Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
Boudreau

Winter Usage—Montana Model 3120RL20

My wife and I recently purchased a 2020 Montana 5th wheel, Model 3120RL20. We use our RV year round. I knew my old trailer well as far as knowing what to do/not do in order to camp in below freezing weather.

We live in Oregon, but travel throughout the west. I’m interested in hearing from anyone who has a similar Montana trailer-might be older-and any suggestions they might have as to things to do, or not do when camping in below 32 degree weather to avoid any headaches.

Thank you in advance for any helpful information you are able to provide.

Rhett & Jean Boudreau
Boudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
jasin1

Belated welcome Wish I had some insight or experience in winter camping but I’m new to it myself and trying to see what my fiver limits are
Old 11-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #3
rhagfo

We camp host and have seen temps in the mid teens without issues. We do run the furnace to keep the basement heated. We have installed RV Comfort Systems “Cheap Heat” electric add-on heating system so don’t used propane.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
gearhead

I have been in overnight mid teens in our previous Montana HC. Most info will be generic.
Look for any exposed water lines. I found lines in the front storage bay going to the washing machine that were next to the bay door. I used black foam pipe insulation on them. I used 2 old fashioned "trouble lights" plugged in to the storage bay outlet to keep the bay area warm. Leave them on 24/7. Be sure your dump hose is as dry as possible. I filled up my fresh water tank and used that instead of the water hose.
I used a small electric space heater as a supplement to the furnace. Be sure your furnace kicks on occasionally to throw heat to the tanks and basement. An electric bed blanket works great.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I have been in overnight mid teens in our previous Montana HC. Most info will be generic.
Look for any exposed water lines. I found lines in the front storage bay going to the washing machine that were next to the bay door. I used black foam pipe insulation on them. I used 2 old fashioned "trouble lights" plugged in to the storage bay outlet to keep the bay area warm. Leave them on 24/7. Be sure your dump hose is as dry as possible. I filled up my fresh water tank and used that instead of the water hose.
I used a small electric space heater as a supplement to the furnace. Be sure your furnace kicks on occasionally to throw heat to the tanks and basement. An electric bed blanket works great.
Also note that if you have a residential fridge in the slide, you need to turn off the icemaker and turn off the water to the icemaker and drain the line if expecting temperatures below freezing.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
We camp host and have seen temps in the mid teens without issues. We do run the furnace to keep the basement heated. We have installed RV Comfort Systems “Cheap Heat” electric add-on heating system so don’t used propane.
How hard was the cheap heat to install? We have the “truck” line.

The wiring was my biggest question

We are year rounding now in the Alpine.

OP, there is an awesome heated hose made in Klamath falls, Or. (heat wire is in the hose) has a thermostat so it Doesn’t run all the time

When is real cold we have the water tank full and forgo the hose.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:27 PM   #7
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Also note that if you have a residential fridge in the slide, you need to turn off the icemaker and turn off the water to the icemaker and drain the line if expecting temperatures below freezing.
Ahh yes. The drain was a bugger to find too.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:54 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
How hard was the cheap heat to install? We have the “truck” line.

The wiring was my biggest question

We are year rounding now in the Alpine.

OP, there is an awesome heated hose made in Klamath falls, Or. (heat wire is in the hose) has a thermostat so it Doesn’t run all the time

When is real cold we have the water tank full and forgo the hose.
Well if you are comfortable with line voltage (120/240) wiring not hard at all.
In my rig the furnace is under the kitchen peninsula and the 6" plenum extension with the heating unit in it, would have lined up right behind cabinet stile. So I needed to fabricate a 3" plenum extension, so I would have access to the heating element and connections.
At the time we installed the system it was stated that it could only run at either 120 volts (20 amps, 1,800 watts) OR 240 volts (30 amps 5,000 watts). Once I got the unit I realized that I could get it to work on either a 30 amp or 50 amp service by simply changing a few wiring connections that took about 20 minutes. The builder later created an automatic switch over device that works great and was an easy add-on.
We have a 32' maybe 3 season 5er that I have improved to 4 season, when on a 30 amp service and 1,800 watts of heat it will maintain temp down to about 28 degrees, raising takes a long time. What I do then is switch to gas on the wall switch and bring up the temp then switch back to electric.
Beside not consuming a lot of gas, I love the instant heat! The element and fan come on at the same time so you don't have the 15 seconds of fan run before the gas ignites.

Below is the 3" plenum extension I needed to fabricate.

This is the unit installed and the extension so the access to the connections cleared the cabinet.

I also wanted the gas/electric switch at the t-Stat location so this required drilling some holes and fishing the wires about 12' to the furnace location.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #9
vincewhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreau View Post
My wife and I recently purchased a 2020 Montana 5th wheel, Model 3120RL20. We use our RV year round. I knew my old trailer well as far as knowing what to do/not do in order to camp in below freezing weather.

We live in Oregon, but travel throughout the west. I’m interested in hearing from anyone who has a similar Montana trailer-might be older-and any suggestions they might have as to things to do, or not do when camping in below 32 degree weather to avoid any headaches.

Thank you in advance for any helpful information you are able to provide.

Rhett & Jean Boudreau
Run your furnace while driving in freezing weather. Remember to turn on your tank heaters. Weatherstrip under your steps and on your door hinges. Add space heaters to supplement furnace. Remove snow and ice BEFORE closing slides. Skirting is helpful but expensive and a pain for short stays.
vincewhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod, montana, winter