Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
Spletbr

Looking for tires

My 2020 High Country has ST235/80R16F tires by Ranier. I wanted to upgrade and have good things about Sailun, Carlisle and GY Endurance. Local tire dealer tried to sell me a set up Endurance tires but then I researched more and found out they were only E rated. I’m F. I saw some Carlisle tires but they were also E and the Sailuns were G I believe. Any good suggestions for upgrades? Thanks!
Cooper and Penny (pups)
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Mine came with the same tires. I had them put the Sailun LRG tires on it before I ever even saw it. They are a bit of overkill but not a lot IMO. I was worried about a rough ride but we've not experienced it; no open doors, loose screws etc. I decided I would take my chances with them vs the Raniers. Make sure the wheels are rated for 110psi if you do; mine were.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
Spletbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Mine came with the same tires. I had them put the Sailun LRG tires on it before I ever even saw it. They are a bit of overkill but not a lot IMO. I was worried about a rough ride but we've not experienced it; no open doors, loose screws etc. I decided I would take my chances with them vs the Raniers. Make sure the wheels are rated for 110psi if you do; mine were.
Thanks. Where do I see the wheel rating? Also, does it take much longer to top off the air pressure, 110psi seems like a lot!
Cooper and Penny (pups)
Old 03-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #4
CWtheMan

This is why I don't get into name brands. Your current LRF tires will provide you with more than 22% in load capacity reserves. Six years ago that was unheard of with ST tires. I could get it if you had a fancy car and wanted better looking tires. But trading perfectly good tires because of Look it up anecdotal/unsubstantiated feedback information I don't get.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spletbr View Post
Thanks. Where do I see the wheel rating? Also, does it take much longer to top off the air pressure, 110psi seems like a lot!
Same as it would if you're topping them off at 80 lbs, provided you have a compressor capable of 110+lbs.
Hopefully you're not having to top off from 0 to 110 but once & the tire dealer will/should do it for you.
I would also recommend the Sailuns!
I'd replace the Rainiers not due to their lack of rated weight reserve capacity, but due their reputation, which by the way is very very poor, why chance it. Take the Rainiers & sell them to a farmer or someone to put on a utility trailer that won't blow out the entire side of the trailer WHEN they blow.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #6
Cbrez

I recommend G rated tires. That was the first upgrade we did within one month of purchasing our RV. Been cross country twice now and have never had a tire failure.

It takes no longer to top of a 110psi tire than any other tire. I carry a Viair pump with me so I air up the tire whenever needed.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
This is why I don't get into name brands. Your current LRF tires will provide you with more than 22% in load capacity reserves. Six years ago that was unheard of with ST tires. I could get it if you had a fancy car and wanted better looking tires. But trading perfectly good tires because of antidotal/unsubstantiated feedback information I don't get.

What's unsubstantiated? That the OP wants different tires (see his post and question)? That I took Raniers off and put on Sailuns (see my post)? That Sailuns have been recommended (see these posts and a zillion others)? Didn't see anything poisonous so don't think there was any antidote required for any of them.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #8
tech740

Did anyone notice that the Sailun site shows an 8 year warranty now? Not sure I would run them that long but that makes them less $$ per year of ownership if they can be run almost twice as long as others.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
What's unsubstantiated? That the OP wants different tires (see his post and question)? That I took Raniers off and put on Sailuns (see my post)? That Sailuns have been recommended (see these posts and a zillion others)? Didn't see anything poisonous so don't think there was any antidote required for any of them.
Sorry, auto spell checker must have got me. Anecdotal is correct.

In the past almost all OE tires were inferior - weight capacity wise - when replaced by tires with increaser weight capacity the problem disappeared. Back then Sailun was not an OEM tire but a go to replacement with more load capacity, hence, a better reputation.

There have been millions on top of millions of China ST tires manufactured in this country and not a single recall for gum stripping which is one of the first indications of faulty manufacturing.

If failure reporting would include the cause of the failure, a more accurate assessment of a brand could be made. Otherwise, IMO, it's just name calling from dissatisfaction/misunderstanding.

The best reference I have for OE tire abuse comes from Keystone and I have a picture of the vehicle certification label to support it.

ST225/75R15 LRD tires have a maximum load capacity of 2540# at 65 PSI. Once upon a time Keystone de-rated 5200# axles to vehicle certified 5084# and installed those - 65 mph - tires described above. Of course when they failed they became "China Bombs". They were GY Marathons.

Cahoots is what it often looks like. We purchased our 2003 Keystone Everest new from a dealer. It had vehicle certified 6000# axles. the OE tires were USA made GY Marathons. They were ST235/80R16 LRD - 65 MPH tires - with a maximum load capacity of 3000# at 80 PSI. Every one of them had tread separations in the first 6-8 months. (My researching trailer tires started then). In years 2005-2007 the China tire builders quit building that tire in a LRD. The LRE were slow in coming so Keystone along with a lot of other trailer builders went with LT235/85R16 LRE tires rated at 3042# of load capacity at 80 PSI. A few of those were from popular manufacturers...They failed. With established studies, NHTSA has said that 47% or RV trailers have at least one tire underinflated/overloaded tire. That condition has to result in unsubstantiated failures.

Keystone really likes to build multi axle trailers with as little separation as possible. Ours was 32" which prevented the use of any tire built to 235/85R16 dimensions.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #10
RickV

I have put over 30000 miles over the last 3 years on a set of Saliun 637's and they still look like new and I haven't had the first problem.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry, auto spell checker must have got me. Anecdotal is correct.

In the past almost all OE tires were inferior - weight capacity wise - when replaced by tires with increaser weight capacity the problem disappeared. Back then Sailun was not an OEM tire but a go to replacement with more load capacity, hence, a better reputation.

There have been millions on top of millions of China ST tires manufactured in this country and not a single recall for gum stripping which is one of the first indications of faulty manufacturing.

If failure reporting would include the cause of the failure, a more accurate assessment of a brand could be made. Otherwise, IMO, it's just name calling from dissatisfaction/misunderstanding.

The best reference I have for OE tire abuse comes from Keystone and I have a picture of the vehicle certification label to support it.

ST225/75R15 LRD tires have a maximum load capacity of 2540# at 65 PSI. Once upon a time Keystone de-rated 5200# axles to vehicle certified 5084# and installed those - 65 mph - tires described above. Of course when they failed they became "China Bombs". They were GY Marathons.

Cahoots is what it often looks like. We purchased our 2003 Keystone Everest new from a dealer. It had vehicle certified 6000# axles. the OE tires were USA made GY Marathons. They were ST235/80R16 LRD - 65 MPH tires - with a maximum load capacity of 3000# at 80 PSI. Every one of them had tread separations in the first 6-8 months. (My researching trailer tires started then). In years 2005-2007 the China tire builders quit building that tire in a LRD. The LRE were slow in coming so Keystone along with a lot of other trailer builders went with LT235/85R16 LRE tires rated at 3042# of load capacity at 80 PSI. A few of those were from popular manufacturers...They failed. With established studies, NHTSA has said that 47% or RV trailers have at least one tire underinflated/overloaded tire. That condition has to result in unsubstantiated failures.

Keystone really likes to build multi axle trailers with as little separation as possible. Ours was 32" which prevented the use of any tire built to 235/85R16 dimensions.

All I get is that you think that one should not have a tire preference - they're all the same because anything bad that has been said is unsubstantiated and....they're all the same.

Unfortunately folks have tire preferences just like cars, trucks, appliances, airlines, shoes etc. etc. etc. Maybe it's because they believe they have a better track record; maybe a sturdier tire....maybe they like the name or writing on the sidewall! Given the previous, folks will then have tires that they don't like - for the same reasons.

The OP said he wanted to change tire brands; to upgrade. He was given recommendations from folks with experience for tires they considered an upgrade. You don't like why they came to those conclusions and disagree - that's fine. But, those preferences that folks have developed from experience are far different from the reasoning you use to blanket justify that all tires "are the same" - they aren't.

Until someone can post definitive numbers from the NHTSA that say the tires people don't like actually don't have failures, or they are all caused by owner abuse, then the conjectures you make are just that (and they do not have those stats) - just based on the same thing as the others with "opinions" or "preferences".
Old 03-07-2021, 05:32 PM   #12
ChuckS

With the weight of that High Country fifth wheel E rated tires are a joke.. G rated 14 ply tires would be all I’d have... period

Verify what your wheels are rated at for psi ( stamped on backside of wheel usually) and run only all metal valve stems

For me the tires of choice are..
1. Sailun S637 series
2. Hercules 901 series

Both excellent tires and will give you many miles and years of trouble free towing if kept inflated properly, covered to minimize UV damage, and common sense towing speeds of 62 to 65 mph

My current 14 ply tires are now 5 years old.. I have no intentions of replacing yet and I am not worried about them...

Goodyear G614 is a nice tire but it’s expensive as the devil and the load capacities aren’t as good as the ST rated G series tires

YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:50 PM   #13
CWtheMan

Quote:

Until someone can post definitive numbers from the NHTSA that say the tires people don't like actually don't have failures, or they are all caused by owner abuse, then the conjectures you make are just that (and they do not have those stats) - just based on the same thing as the others with "opinions" or "preferences".
You know, I have always said my tire information is supported by government regulations & tire industry standards. I have hundreds of references I can attach to my posts. I've always said that a reader in doubt should ask for the supporting reference.

Many of the references are quit long and must be taken in context. Reading between the lines for self satisfaction will not produce the information for an accurate finding.

Here is a reference about the 47% under inflation of RV trailer tires that I mentioned earlier.

here is a lead-in statement for the document below.

"Apr 29, 2010 · The August 2005 NPRM (at 70 FR 51707) cited the Recreational Vehicle Safety Foundation's 2003 Annual Report to Industry, which found that 47 percent of the 442 RV trailers it weighed in 2003 were overloaded."

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rying-capacity
Old 03-08-2021, 04:49 AM   #14
Spletbr

This is all very helpful folks, thanks! Doesn’t look like any good F rated tires are out and about.
Cooper and Penny (pups)
Old 03-08-2021, 05:06 AM   #15
Northofu1

I have Carlisle LRF Tires on my 5er, it has a 10,000 lb GVWR. It came with LRE's.
Given the size of your rig, I would personally be looking at LRG rated tires. I am no expert, but based on what people in here say I would most likely go with Sailun.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:17 AM   #16
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I have Carlisle LRF Tires on my 5er, it has a 10,000 lb GVWR. It came with LRE's.
Given the size of your rig, I would personally be looking at LRG rated tires. I am no expert, but based on what people in here say I would most likely go with Sailun.
My Current 5ver is right around 13000 lbs. it came with "E" rated tires they lasted about a 1000 miles. Second set was "F" rated lasted about a 2 years. Third and current set "G" rated still going strong after 3 years and 30000 miles.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:33 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
You know, I have always said my tire information is supported by government regulations & tire industry standards. I have hundreds of references I can attach to my posts. I've always said that a reader in doubt should ask for the supporting reference.

Many of the references are quit long and must be taken in context. Reading between the lines for self satisfaction will not produce the information for an accurate finding.

Here is a reference about the 47% under inflation of RV trailer tires that I mentioned earlier.

here is a lead-in statement for the document below.

"Apr 29, 2010 · The August 2005 NPRM (at 70 FR 51707) cited the Recreational Vehicle Safety Foundation's 2003 Annual Report to Industry, which found that 47 percent of the 442 RV trailers it weighed in 2003 were overloaded."

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rying-capacity

This will be my last response to you on this but, what you "read" in a paper about some random testing performed "somewhere" 18 years ago that found 47% of the trailers were overloaded tells me what? The only thing it tells me is that at whatever location, on whatever day they found a trailer overweight. In the aggregate that came to 47% of the ones tested. OK.

Now, to leapfrog from that statement to the unsubstantiated, uncorroborated assessment that all tires are made equal and the fault for any failure lies with the particular RV owner that has the failure - that's a stretch too fer for me. It bears no resemblance to reality. Whatever they tested, wherever they tested it has absolutely NO bearing on the RV owner who has taken meticulous care of his tires/loading and then has a failure - none - particularly when he is standing there LOOKING at the damage and can assess, eyes on (not some paper he read somewhere), what the damage is. HE can THEN come to an informed conclusion. Of course we then have the pictures of these same, apparently infallible, tires in various stages of failure (from the inside) prior to blowing up...... As I told/tell my kids; what you read is how someone "thinks" things work. Real life is real life - what happens there will tell you if the "words" had merit. Have a good day!
Old 03-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #18
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
My Current 5ver is right around 13000 lbs. it came with "E" rated tires they lasted about a 1000 miles. Second set was "F" rated lasted about a 2 years. Third and current set "G" rated still going strong after 3 years and 30000 miles.
Heat and weight are not rubber's friends.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:07 AM   #19
Camp CA

Quote:
My 2020 High Country has ST235/80R16F tires by Ranier. I wanted to upgrade and have good things about Sailun, Carlisle and GY Endurance. Local tire dealer tried to sell me a set up Endurance tires but then I researched more and found out they were only E rated. I’m F. I saw some Carlisle tires but they were also E and the Sailuns were G I believe. Any good suggestions for upgrades? Thanks!
Definitely go with G rated tires. My fifth wheel trailer has Sailun Radial tire ST235/80R16G (14 ply) mfg part no. 541960
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #20
jadatis

Quote:
Is it realy needed to upgrade, give GVWR, GAWR's and howmany axles, or better weighed axle- load, even better axle-end weights , in the loading you go on trip.

Then I will calculate for you.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires