is almost May and you are mentioning snow. Please don't use that word as it makes me very uncomfortable brrrrrrr.
Ha... This is Alberta, it can snow every month of the year

Iain

2021 Hideout 26BHWE
Old 04-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #19
RamRod78

Quote:
You know, your attitude is refreshing. Most folks buy a camper in this crazy pandemic era that is not 100 percent perfect and start screaming LAW SUIT and condemning Keystone employees as satan's henchmen. Looks like once you have gone through this initial sorting phase you and your family will be golden. uncomfortable brrrrrrr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I agree. Good job.... the difference between your family having a fantastic weekend and a miserable one is sometimes nothing more then your attitude
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^Amen. Some of RamRod's issues would have had some folks howling and screaming the world had come to an end. Taking it in stride and working it out.....that's the way to do it.

Gotta love those Andersens. They do simplify setting up. And that's not a bad place to be setting up Ramrod. Glad you had a good trip.
Thanks all... I knew what to expect in an entry-level unit, and it sure beats being in a tent! Helps that I like DIY too.

10 days 'till our next trip out. Forecast is calling for ~30mm Rain and/or 5cm snow... Fun times!

Iain

2021 Hideout 26BHWE
Old 04-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Nice job, great attitude! Supposed to be in the 80's here the next two days.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout, mod, mods