Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #21
nellie1289

My only comment to the original poster is with a diesel it really doesn’t matter how heavy your fiver is. I’m getting the same mileage with my 2021 Montana as I did with the 2015 cougar. Montana weighs 4K more. On average I’m getting about 10.5 overall. Good luck with your new setup it is a beauty !
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:57 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
GM's GVWR is 11350 on a 3/4 ton? Sure makes for a nice payload bump! Is this new for 2021? Anyone know the changes made that allowed the increase?

Yeah, seems they have come up with a scheme for the new GMs to boost the payload for the diesels. I figure we'll see all of them start doing that....and then what about the 1 tons! Oh joy!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:46 AM   #23
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #24
marine9007

I believe this was bumped up for 2021 but not sure exactly.
USMC Veteran
marine9007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:31 AM   #25
marine9007

I purchased a Sherline (LM5) 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch Weight Scale to check my pin weight before I travel and adjust load and location to stay in the safe, balanced range:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
USMC Veteran
marine9007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #26
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine9007 View Post
Hi All - New member checking in. Been camping all my life, and recently traded in my Sierra truck and APEX trailer (5 years) for a new Silverado 2500HD diesel and new Montana HC 337RL.

My wife and I are excited to hit the road and someday meet some of you as well!

Cheers!
Since you already bought the truck, the only way to know where you are on weights is to take your truck and trailer to the scales fully loaded with all your “stuff” in both, truck full of fuel. Weigh your truck alone, then again with your trailer. You will then have the “real world” weights you need to determine if you are over or under weight and by how much. I suspect you might be overweight. How much water you carry will make a big difference as well. I carry approximately 15 gallons in my fresh water tank and hot water tank is 12 gal. Thats 216 pounds of weight right there. Black and grey tanks empty. If you are overweight and don’t want to trade your brand new truck for a 1 ton, you have legal and safe modification options to get your certified payload to where it needs to be, and its not airbags. You can PM me and I can tell you how to get DOT certified modifications. Safe travels!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #27
glendar10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Since you already bought the truck, the only way to know where you are on weights is to take your truck and trailer to the scales fully loaded with all your “stuff” in both, truck full of fuel. Weigh your truck alone, then again with your trailer. You will then have the “real world” weights you need to determine if you are over or under weight and by how much. I suspect you might be overweight. How much water you carry will make a big difference as well. I carry approximately 15 gallons in my fresh water tank and hot water tank is 12 gal. Thats 216 pounds of weight right there. Black and grey tanks empty. If you are overweight and don’t want to trade your brand new truck for a 1 ton, you have legal and safe modification options to get your certified payload to where it needs to be, and its not airbags. You can PM me and I can tell you how to get DOT certified modifications. Safe travels!
how do you PM mikelff
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #28
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I would get the CAT scale app for your smartphone and get everything weighed for piece of mind...load up everything like your going camping..including the people going on trip ( or add there weights in)...weigh the trailer and truck first then disconnect the trailer in a empty space at the truck stop and reweigh just the truck...this will give you pin weight and true trailer weight....here is my truck and trailer weights with my old 2500 truck... my trailer is about 2000 lbs lighter in gvwr...my pin weight was 2460lbs with packing light

I wish more people that post here would understand that it really is this simple. Once you have the numbers all you need to do is double check that you haven't exceeded any axle rating, tire rating, GVWR for the individual units, GCWR for the truck and finally whatever registration you paid for.

Notice that I didn't mention the yellow payload sticker, because if you meet all of the above numbers, you are fine.

I really believe that people post here knowing they are over on one of the weights and are just looking for affirmation from someone that they are "OK." Unfortunately they will get almost always get at least one person that says they are over and their truck "handles it just fine."

These same issues come up on forums dealing with hauling heavy equipment, except the people are usually farther out of limits and the group that says "send it", it even larger.

Anyway, thanks for your weight tickets. Can't make it any simpler than that.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
I wish more people that post here would understand that it really is this simple. Once you have the numbers all you need to do is double check that you haven't exceeded any axle rating, tire rating, GVWR for the individual units, GCWR for the truck and finally whatever registration you paid for.

Notice that I didn't mention the yellow payload sticker, because if you meet all of the above numbers, you are fine.

I really believe that people post here knowing they are over on one of the weights and are just looking for affirmation from someone that they are "OK." Unfortunately they will get almost always get at least one person that says they are over and their truck "handles it just fine."

These same issues come up on forums dealing with hauling heavy equipment, except the people are usually farther out of limits and the group that says "send it", it even larger.

Note the red above. Todd you are right but many/most of the folks that come here and ask weight questions have never been to a scale and most have no idea plus many times they don't even own the prospective trailer, truck or both. In that event the "yellow sticker" becomes relevant because it is the only way an owner has any idea of what they have or can get. Same goes with the approximations used for trailer tongue/pin weights etc. Most of the time you deal with unknowns to the owner, and anyone else trying to help, so approximations and educated guesses are what's left......and that requires that yellow sticker.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:59 AM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post

Also NONE of those weights should be exceeded even the payload.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana