Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
Fishsizzle

Cougar VS Sprinter

Not to cause class warfare, but anyone know just how different these 2 lines are made.

I realize with price point that there has to be some different materials used in each.

Anyway, for just 5-6k more, I can get a new sprinter vs a 5-6 yr older used Cougar, many of which are the lights or half tons

Thanks in advance
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Others will have input I'm sure, and I've never owned a Sprinter so there's that.

Currently a Sprinter is classified as a "premium" trailer. The Cougar is classified as "luxury" or a step above. Although I've never owned a Sprinter I have been in them and I've owned a Cougar High Country which at the time was classified as "luxury" vs a regular Cougar. What does all that mean in real life?

The interiors of the "luxury" units will typically have better fitments, wall coverings, appliances (larger etc.). The woodwork will seen nicer. But...comparing a new Sprinter to a 5-6 year old Cougar "1/2 ton" may very well be apples to apples vs not.

When I was comparing Cougars and seriously contemplating buying one I kept walking into units with Cougar on the front and then units with Cougar 1/2 ton - they were NOT the same and very much felt it. I finally aske the sales guy why they felt and looked so differently inside. He said the Cougar was the upscale model (no longer made the High Country) and the 1/2 ton model was the lightweight unit and had lots of changes to "lighten" the unit; ie; some cheaper components and less "bling".

If you are comparing a 5-6 year old Cougar 1/2 ton to a new Sprinter you may very well be looking at similar amenities inside the units. If so, I would be all over the new unit....but that's just me. I'm not sure about the frame construction of the Sprinter vs Cougar 1/2 ton. My Cougar was aluminum and that is what I would want.

If I were you I would walk thru some new Sprinters (even if I had to drive a ways to do so) and compare them. Lots of new upgrades in newer trailers that weren't available in years past. Note that KeyTV is not one of them. Touch and feel them; look at the underbelly, slides, location of drain pulls etc. See how they feel to you and good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

I have never even seen a Sprinter but I can tell you that Cougar owners are by far the best looking group of people in the universe! Especially if they drag the camper down the road with a Ford truck! OOOOOOOH Yeah!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:42 AM   #4
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Not to cause class warfare, but anyone know just how different these 2 lines are made.

I realize with price point that there has to be some different materials used in each.

Anyway, for just 5-6k more, I can get a new sprinter vs a 5-6 yr older used Cougar, many of which are the lights or half tons

Thanks in advance
It all depends on what you like or want in a trailer. I had a premier 26rbpr and went to the X lite both 2015's. I like the Cougar for the full size queen, auto level, opposing slides, and storage.
Who knows, the whole trailer could collapse the next time I go camping

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #5
Fishsizzle

Great advise

What draws us to looking at the Sprinter, is the King Bed, and an updated look, well and it’s new.

https://www.rvusa.com/2021-keystone-...-wheel-2875260
Old 12-24-2020, 05:36 AM   #6
Northofu1

It looks ok, I like the darker interior colours. The white/ light grey makes it look like my condo. I also like opposing slides. Do the Sprinters come with auto level? I would never go back to manual.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:34 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

That is a nice floor plan. Only issue I saw was that shelf for television accessories; we have a DVD player, a Sat receiver, a DVR hard drive, etc and I wouldn't want to set that stuff on a shelf for travel nor look at that stuff with all the wires. It is nice that the TV is across from the seats.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #8
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
It looks ok, I like the darker interior colours. The white/ light grey makes it look like my condo. I also like opposing slides. Do the Sprinters come with auto level? I would never go back to manual.
Yeah that’s not our style either, they have a nice medium wood color
Old 12-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #9
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
That is a nice floor plan. Only issue I saw was that shelf for television accessories; we have a DVD player, a Sat receiver, a DVR hard drive, etc and I wouldn't want to set that stuff on a shelf for travel nor look at that stuff with all the wires. It is nice that the TV is across from the seats.
I was thinking same. Wondering though, I see glass in the cabinet doors above, do IR remotes still work through glass like in the old days when we had massive receivership CD players, Equalizers, big Amps powering all those speakers in our TV rooms?
Old 12-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Dunno.... can't remember stuff like that. I hate wires hanging all over though. Didn't notice the cabinet.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #11
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Dunno.... can't remember stuff like that. I hate wires hanging all over though. Didn't notice the cabinet.
Agree, I hate wires everywhere. If I can find one to look at, I’ll know if it has a hollow panel in back where wires can come down to tv
Old 12-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

One of the "pet peeves" many owners have is shelving that's attached to the bottom of the side brackets (as opposed to being attached above the brackets).... Seems they complain about the shelves "falling off" with every trip.

Looking at the shelving in the trailer you linked, it looks like the shelving is "nailed to the bottom of the side brackets".... Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
One of the "pet peeves" many owners have is shelving that's attached to the bottom of the side brackets (as opposed to being attached above the brackets).... Seems they complain about the shelves "falling off" with every trip.

Looking at the shelving in the trailer you linked, it looks like the shelving is "nailed to the bottom of the side brackets".... Hmmmmm

I failed to note that when I first looked at the pics. Worse, it appears the pantry shelves are made that way. If OP loads the shelves like I do they will be on the floor. Why they would do that completely escapes me. Guess if OP really wanted the trailer just installing some braces under the shelves would be simple and solve the problem.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I failed to note that when I first looked at the pics. Worse, it appears the pantry shelves are made that way. If OP loads the shelves like I do they will be on the floor. Why they would do that completely escapes me. Guess if OP really wanted the trailer just installing some braces under the shelves would be simple and solve the problem.
Easy fix.
Step one. Make a fist with predominant hand,
Step two, raise said fist above shelf,
Step three, strick shelf with fist (not too hard if you're older than say 7)
Step four, pick up dislodged shelf, flip it over on top of braces
Step five, now repeat steps one thru three.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Easy fix.
Step one. Make a fist with predominant hand,
Step two, raise said fist above shelf,
Step three, strick shelf with fist (not too hard if you're older than say 7)
Step four, pick up dislodged shelf, flip it over on top of braces
Step five, now repeat steps one thru three.

Now, when step 3 occurs and the fiberboard shelf splits in half due to said blow from raising fist in 2 do we then go ahead with step 5?? (Sorry, got Bing in one ear and laptop in one eye).
Old 12-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #16
Fishsizzle

Ill have to look when I get home. I can’t zoom in and see what you all are talking about on my phone. Wants to keep flipping to next pic when I try and zoom in
Old 12-31-2020, 09:04 AM   #17
LV_Tom

Quote:
I have never even seen a Sprinter but I can tell you that Cougar owners are by far the best looking group of people in the universe! Especially if they drag the camper down the road with a Ford truck! OOOOOOOH Yeah!

I concur!!!!

2017 F-250 CC 6.2 Gas
2011 27RLSWE Cougar
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Now, when step 3 occurs and the fiberboard shelf splits in half due to said blow from raising fist in 2 do we then go ahead with step 5?? (Sorry, got Bing in one ear and laptop in one eye).
I should amend that to read "tap lightly around the perimeter".
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #19
Bugsmema

I’m not sure if you’re looking at a 5er sprinter or a pull along sprinter. We have the pull along, I Love it!! It’s a 333FKS. 34’/39’ bumper to bumper. Has opposing slides in kitchen/living room. Slide in bedroom with king bed. Not sure which one you’re looking at but if you want more info, let me know!!
Bugsmema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:00 PM   #20
ewbldavis

For what it's worth...

A couple floor plans we liked were Sprinters. Newer Sprinters I don't think are as nice as the older ones, and honestly the price point for the ones we looked at were similar to the Cougar.

As mentioned, the Cougar is more "luxury", and I agree - we got a lot more "standard" goodies with our Cougar than the Sprinter, and I think the quality was a little better in the Cougar. If you can spring for a new Cougar, they have some of the real nice features similar to the Montana. We have not been disappointed.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, sprinter