Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2020, 05:01 AM   #1
malcod

New 5er - buy extended warranty?

Planning on purchasing 2021 cougar 30rls 5th wheel. Curious how many of you go for the 7 yr extended warranty? After reading some of the posts, there seems to be some issues with new trailers that show up once you start using it. The one yr warranty may not be much help, and none at start of second season.
Any comments?
malcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:17 AM   #2
ChuckS

My opinion is you are wasting your money on any extended warranty from an RV place... if you can do basic home repairs and have basic mechanical and electrical skill sets you should instead bank that money for the extended warranty..

And yes I bought one of those warranties once and it was worthless and dealership was less than stellar

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:28 AM   #3
Rber1234

I bought the extended warranty and that only covered mechanical things that break. The way the salesperson told me that it covered most everything but it didn’t. Would I do it again, No. If you do go with extended warranty make sure it covers all the things you want covered.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:56 AM   #4
travelin texans

On most the "exclusion" list is longer than the "included" list! Generally require an annual inspection, on your $$$, by an "authorized agent" or warranty is void. Take a magnifying glass with you to read the fine print.
I agree with others bank the money for the "just in case" big stuff that may occur after the initial warranty & fix the small stuff yourself.
If physically or mechanically unable to do the repairs yourself then rv ownership is not going to be a pleasant experience while your rv sits at dealer waiting it's turn for repairs. ALL RVs, new or old, regardless of brand or price, will ALWAYS require some sort of maintenance.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

There are appliances and the roof membrane that have a manufacturer's warranty beyond 1 year. Typically the "extended warranties" are actually an insurance policy. Many of them have so many excursions and provisions they are rendered useless.

Typically those policies require the dealer perform maintenance that will cost a lot of money. Most folks around here recommend taking that money and setting it aside for a "repair fund" as you'll make out better in the end, even more so if you're financing that extra amount over a long term loan.

If you are seriously considering this I have a recommendation. As with any policy, contract, take the time to read and understand what that paperwork says and means. It doesn't turn your RV into a condo where "everything and anything" gets fixed under the contract. The other consideration is that its not like a car repair where you take it in today and pick it up the same day. Often trailers can be at a dealer lot for days before being looked at and that's weeks after making an "appointment".

Your starting off on the right direction by asking the questions now before signing on the dotted line.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:07 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

First, the "extended warranty" is not an actual "warranty" but, like the phone calls we're all getting every night at dinnertime, an insurance policy to cover the expired warranty on the car you just traded 2 years ago...... Nuisance calls ??? YEP !!!

Second, as stated, the exclusion list is far longer than the inclusion list, so more is NOT covered than IS covered....

Third, most of the "high dollar items" in the trailer are covered by the manufacturer's warranty, which in many cases (refer, air conditioner, water heater, furnace, range, converter/power center, TV, radio, water pump, etc) is longer than the Keystone 1 year warranty. Most of them are covered for at least 2 (sometimes 3) years by their manufacturer.

Fourth, the "running gear" is also covered by the manufacturer for an extended time frame. Dexter, I believe, has a 6 year warranty and Lippert has either a 4 or 5 year warranty depending on the size/employment of the axle/spring assemblies.

So, in reality, you're not "buying an extended warranty that kicks in to cover most things that break after the first year".... You're actually buying an insurance policy that covers "A FEW THINGS" that typically cost less than the $500 deductible while the major things are still covered by the manufacturer and are excluded from the insurance policy....

There's a reason those companies prosper... It's because they're making money from people who don't know any better......

Sure there are a "few" purchasers who make out like a bandit... The rest "fund the profits for those few"....

Like life insurance, you're actually doing a "Las Vegas bet" that you'll die and make money rather than live and pay the premiums... Seems like things are "bass-akwards" in both RV extended warranties and in life insurance.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
Northofu1

My vote is no on extended warranties.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #8
dutchmensport

The first year, everything is covered under manufacturers warranty. Anything that will fail will fail in the first year. Second year, is usually a result of wear and tear. Extended warranties get tricky, as there are many exclusions. For example they may replace the broken widgit, but you'll pay for the labor and all the screws that are connected, because the screws were not the problem. You've got to read the warranties very careful.

If you get a 3 year extended warranty, the first year still falls under the manufacturers 1 year. So, really, you are getting only 2 years out of that 3 year warranty.

If you really want the extended warranty, then check and see if you can enroll in the 11th month after you take possession. That way, you'll have 4 years coverage, not just 3. First year, manufacturer; 2-4 years extended (and now you are truly getting that 3 year "EXTENDED" warranty and not 2 years of truly extended. Just check it out before you sign and part with your money. .... Oh, they will throw at you, a year from now it will cost more. Do you know why? It's because they know year 1 is covered by the manufacturer. If you get the extended warranty at the end of your 1 year ownership, anything breaks down now, truly is on them.... and they know it. Ask what the cost is if you wait a year.

Another thing ... most RV owners sell their first, second, and third RV, usually within the 2nd to 4th year of ownership. If you sell or trade your camper after 2 years, you've just paid for a 7 year warranty and it was active for only 1 year. THEY just made a killing off you as you probably will not get a pro-rated refund back when you no longer own the camper. They ARE counting on you selling in 2 years if not sooner.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #9
dutchmensport

And remember, IF you actually use the extended warranty, you STILL have to pay your deductible. The deductible may cost more than the part being replaced.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:02 AM   #10
chunker

[QUOTE=JRTJH;414200]First, the "extended warranty" is not an actual "warranty" but, like the phone calls we're all getting every night at dinnertime, an insurance policy to cover the expired warranty on the car you just traded 2 years ago...... Nuisance calls ??? YEP !!!

John when I'm bored I'll wait and punch 1 and start the conversation. Seems they don't want to cover my 1986 Yugo even though I tell them it's good condition. I hate being hung up on by a scammer.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

[QUOTE=chunker;414394]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
First, the "extended warranty" is not an actual "warranty" but, like the phone calls we're all getting every night at dinnertime, an insurance policy to cover the expired warranty on the car you just traded 2 years ago...... Nuisance calls ??? YEP !!!

John when I'm bored I'll wait and punch 1 and start the conversation. Seems they don't want to cover my 1986 Yugo even though I tell them it's good condition. I hate being hung up on by a scammer.
I did something similar recently. The recording said "to unsubscribe press..." Unsubscribe? Would that imply that I "subscribed" in the first place? So I got a human, at least I [I]think[I] it was, and demanded that they tell me who impersonated me and "subscribed" for this nonsense. Told them I was going to call the FBI because someone was impersonating me without my knowledge.

Long pause before I heard a dial tone. That was several months ago BUT, they haven't called back. Probably a note next to the phone number about that "crazy guy, do jot call".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #12
seymour presents

We bought our Montana last August from CAmping World and while most of the transaction went ok, things got a bit heated in the finance office. As we went through the paperwork, we finally came to the extended warranty sales pitch. I told him we're probably not interested but I'll listen anyway. He laid out 3 tiers of benefits and when he quoted the prices, I just about fell out of my chair.

Gold $13,000
Silver $11,000
Bronze $9000
All these were 5 year I believe. Regardless, I said no. So he then started the high pressure crap which only pissed me off. He said he would sell any one of those at his cost. Out of curiosity I asked how much for the bronze.

$2650

Thats one hell of a mark up. I almost walked. But long story short, in order to keep the peace with my wife, we bought the warranty.
But then a month later I went in and cancelled and got a full refund. And glad I did because I took the time to read the paperwork at home and as others have said, there are more exclusions then inclusions
seymour presents is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty